The Crystal Maze Returns

Soldato
I remember watching this when I was little. I vaguely recall getting excited by Future World and Medieval World and not really understanding what was special about Industrial World. I don't think I liked Aztec zone much either. I think I just identified it with beaches where adults just wanted to lie around and not do anything. Also, there was a strange bald man prancing around a lot who turns out to have been Richard O'brien.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40354288

Heart-breaking piece in the article:

"Industrial's quite interesting because it's almost like a period set now," Dillon says.

"There's so few elements from the original in daily life now. So much industrial landscape has disappeared, we don't do industry so much in this country anymore."

"So its almost like a period thing now that you look back on and go, 'oh yes, that's what it used to be when you went to a factory or an industrial landscape.'"

Wonder how long it will be before the BBC is forced to apologise for "Cultural Appropriation" with Aztec Zone? :D :/

I've never heard of the guy who is presenting...

giphy.gif

Great stuff, I love how O'Brien blasts them at the end. Non of this "oh well good effort" post millennium nonsense.

Yep. Richard O'brien, watching those clips, never really feels like a "celebrity" or a "presenter". More someone who has suddenly found a bunch of children dumped in his house for an hour and is playing with them whilst silently contemplating the failure of parenting that produced them.

FFS missed it. Can someone tell me when this repeats please. Thank you.

Virgin Media has it on thier TiVo catch-up and it's in 240p lol. Can't bear to watch anything less than 1080i.

You can watch it on http://ww.channel4.com . I have to warn you now, you'll need a very strong tolerance for loud, camp, attention seeking twazzocks. Well, one of them anyway. Thankfully, he gets locked in. Staggeringly irritating person.

Surprisingly (to me), Richard Ayoade was pretty poor as a presenter. I like him as a comic actor and I like him on gameshows as a contestant. But he's just so low-energy and meta-humour. All "did you believe that special effect?" and such and "the magic of editing". I don't think you can simultaneously be a good presenter and mock the thing you're presenting. Richard O'brien put in energy and went for it. He didn't have this shield of disdain that Ayoade did. O'brien did take the ****, but he was still on the side of the show.

Back
Top Bottom