The Gray Man | Netflix

Associate
It's like Netflix has a random film generator. Pick 3 or 4 stars, pick a popular genre and add a predictable plot with common tropes

I would give it 6/10 perfectly watchable once, couple of good action scenes and predictable plot

Soldato
Thought it was a good action movie, but It could've been so much better if they'd have made it a 15 or 18. I'll never understand why American movie studios insist on making a violent action movie and then gimping it for a PG-13 rating. It makes no sense.

Soldato
Thought it was a good action movie, but It could've been so much better if they'd have made it a 15 or 18. I'll never understand why American movie studios insist on making a violent action movie and then gimping it for a PG-13 rating. It makes no sense.

Money, pure and simple as the limited theatre release this got (approx 400 cinemas) means that PG-13 gets more bodies through the door than a 15/18 etc rating.

What is really odd is that the age rating should never effect a streaming only film yet they still reduce the rating down to PG-13 for no actual benefit as, for streaming only, the money has already been paid in a monthly fee irrespective of how many PG-13 or 18 rated films you watch.

Soldato
The second most popular movie on Netflix (88.55 million hours in its first three days), only beaten by the other 9/10 masterpiece that is Red Notice (148.72 million hours)

Thing is, it costs people nothing to give anything a punt when you pay for the service. Compared to a bit of consideration required as to whether to spend for example £12pp on a cinema ticket, maybe a drink first, dinner afterwards etc. Netflix's metrics are the equivalent of clickbait. Get the click, make the money. Job's a good'un.

Associate
Money, pure and simple as the limited theatre release this got (approx 400 cinemas) means that PG-13 gets more bodies through the door than a 15/18 etc rating.

What is really odd is that the age rating should never effect a streaming only film yet they still reduce the rating down to PG-13 for no actual benefit as, for streaming only, the money has already been paid in a monthly fee irrespective of how many PG-13 or 18 rated films you watch.

Indeed, definitely needed more edge, I felt like Chris was just dying to be more sadistic but edits wouldn't allow it to hit home without 15 or 18 come calling.

Caporegime
I was born in 1982 so have sort of lived through the birth of CGI.

Technically it was Westworld but the first real looking CGI thing was in the Abyss.

T2 and Jurassic Park were obviously important movies, but from the mid 90's until the early 2010's there been some really ropey CGI stuff.

That's probably why I give poorer CGI more of a pass than some...because compared to some of the crap I've seen over the years the tram scene looked passable.

Soldato
I was born in 1982 so have sort of lived through the birth of CGI.

Technically it was Westworld but the first real looking CGI thing was in the Abyss.
At the risk of going off at a tangent, for me as an 80's kid - the first CGI moment that really wow'd me and had me wondering how they did it was Flight of The Navigator, the ship just seemed so realistic but I couldn't logically work out how it was filmed and was like nothing i'd seen before.

Back
Top Bottom