The Grand Tour

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
wez130;30493742 said:
Am i the only one that is looking forward to having both TGT and TG to watch every year now? I thought MLB did a great job last year on TG.

Both need to find their feet a bit but it's only good for cartainment types.

Rewatched the final top gear episode on Netflix. The one with the cheap suvs.

Hammond was far less forced and may far funnier. They just need to tone down a bit on TGT.

I actually think that both could settle this year and we'll get two good shows.

Forum mod;30475157 said:
Caught up on the last few episodes yesterday. That celebrity thing has to go, what a load of toss. Even during the last episode you could almost see James' face go "ffs, here we go again" when he did his routine "does that mean he's not coming on then?". That piece got very old very fast. As did the American. Get shot. What an irritating person. The drone bit in the beginning where it always falls out the sky is also meh but that's not really an issue. I like the little typos they have with the names in the intro. Some of the segments were great, some were crap, but for me at least the show really seemed to find its stride more towards the end, James and the winchers was fantastic, hilarious to watch as I suspect he really was fed up.

I hope they take the boatloads of feedback they've had to heart and learn from their mistakes. The show was entertaining but had loads of teething problems, but I think they're on the right track.

Roll on S2 :)

Almost every disliked point about The grand Tour is down to decisions that Amazon and BBC lawyers have forced upon the production team.

They cannot have a "News" section, so they now have Conversation Street.

They cannot mention a "Test Track" so they have the Eboladrome.

They cannot have any celebrity interviews, and they cannot show celebrities driving cars, so the only way they can feature celebrities, even briefly, is to kill them off in Celebrity Braincrash.

They can have a leader board, but they cannot have any handwritten times.

The race driver has to be American as Amazon have insisted on it. And the BBC lawyers say he has to talk, he cannot be silent, as that would be too close to Top Gear with a silent race driver.

The legal implications of having anything that is even close to Top Gear got more and more ridiculous apparently.

Andy Willman the producer has been reported as saying
“We went to Namibia to make a big film. The lawyers got out a film we had done for Top Gear in Botswana. They went through everything and they said, ‘There’s a scene in Top Gear where you’re in the middle of the Okavango and you go, “This scenery is beautiful”, so watch that you don’t do that.’

“So we were in the desert in Namibia and we had to go, “for legal reasons, this scenery is ****.”

This is possibly why so much of the scripting feels forced, as the presenters are not allowed to be so free and easy with their banter as they used to be, as that would possibly be regarded as too close to how they behaved in Top Gear.

Hopefully the production team will learn ways around some of these issues, and the team as a whole will be able to move forward and develop a new style of their own, I guess only time will tell.

They have a three season deal, personally I think it will take all three to settle down into something good.

More hopefully they will get to do more than three seasons, as lets be honest here, it was not until around season five or six that Top Gear really got settled and into its stride, and became the programme we all loved and miss.

I think TGT was rushed, they had a lot of publicity and needed to get it out there. It'll take time to mature into a format they are happy with, I'm sure we'll see plenty of change in the next one where they'll have more of an idea where they are, what they're doing and why.

Entai;30495633 said:
Almost every disliked point about The grand Tour is down to decisions that Amazon and BBC lawyers have forced upon the production team.

Interesting points and makes sense, but doesn't change the fact it is annoying and is perhaps born out of the fact that they have basically gone out to try and make a new version of TG rather than something a bit different.

CBC is a complete waste of space so if they cannot show celebs driving cars or whatever just axe the whole segment; perhaps it started off as some sort of clever dig at the legal situation but for the love of god don't persist with it.

One element I did quite like was touring the world giving them something a bit different to comment on each week, although it was a bit contrived in places playing to the audience.

Finally on the Dubai episode dunno if I just fell asleep and missed a segment but in the intro they had multiple clips from some sort of chase/convoy scene involving supercars on the streets and I was convinced it was going to form part of the episode, but it never did? Or did I get really confused :confused:

There was a lot of stuff in clips that never seem to get in the show, I remember the bit about a tank crashing through a wall in one, and them finding the old stig at a racetrack or something?

Not really understanding the hate for this.

The last series was dire but this series seems really good? Not finding much to criticise and don't understand why everyone is so anti Harris.

It's an enjoyable car show now.
I actually liked the last series too, i didnt understand the massive amount of hate for it. The more car shows the merrier as far as i am concerned....

Back
Top Bottom