The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
I'll admit that at the ripe old age of 37 and well into my second midlife crisis... I've hit miserable old man status pretty early but I just don't get the obsession with having your car excessively pop and bang.

To put this in perspective in my MX5 if I'm giving it the beans and the exhaust is nice and hot and I come off the throttle, shift and nail it I'll sometimes be treated to a little pop from the exhaust. Equally it will give a little burble on the overrun at times, this I like. Quite a lot in fact, it just adds to the experience of driving it. This isn't what this thread is about though.

What I'm talking about here are these 'burble maps' (at least I think that's what they are called) which will create a seemingly constant 21 gun salute on the overrun in all driving conditions. What is the point in that? I saw a Youtube video of some guy getting his Evo mapped and his words to the mapper were "I want it to pop and bang, like, all the time" followed by a video of him grinning like a Cheshire cat when a drive down the high street sounds like the scene from Apocalypse Now.

On my drive to work there is a Fiesta ST and pootling along at 30 mph its BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG burrrrrr BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG. It sounds daft.

So... whats the deal?

Soldato
OP
I was reminded about another current pet hate by an old Bora I see regularly on my way home... hardcut ('popcorn' :rolleyes:) diesel limiters. This mouth breather has to demonstrate he has one of these devices (or maps, I don't know) at every junction and on every gear change. Weirdly he never actually seems to pull any distance on the rest of the traffic just doing the commute slog though :/

Back
Top Bottom