The Greatest Olympian Ever?

Caporegime
Now that Phelps has broken the record for the most Olympic medals many are proclaiming him to be the greatest Olympian of all time.

Despite being an incredible athlete, and arguably the greatest swimmer of all time, it's far easier for a world class swimmer or gymnast to rack up a haul of medals than it is for a footballer, high jumper or archer who will only ever have the one medal to compete for.

I'd personally give the accolade to Steve Redgrave for winning 5 gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympic games which is a momentous achievement considering the length of time he managed to stay at the top of his sport and the age at which he won his last gold.

Who would your choice be?

Soldato
Phelps

to maintain that level of performance over several days of competition is outstanding.

He doesnt have time to rest hes putting out performance after performance sometimes in the same day!

Caporegime
I think you could normalize the data a bit by calculating medals as a percentage of events entered maybe?

Wouldn't that make Redgrave 100% for medals, 83% golds?

RDM

RDM

Soldato
When phelps has won medals in 5 consecutive Olympic games then this question can be asked, until then he is just a good swimmer. Steve Redgrave is the utltimate.

I think he possibly derserves a slightly better title than "just a good swimmer"...

Caporegime
Phelps without a doubt, hes just bagged 19 medals in total...how anyone can not say hes the greatest olympian is truly beyond me.

Was gutted that he didnt win a gold in last nights 200m butterfly final...how the **** that Saffa won it at the end is mind boggling...seemed like Le Clos, i think his name is had some power pushing through to the finish. But gutted absolutely gutted for Phelps:(...saying that he managed to bag a gold in the 4 x 200m relay, Lochte demolished the line up then Phelps brought it home...again they should have bagged the 4 x 100m final a few days ago but were beaten pretty badly by the French.

Man of Honour
I think it's just down to the sheer number of swimming events. He's very good, but if he was a track athlete it wouldn't happen.

Redgrave is still the top for me.

Soldato
id say its harder as he has to be the best in numerous events.

in track or rowing etc you tend to focus on just one event, he has to master different disciplines

Associate
Phelps without a doubt, hes just bagged 19 medals in total...how anyone can not say hes the greatest olympian is truly beyond me.

Was gutted that he didnt win a gold in last nights 200m butterfly final...how the **** that Saffa won it at the end is mind boggling...seemed like Le Clos, i think his name is had some power pushing through to the finish. But gutted absolutely gutted for Phelps:(...saying that he managed to bag a gold in the 4 x 200m relay, Lochte demolished the line up then Phelps brought it home...again they should have bagged the 4 x 100m final a few days ago but were beaten pretty badly by the French.

But swimming has so many events, it's stacking the deck a bit when you take part in 8 events.
I think it's far more impressive to have 5 golds in 5 consecutive olympics then 19 medals.

Caporegime
id say its harder as he has to be the best in numerous events.

in track or rowing etc you tend to focus on just one event, he has to master different disciplines

Indeed but i have a feeling people are saying Redgrave because hes british and obviously want people to say hes the greatest olympian ever. Hes up there but nowhere near the top imho.

But your correct in that Phelps has dominated swimming but hes done it with different swimming strokes rather than just dominate in one particular swimming event imho.

Caporegime
But swimming has so many events, it's stacking the deck a bit when you take part in 8 events.
I think it's far more impressive to have 5 golds in 5 consecutive olympics then 19 medals.

Yep your right but winning 8 golds in 8 days at the 2008 olympics??, id love to see Redgrave do that. But taking 5 golds in 5 olympics is an achievement in itself but for me as much as its impressive, i just dont think its comparable to what Phelps has done in the past couple of olympics.

But like i said for me, what im basing it on is not the amount of total medals hes taken but rather how many swimming events hes won gold in. Lets face it doing a butterfly, backstroke and breaststroke is pretty damn tiring for 100m let alone 200m+, which Phelps has done time and time again.

Caporegime
dont forget because of the events phelps enters he often swims a final then an hour later has to swim another!

Yep similar to Missy Franklin who the other night, swam a semi final and won it iirc then came back 20 mins later to bag a gold....thats impressive due to the amount of exertion they must go through.

Associate
When phelps has won medals in 5 consecutive Olympic games then this question can be asked, until then he is just a good swimmer. Steve Redgrave is the utltimate.

Aladár Gerevich won gold at 6 consecutive Olympics in fencing. So I guess he is actually the ultimate :p

The whole "greatest Olympian" thing is a bit silly really as the sports are all so different and have different career lengths. A gymnast is never going to have a career that's as long as a rower.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom