• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Soldato
I have an Intel Arc A770 and I believe @oweneades has one too. Anyone else?

To get things rolling here are some results (copied from this thread):

Running the benchmark in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands now at 4k, medium settings and getting an average of 57 fps. Occasional judder. The judder is removed by turning down the texture streaming from High to Medium. This raises the average fps to 61. I'm using a SSD and not a NVME drive which may account for the streaming issue. I get 110+ fps solid on my 4090 on Badass settings - everything cranked

Here are my settings:

HJRIL76.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn gets over 50 fps at Medium Settings with motion blur turned off.

TxZlC2s.jpg

The Forza Horizon 4 benchmark gives over 60 fps at Medium and High settings at 4k.

awbqhrC.png

Superposition managed about 70fps at 4k.

TiB941u.png

Soldato
OP
How you guys finding it so far?

I mean for the price it feels like stonking good value and the results from what you've posted so far seem good.

I think it's about £100-£150 too expensive as a gaming card: the A770 needs to be about £50 cheaper than its competitor, the RX 6600XT (maybe RX 6650 XT). That said, fine wine will almost certainly apply if Intel commit the resources, especially with DX11 and - particularly - DX9 games. DX9 games currently go through a translation layer which kills performance; make a native DX9 layer and performance there will increase massively. Hell, I used to play Freespace 2 until recently (recently I just watch videos) and that's DirectX 6 or 7! We'll see.

I've only given mine very limited usage - Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, mainly. I have also only used DX12 games and benchmarks.

My initial view, based on a whole 1.5 day's usage, is that Intel have made a fine start and if they stay the course their next cards will compete with Nvidia and AMD at the top level.

I will also point out that Intel have used the same 3/5/7 naming scheme as their CPUs which means that there may be an Arc A9xx in reserve.

Soldato
OP
I've installed the latest beta driver and have noticed a slight degradation in performance in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - a bit of stuttering - but that may have been TTW autoadjusting settings until I set them back.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what has happened: my i7-8700 system will now not POST with REBAR enabled. It's a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming with the F16B BIOS that enables REBAR support.

Soldato
OP
I've had an evening of fun playing Far Cry (the original). 4k, max settings, DX9. The translation layer seems to be working well.

Then I tried to benchmark Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Just got a black screen. The benchmark was running and I could hear the sounds and the framerate was shown but the screen was black. The game menus worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom