The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Soldato
Welcome to The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

1p4ssz7.jpg

============================================

Following on from this thread ;

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17694486

and the constant exploding, dieing, and component frying of the Hiper 580 Modular, this exclusive club has been formed.

===========================================

Membership criteria:

-To have owned said PSU or any other Hiper PSU and had it fail, explode, or kill components.

==========================================

Current Members List [ 14 ]
-Nickg (1)
-elfy (1)
-pastymuncher (1)
-Justintime (2)
-rafster (2)
-waveydave79 (3)
-Solaris (1)
-Zefan (1)
-jellybeard999 (1)
-Raymond Lin (1)
-dante6491 (1)
-eggcup (1)
-collisster (1)
-sugoi (1)

Hiper PSU Census
-Total PSUs Failed: [ 17 ]
-Total Failed PSUs that took out components: [ 1 ]
-Total PSUs still working(members of The Hiper active club): [ 22 ]

Please make sure you include in your post if the psu killed components when it died or not. If several have died, list them all. Also please say what model of PSU it was, the 580 modular or another Hiper.

==========================================

This is not supposed to be finger up at those who have Hiper psus and have no problems btw, just a bit of fun, and it is genuinely interesing to know how many people have actually had one of these die, explode, or kill some components.

Thank You :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
mrdbristol said:
LOL :D

Now where did you get this idea from ?? :p

Mark
Can't imagine... :p

On a serious note, it would be good to get some actual figures of how many of these things have caused problems, to see if they really are that bad.

So, disgruntled Hiper psu owners and ex-owners please make yourselves known...

Soldato
OP
Edited. :)
If lots of people report other Hipers failing i'll create some separate stats for them.

If no-body posts i'll search the forums and find them myself.

Soldato
OP
mrdbristol said:
Not fair , who is going to start a thread " My PSU is working fine " ???

Mark

( Last post, i promise :D )
Hmm i spose.
Although your thread is for that...

You may as well post in here if no-one else will. :p

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
Just thought I'd post to add a bit of diversity :p

Mine did make a clicking sound at one point when on high load, although it was just the fan I think so it's not really a proepr issue, just a minor annoyance. I'm not even sure if it does it now, haven't heard it for a long time so I guess not :p
Can't really count that as a failure.

I don't understand it, in threads where someone is considering buying a Hiper or has a Hiper loads of people appear to say bad things about them, where are you all?

Unfortunately much as i dislike Hipers i've never actually had one so i can't add myself.

Edit:
Nickg said:
im in! i have my hiper rma number to prove it too!
Wuhey, finally an unhappy Hiper owner. Did it kill components?
Welcome to the Hiper-Explosive Club. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I should probably specify a time after purchase in which the psu must have died to be eligible for membership in the Hiper explosive club, as all psus die eventually and its unreasonable to expect any psu to last forever.
Whats the warranty period on these? 3 years?

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
These haven't been out long enough to justify "Standard lifetime".

My old 460w generic PSU is still going strong and that's 3 years older than the Hiper.
Thats very true actually. Its difficult to find out how long they have been out, but it can only be about 4 years, so its probably reasonable to say any Hiper psu which has failed at this point should not have, and it is reasonable to expect it to have lasted longer.

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
I'm going to try to get an RMA for this, but to be honest I don't even want to use one anymore! Can anyone recommend a replacement about the same price or lower?
The Corsair HX520 Is one of the best psus on the market. Its about £2-5 more than the Hiper but its worth it.
And remember that the Hiper 580 doesn't deliver anywhere near 580w, its actually closer to 500, the corsair on the other hand can probably be relied on to deliver more than its rated 520w, and it'll more than likely have more power where its needed on the 12v rail compared to the Hiper.

Edit: And if the 620w version can do this, you can be sure that the 520w will be more than adequate for the majority of setups.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
bringerofdecay said:
not really on topic, but i'll clear out once i get the answer :) on the subject of hiper PSU's failing:

is this failing mostly lnked to the 580w Type-R? as i have ordered a 530w Type-R and was wondering if i was going to need to save up for a new PC in a year or so :D
The 580s have been most popular and therefore have had the most reported failures, but i wouldn't trust anything they make.
Having said that, failure rates are not particularly high, indeed they are reportedly lower than Seasonic. The problem here is that a number of them have reportedly killed components, which trusted brands like Seasonic never really do.

However, on the scale of things it is only a tiny tiny minority of the 580s that have killed components, so for that reason you could happily run a 580 or 530 for ages and the chance it will kill anything when it dies will be very slim.

But it is a rubbish psu, for example the 580 can barely deliver 500w, and there is still a chance, although very small, that it could kill components when it dies.

You say you've just ordered one, if you can i'd recommend sending it back under distance selling and getting a better psu.
If you can't send it back, you'll have to make the decision of whether to use it and hope you're not one of the unlucky ones (and the statistics are very much on your side), or perhaps put it in a lower spec machine where it doesn't matter so much, or sell it.

Back
Top Bottom