The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
I think I cringed more watching that one than I have in any other. The reef bit and the fight in the tent. :(.

A couple of 'giggle' moments, some good footage of the trimaran, and the Alfa bit went some way towards redeeming it.

Does anyone else think that that Land Rover body was actually in quite good condition? I guess there must be some reason it was scrap but it wasnt obvious.

I think I cringed more watching that one than I have in any other. The reef bit and the fight in the tent. :(.

A couple of 'giggle' moments, some good footage of the trimaran, and the Alfa bit went some way towards redeeming it.

Does anyone else think that that Land Rover body was actually in quite good condition? I guess there must be some reason it was scrap but it wasnt obvious.

Agreed on all points. When CBC came on I was tempted to give up there, knowing the reef bit would continue and it was all that was left. Some smile worthy parts, but I feel the humour is a bit, well, obvious? There's almost no subtlety (not that TG was always subtle, but there was often detail that was easy to miss), the humour is very American.

And the fight scene. Again. It feels like sucking up and the whole reason TG sold well is the British humour which is very in vogue. This feels like an impersonation of TG USA.

I thought this one was a lot more relaxed humour-wise than some of the earlier episodes. Some parts still grind, like the fight and the celeb thing. But this one did genuinely make me laugh on several occasions. Especially the genuine camera escape shake when James was trying to hook the boat crane.

good episode, the usual rubbish in there.
loved the coral bit, when MAy shouts at hammond about the quick release, now that's how it should feel. Felt far less forced scripted, to the point where you aren't sure (for the most part) which bits are and arent.

Anyone else bothered by the occasional cameramen in shots, sometimes trying to hide behind cars, and also all the multiple cameras with multiple suckers mounted in the cars they are driving during long and medium shots? With BBC TG, they clearly used to remove these in car cameras before the outside shots. The only reason I noticed BBC TG did this was because the ameteurish Fifth Gear never bothered.

The occasional camera man in shot doesn't bother me for some reason - sometimes it can even be amusing but when mounted cameras or too many camera mounts appear though it does cheapen the production feel.

I actually like that sometimes in TG/TGT they sometimes involve the crew/camera operators - gives it a bit more of a real moment.

I think it makes it look more like a group of mates having a laugh. They have enough good filming to make up for it. And you know what? It makes it feel more "real".

I also can't say I particularly noticed it either.

would love to know the cost of stripping them like that, bet it was a very substantial amount per car.

and yes I've noticed mounts and cameramen etc, but doesn't bother me at all.

I enjoyed it. Every episode has been mostly entertaining imo. Some stuff is a little boring like the "killing the celebrity" bit. Hopefully they ditch that next season.

That Alfa seems to be getting plaudits from all over. Great news, always had a soft spot for them years before Top Gear told me I should too, mine were bought and sold well before it became cool. Big issue remains however.....their dealers.

its not actually that expensive.strip shell dip leave then out wash done.obviously if they knew it was for this show they would have had their pants down.:p

Good episode, the Guilia bit was the best. I'd have been happy to watch an entire episode just on that.

In fact everything else in that episode was a bit fast forward worthy.

French cars generally do hold up very well, the at least do something right and use mostly galvanised steel

I was referring more to their looks, although I should have mentioned that. :p But as you say, the French do actually choose a decent material for their car bodies, hence being in such good shape.

The Giulia film and James' film at Le Mans with the GT40 and P3 were both very good. I honestly think for the next series they should condense the series. Have episodes of proper car films, then episodes of cheap car challenges with non-scripted entertainment.

Last edited:
Sat down yesterday and was the first episode that I watched with the missus. She mentioned to me it has lost something from the previous series and wasn't as good. Me I am not to bothered but I guess the casual watchers see something different.

I also hate the way it has been Americanized. There is no way in hell that Clarkson would concede to call American football "football".

Back
Top Bottom