The Expanse

Soldato
Interesting, any way they could tell it on the show (fingers crossed) without the time jump?

Tbh I said last year in this thread, folks in the expanse universe are regularly living to well over 100 years old. They could do the 30 year time jump with minimal make up.

I do think that time jump is needed considering what happens in that time on Laconia. Its hard to elaborate without major spoilers.

Soldato
Avoiding spoilers please. Does anyone know if this season has spoilers for the final book? I’ve read the books before TV and upto now nothing has been an issue. I’d rather read the book than the series for the story wrap up. But if the series wraps up before the books I’ll watch but if it completes I won’t. Anyone care to tell me?

Soldato
Really enjoyed The Expanse for the first 3 seasons then it started to dip in 4 before 5 and 6 were found very wanting for me, sadly. Found it a little open-ended and confusing with what was going on at a few points too. Perhaps I’m getting slow in my old age or something.

Acting-wise Marco and Filip were atrocious, and Naomi was just meh from their introduction onwards.

Will miss having the series around though (and Amos and Drummer!) unless they do a few more. Must catch up on a few more of the books too!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Avoiding spoilers please. Does anyone know if this season has spoilers for the final book? I’ve read the books before TV and upto now nothing has been an issue. I’d rather read the book than the series for the story wrap up. But if the series wraps up before the books I’ll watch but if it completes I won’t. Anyone care to tell me?

Not really, it's 98% focus on Marcus. You will be fine watching this and reading the last book.

Soldato
I've finished S6, but SHOULD a new series get picked up, it will no doubt be quite some time away.

Has the books finished or more to come? If i wanted to finish the story by the books, can someone link or title the book(s) i need?

Soldato
I've finished S6, but SHOULD a new series get picked up, it will no doubt be quite some time away.

Has the books finished or more to come? If i wanted to finish the story by the books, can someone link or title the book(s) i need?

7 - Persepolis Rising
8 - Tiamat's Wrath
9 - Leviathan Falls - Final book.

However, i'd really recommend starting from the beginning, there are some stark character changes that won't carry over to the final trilogy, it's not an entirely smooth transition from Season 6 to Book 7.

About 2/3 into final book and finally getting some real answers ;)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
TBH they carved up the current book to TV situation, they could quite easily forget about the timeline and just get on with making series 7. It`s a shame the contractual stuff has stopped it being made. That being said I like the idea of taking a risk and waiting 10-15 years to make the next and final one. Nice pension for the actors as well.

Soldato
As it was squeezed into a limited time, it was good. Certainly could have been longer, but for what time they had, yeah, pretty cool.

Certainly wasn't battle on hoth assault standards.

Caporegime
You must be joking? What ground battle??? A single walk way behind some terrible CGI. A single enemy solider on screen and that was it. Awful.

Lol I wanted to say this at the time but everyone was so happy.
Bobby just did exactly what she did in series 2 in the crater simulations. Which was a nice call back but really hard? She painted her own targets? Anyway lol.

Commissario
Amos and the others were in Martian armour, just not the full on recon armour Bobby has which is probably in scarce supply. So they would have had some protection, just not the full body armour Bobby has. Amos doe get shot while protecting her but as long as the hit you take isn't instantly fatal the suits are able to seal wounds and pump your body with drugs to keep you going until you can get it taken care of (from the books). I think in his mind he was just going to sacrifice himself to protect her as her suit was about to fail. Then the Roci turns up.

Plus main characters have plate mail +4 while extras get the regular stuff.
Aye Bobby was basically Martian Marine ground assault, from memory a fairly elite part of the Martian armed forces who amongst other things were trained to operate in higher than 1g with ease (remembering that most Martians were not physically used to more than .6g), and her armour is the full up assault/heavy power armour needed to carry the full weapons outfit and amongst other things allow them to do long range/longer duration missions and jobs that include front line combat and assaulting fortified locations.

The rest of the team were wearing what is basically light armour, primarily intended for shipboard security/general use, with protection against light fire., but it's made of lighter/cheaper materials and misses any of the power assist functions.

You can see the difference to a degree when they're about to board the observation ship earlier in the series, everyone else is knocked over/struggling to stand in their standard Martian armoured suits, whilst Bobby is able to stand and move fairly easily as her armour kicks in.

IIRC all the Martian ships carry multiple sets of the light armour as standard (they're the suits you see on the Rocinante hanging up), but the Marine armour goes with it's user because it is customised and too expensive/limited/sensitive to have it sitting around away from trained personal.

Basically Bobby was wearing a light tank in terms of armour, whilst everyone else was wearing kevlar with plate carriers.

And as you say all the suits, right up from the belters basic ones have some ability to seal around punctures* to prevent people dying due to minor accidents, I can't remember if in the books the suits are described as having the ability to apply medications to help reduce shock etc or not (it's a fairly common thing in even basic suits in many sci fi books, along with things like automatic tourniquets on more advanced suits so major damage to a limb will result in the suit basically writing it off to save the wearer).

*We already see similar tech in use in aircraft fuel tanks (especially combat aircraft), and the goo you put in tyres either to fix a puncture or as a preventative if it's likely to be exposed to hard use.

Commissario
TBH they carved up the current book to TV situation, they could quite easily forget about the timeline and just get on with making series 7. It`s a shame the contractual stuff has stopped it being made. That being said I like the idea of taking a risk and waiting 10-15 years to make the next and final one. Nice pension for the actors as well.
I don't think they could carry straight on, as the events of the next book from memory are set years later because it allows the Laconian forces time to build up their navy and exploit the protomolecule, at the end of season 6 they've only been on Lacuna for a year or so and are only just starting to work with the artefacts there.

Soldato
7 - Persepolis Rising
8 - Tiamat's Wrath
9 - Leviathan Falls - Final book.

However, i'd really recommend starting from the beginning, there are some stark character changes that won't carry over to the final trilogy, it's not an entirely smooth transition from Season 6 to Book 7.

About 2/3 into final book and finally getting some real answers ;)

Awesome - thanks for that.

Associate
I don't think they could carry straight on, as the events of the next book from memory are set years later because it allows the Laconian forces time to build up their navy and exploit the protomolecule, at the end of season 6 they've only been on Lacuna for a year or so and are only just starting to work with the artefacts there.

I think they had (or if they do go forward) they're intending to pull it in a bit though

given Clarissa's implants look to be killing her in 5 years not 30

Soldato
Finally finished it. Am I right in thinking it was the last series ever?

Just a couple of questions, the guys arm that got cut off (rather graphicly), why couldn't they regrow it a second time, is them some lore reason?

Secondly when they assuapted the rail guns, why would you not put everybody in those suits baby had on, seemed like the obvious choice imo.

Back
Top Bottom