The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
So your complete absence from the thread during the last 3 wickets was due to... what exactly?

Good to have you back now that England is rallying! :)

I know this is alien to you guys but in the UK we have this thing called WORK and not just "other forums I contribute heavily to" line :D

Really is good to have you back Evangelion the ashes wouldn't be the same without you

Associate
179-3 Ballance reaches 50. He's not looking anywhere near as fluent as Root but we don't need him to score at a high strike rate, we just need him to score runs and tire the Aussies. Then Stokes, Buttler and Moeen can have some fun.

Soldato
Well as per usual, Joe Root pulls the game back and digs in for England. What a stunning century, and he doesn't seem to be done just yet either! The Aussie bowling attack looks deflated already and it's only the first day. I also loved Stokes' six off of Jonhson. When I watched the replay I actually said "Welcome to England, b****!" I think it was a good thing that Evangelion bailed from this thread when he did. He can't really be as smug now as he was earlier today :)

Soldato
Well as per usual, Joe Root pulls the game back and digs in for England. What a stunning century, and he doesn't seem to be done just yet either! The Aussie bowling attack looks deflated already and it's only the first day. I also loved Stokes' six off of Jonhson. When I watched the replay I actually said "Welcome to England, b****!" I think it was a good thing that Evangelion bailed from this thread when he did. He can't really be as smug now as he was earlier today :)

He always bails or says I knew England would do this or that. All amusing in its own little way :o

Soldato
Missed most of the play as I was working last night so I've only just woken up.

I was having a conversation with a mate yesterday about sports personality of the year and how there wasn't really any clear winner so far. I suggested Joe root might be a good shout. This morning he was 66/1...now 33/1. Wish I'd stuck some on him. I reckon he's not far off, and if we win the ashes he's got a very good chance.

Associate
Was about to post about Clarke running out of ideas, then he brings Starch back on and gets Root. 280-5.

Apart from firing it in at Ballance, Johnson has looked very ineffective.

Soldato
I think if we lose another wicket before 320-330 it will all fall apart. We need to get to 350 really then crack on for 450/500 it's still shaky ground at the moment with another new ball due.

Associate
Buttler giving his wicket away was a frustrating end to the day. A day of could's and should's for both sides but overall I'd say a fair score considering England's poor early batting and Australia's wayward bowling.

Wonder if the Aussies will still be claiming that Johnson is better than Steyn when he brings up his century tomorrow. Yes the pitch isn't suited to him but 0-87 off 20 is poor.

Soldato
I was only just thinking about that about 15 minutes ago. I was wondering whether the new coach would create such an upset, removing Cook and putting Root in as Captain and at 3 if he's up to it. He essentially opens the batting now anyway. Unfortunately as has been the trend recently, Cook, Bell, and even Ballance are horrendously out of form and are dead weight. They need to be shown the door for the younger talent. A few recent good games doesn't absolve them of their abysmal record over the last year or so. And I really can't believe they've brought Moeen Ali back on as the preferred spin bowler. Rashid would be a way better candidate, and as he proved against New Zealand, he can more than bat as well.

Soldato
Apart from firing it in at Ballance, Johnson has looked very ineffective.

England are also probably well prepared for Johnson this time round though. Starc and Hazlewood will be the difference makers I think.

England still have big problems opening, not sure why, so today's total is pretty good considering. And someone promote Joe Root already, what a player.

Back
Top Bottom