The deliveroo scam

Soldato
A debit card I have never used, it sits in a drawer at home, gets charged £38 by deliveroo for I suppose, food delivered. On telling the bank and mentioning the payee on my statement I get raised eyebrows and "Oh that is a common scam". WTF, why have you, the bank, not had harsh words with the company to improve its processes. Then they say that we will accept it's fraud this time but whether we would reimburse you again is doubtful. LIKE IT'S MY FAULT!

Neither me nor my wife uses phone apps or are able to on our POS phones. We do not order food over the Internet by tablet or phone. Some El crappo company has systems so poor that they obviously do not take any security info from the buyer and it's our ******* fault.

A certain bank will lose its customers, we have already moved 10K from its coffers, because we do not believe that they take things seriously. It also took over 30 minutes to get through on their fraud line. Perhaps we should consider this a success.

Associate
So you bought some fastfood in store with your debit card that you don't use and you discovered deliveroo has charged you despite never using them?

I don't follow. I can't see the relation here. Definitely need more details on how this is a scam.

Soldato
OP
I feel your pain OP

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/deliveroo-charge-on-cc.18929805/

^ Took me over 2hrs to get through to Lloyds fraud team so you where lucky. Cards where cancelled and new one’s issued and no problems since.
Yeah it's probably a flukey thing where cards are never presented to the buyer and no security asked for. As the card "used" has never been used for anything (it is a joint account used for pension in, bills out) I have two other current accounts one used for online payments only. These have never been 'targeted'.
TSB seemed well aware that there was an issue though and their statement that if it happened again I may not be reimbursed was quite shocking. I'm still a bit peed off but I will give them another chance before closing all contact.

Associate
Lloyds TSB used to be great (in my experience) pre splitting between Lloyds and TSB.

Post split Lloyds then managed to "lose" an account containing c. £10k for a few months that I was a trustee on - they had zero records of it, proof of existence had to be provided from myself with prior paperr statements - thankfully it wasnt an online account so we had a paper trail.

Despite not admitting any form of liability, upon finally sorting the issue (which took about a further 4 weeks) they paid compensation.

I stopped using them as my own bank soon after that.

Associate
Yeah it's probably a flukey thing where cards are never presented to the buyer and no security asked for. As the card "used" has never been used for anything (it is a joint account used for pension in, bills out) I have two other current accounts one used for online payments only. These have never been 'targeted'.
TSB seemed well aware that there was an issue though and there statement that if it happened again I may not be reimbursed was quite shocking. I'm still a bit peed off but I will give them another chance before closing all contact.

Check if you can put a restriction on your debit card so that it cannot be used for online payments or gambling, only for use in shops. I only use my debit card for cash withdraws, everything goes on a CC where they refund any fraud transactions.

Permabanned
So how are these people getting successful payments. What are they doing to have these types of transactions going through successfully?

It happened to me and didn’t even get any notification about it until I checked online.

I would prefer to have every non-direct debit authorized by clicking accept on a notification. I know monzo does this I think.

Associate
Lloyds TSB used to be great (in my experience) pre splitting between Lloyds and TSB.

Post split Lloyds then managed to "lose" an account containing c. £10k for a few months that I was a trustee on - they had zero records of it, proof of existence had to be provided from myself with prior paperr statements - thankfully it wasnt an online account so we had a paper trail.

Despite not admitting any form of liability, upon finally sorting the issue (which took about a further 4 weeks) they paid compensation.

I stopped using them as my own bank soon after that.

That's pretty alarming, especially given how paperless is standard now for online like you mention. I can only guess was this a result of the bank split and offline records not being accounted for?

Associate
So how are these people getting successful payments. What are they doing to have these types of transactions going through successfully?

It happened to me and didn’t even get any notification about it until I checked online.

I would prefer to have every non-direct debit authorized by clicking accept on a notification. I know monzo does this I think.

Well this is where it gets interesting. My wife and I both had Deliveroo transactions for mid £30's on our CC's within a couple of days of each other. My wife's CC has never been used outside the house and only a couple of times in the past year on Amazon.

When I spoke to the fraud team at Lloyds they informed me that Deliveroo would have required the long number, expiry and security code from the rear of the CC to have been able to put through the payment. Where the **** would they get my wife's security code?

Both cards where stored on Amazon and Paypal only, nowhere else. So it's either one of those or the bank where the leak occurred.

Permabanned
Well this is where it gets interesting. My wife and I both had Deliveroo transactions for mid £30's on our CC's within a couple of days of each other. My wife's CC has never been used outside the house and only a couple of times in the past year on Amazon.

When I spoke to the fraud team at Lloyds they informed me that Deliveroo would have required the long number, expiry and security code from the rear of the CC to have been able to put through the payment. Where the **** would they get my wife's security code?

Both cards where stored on Amazon and Paypal only, nowhere else. So it's either one of those or the bank where the leak occurred.

I don't know how they are doing it I really don't understand how they get numbers right. If transactions are been declined due to brute force why isn't it been stopped. It's as though the banks want these transactions to go through and it's easier to wait for the person to call up just to refund it. Really doesn't make sense to me.

Fraud in the UK has increased massively during covid it appears it's everywhere now.

Back
Top Bottom