The Final Frontier *insert Spock's 3rd ear joke here*

Man of Honour
How Far Could Astronauts Go?

How far could an astronaut travel in a lifetime? Billions of light years, it turns out. But they ought to be careful when to apply the brakes on the return trip.

Ever since cosmologists discovered that the universe's expansion is accelerating, many have wondered just how much this will constrain what we could see with telescopes in the future. Distant regions of the universe will eventually be expanding so fast that light from any objects there can never reach us.

A nice little article I read over lunch today that I forgot to post, I especially like the terrifying conclusion at the end though meaning the space traveller that accepts the mission to sprawl the universe racing with expansion would only find nothing upon his return.

30-50yrs for the traveller = billions of years back in Earth time!

Man of Honour
OP
Do you need constant thrust? Or would travelling in a vacuum only require one initial burst?

The article says that an Asteroid can in theory do it and an asteroid is hardly being powered by Shell VPower now :p

It also says that the return journey will be most challenging because if the brakes are applied a fraction out then you'll be billions of light years away from Earth!

Back
Top Bottom