The Forest, free VR Update, 22nd May

Associate
OP
Is Resident Evil 7 VR available yet? I'll never play it myself as it is not my cup of boiled eyeballs, but its VR implementation on PS4 was really good I have heard.
Nope still strangely absent on PCVR, to be honest I have given up on it now, my back catalogue of VR games is growing weekly anyway.
If there’s now announcement at E3 then I wouldn’t expect it to ever leave Sony’s grasp

Soldato
That is strange, I remember reading that it had 1 year of PSVR exclusivity, but it's been out for more than a year now...

Associate
OP
Bought it this morning due to the impending VR update, slightly disappointed with the stuff I’ve read on reddit and that’s it not fully implemented as yet, but when I get time I’ll see for my self

Soldato
I already own it so will give it a bash and report back. A friend has a coop server running so I might go in there and noodle around

Associate
OP
Requested a refund, while the immersion is fantastic, the games burry mess, I’ll keep checking on updates and hopefully I’ll re buy in the future, I have lots to play with little time as it is, no point me adding a game to my account that I won’t play in its currant state.

Still waiting for a VR survival game... hopefully this is it

Soldato
Requested a refund, while the immersion is fantastic, the games burry mess, I’ll keep checking on updates and hopefully I’ll re buy in the future, I have lots to play with little time as it is, no point me adding a game to my account that I won’t play in its currant state.

Still waiting for a VR survival game... hopefully this is it

SURV1V3
Star Shelter
Subanutica
cyubeVR

Soldato
Just had a quick jam with it. Image quality is acceptable to me, not quite Skyrim, but a step up from Fallout. Performs ok, frames were up and no stuttering. There's an absolute ton of stuff to do from just glancing the survival guide.

I'm guessing the spiel of this game is get it done quick, because when those creatures turned up things turned south extremely quickly. The controls do seem a mess though, I think it's 50/50 me not knowing how things work, and a lot of too finer boundaries that make life harder than it needs to be.

I did have my finger on the refund button because of the half and half opinion of the release, but it's definitely a keeper for me. I never expect perfection from these shoehorned releases, specially the ones that drop from indie devs with no experience in the VR market with priorities on two fronts.

Associate
OP
Just had a quick jam with it. Image quality is acceptable to me, not quite Skyrim, but a step up from Fallout. Performs ok, frames were up and no stuttering. There's an absolute ton of stuff to do from just glancing the survival guide.

I'm guessing the spiel of this game is get it done quick, because when those creatures turned up things turned south extremely quickly. The controls do seem a mess though, I think it's 50/50 me not knowing how things work, and a lot of too finer boundaries that make life harder than it needs to be.

I did have my finger on the refund button because of the half and half opinion of the release, but it's definitely a keeper for me. I never expect perfection from these shoehorned releases, specially the ones that drop from indie devs with no experience in the VR market with priorities on two fronts.
A think I’ll avoid all ‘ported to VR’ games in the future, the controls just turn me off, even SkyrimVR, it’s incredible and the immersion of the open world and tension of the dungeons is just amazing, but the controls just awful, to the point that I don’t turn it on anymore.

Soldato
Gets better when you get the controls down, spent a couple of hours learning it back to front. I think they'll change a few things, some of the movements are too overcomplicated, left grip to use/left trigger to cycle/right trigger to activate/left grip (held) to use, all to do one basic task:(. The menu's are completely wrong, and they've done themselves no favours explaining absolutely nothing. I pieced together everything from reddit and good old trial and error.

The main thing to remember is play/interact with the icons over the physical object. That's the legacy of it being a ported VR retrofit in beta, I have confidence that things will change.

Last edited:
Soldato
They dropped the 2nd patch yesterday. Graphically it's improved, sharper less blur and shimmering in the distance. A few out the tasks are now visual interactions rather than button/menu driven. The opening menu now has a laser pointer, making life 100% easier.

Still a ways to go with some of the collisions that happen. Graphically it isn't far of as good as it's going to be imho, and a fantastic start in less than a week of introducing proper VR driven interactions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Patch 3

Added multiplayer, fixed the Vive triggers, proper handed bow control. Just had an hour on it, plays 100% better now the triggers aren't feathered on the deadzone.

Truly is the survival game you've been craving in VR. If you were put off by the initial release, time again to check it out.

Associate
OP
Patch 3

Added multiplayer, fixed the Vive triggers, proper handed bow control. Just had an hour on it, plays 100% better now the triggers aren't feathered on the deadzone.

Truly is the survival game you've been craving in VR. If you were put off by the initial release, time again to check it out.
Does it still have the ‘tacked on control’ feel? The survival genre is my favourite, and VR should be a natural fit for it, The Forest on paper ticked all the right boxes, but I got a refund and bought Subnautica instead, but I dont even play that much either..

Back
Top Bottom