The I bought an E92 M3 thread..

OcUK Staff

Wow so cheap for what is an awesome car, I'd go as far as saying the E92 is less troublesome than E46 but is a thirstier beast. Be a tough choice to be honest if looking at manuals in both E46 and E92, if looking for automatic than DCT is a big improvement over SMG and I like SMG (CSL).

Associate
Are there really E46 M3's (non 'verts) for sub £10k that are worth owning though?

I had a look a while back and at the time the only ones I saw up for less than £10k were not with yours examples... May have looked at a bad time mind :)

OcUK Staff
The thought crossed my mind but I also read that people say the E46 was the last "proper" M3... I am open to ideas!

Go drive them both, the E46 is rawer and feels lighter, because it is, but the interior and infotainment is dated because it is.
E92 will feel more modern, feels heavier, the DCT version is a good chunk faster than the manual and though both engines sound glorious the V8 DCT downshifts are magical.

Drive them both, but do try the DCT if it falls within budget as its a great dual clutch setup.

Permabanned
Wow so cheap for what is an awesome car, I'd go as far as saying the E92 is less troublesome than E46 but is a thirstier beast. Be a tough choice to be honest if looking at manuals in both E46 and E92, if looking for automatic than DCT is a big improvement over SMG and I like SMG (CSL).

I was tempted myself but doing about 20k miles a year now.
Not in a m3 though :D

Soldato
E92 M3 exhaust noise.. oh my

£1750 more to get into an 5-6 year younger, newer generation M3 with a V8 engine and way less "issues" to worry about is the definition of a no brainer.

If someone said I could upgrade my 2009 E92 M3 to a 2015 M4 for only £1750 I'd snap their hand off. Even though I *love* my E92 M3, and would *very* sorely miss the V8 engine over a turbo 6 (makes me sad just to think of it) - I recognise that the rest of the car is an update.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would suggest 130i but it falls short of your required 300+bhp :(

Power aside you can pick one up for around £6k , which leaves plenty of money for supporting mods such as LSD, suspension etc.

Back
Top Bottom