*** The iPad Air thread ***

Caporegime
Somewhere for us new air owners to discuss our new toy. What are your early thoughts.

I'm already in love. Can't believe how thin it is!

20131101_110029_zps86562da3.jpg
[/\

Caporegime
OP
I'm debating buying my first ever iPad, I have 28GB of music on iTunes (currently, I have more albums to rip) so am torn between the 32GB and 64GB models. Also a little concerned about the supposed lack of RAM since it's turned 64-bit. What are peoples thoughts?

It depends. If you're happy playing from the cloud and paying the yearly fee for itunes match, then a 32GB could suffice.

But personally, with a music collection that size, I would go for the 64GB.

Caporegime
OP
Is anyone else getting some crashes in the iTunes Store when they switch categories? It's crashed about five times when clicking on the audiobook category.

This seems to be a widely reported problem at the moment.

Try this. Open itunes in portrait mode and then rotate to landscape. If it doesn't crash, try to switch categories along the bottom, particularly films, TV and audiobooks. For some reason, it doesn't like landscape mode. It's fine on portrait mode.

Caporegime
OP
If you look at the Amazon ad which product looks nicer!

The Air's only been out a couple of days, but Apple have already done it.

Any tablet with thick bezels like the Fire already looks clunky and dated now.

I'n not trying to knock the Fire, it's probably a perfectly good tablet, it's just the pettiness of Amazon's marketing that annoys me. It looks even more desperate in that they are trying to sell it based on a weight difference of under 100grams. A difference you can hardly, if at all, feel.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Spoke to Apple today about the iTunes landscape issue. They are apparently not aware of it, but will report it and look into it. Spent most of the call trying to convince me that no product launch the size of iPads or iPhones will ever go 100% smooth all over the world. Suppose there could be some truth in that. Just hope they get it fixed ASAP.

EDIT: I'm also a little disappointed that you can't stream music without downloading it. Sooner that gets sorted the better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
moan moan moan nothings perfect

I think it must have you who I spoke to.

Another question. Nothing's broken, but all the songs I download from my cloud won't play in Djay 2. It says it's either because it's in the cloud or drm protected. It's not in the cloud so it must be drm.

I thought all itunes songs were drm free now. The ones I have purchased on my PC over the weekend and downloaded are playing fine in Djay 2.

Caporegime
OP
Jesus, if Megan Fox had triplets, you'd be the one in the middle on the bottle.

I have none of the problems at all that you are mentioning. I think it's over analysis myself. Fair do, if the structure is wrong such as the power socket then take it back, but I think people are exaggerating the screen issues.

Caporegime
OP
Well after trying out an air in a retailer named after an Indian food, I'm not overly impressed. The screen was even bendier than I feared. Maybe I'm heavy handed, but there was noticeable deformation with anything more than a quick tap. The fact you can bend it enough to touch the LCD is also a bit of a worry.

I'm seriously considering getting a 4 instead, which is a bit depressing. Still, I have found one for £100 cheaper than the air which lessens the blow.

You must be tapping seriously hard! My fingers glide over it with no problems whatsoever and I actually like the resounding thunk it gives when you tap.

Only problem I'm having (and I've had it since launch day) is that lately the App Store keeps popping up randomly advertising that empire four kingdoms game that's always on TV. Getting on my nerves badly.

Caporegime
OP
Apple TV connected to hifi, then stream by AirPlay. Great setup, every time we have people over we just pass the ipad round and people queue up what they like :)

Thanks for your advice Dave, but after a bit of digging around, I came across this http://www.airserver.com/

Seems to be working flawlessly so far :)

How do you queue a song on Spotify? When I press the icon that looks like lines and a little box, it just plays it next regardless of what's in the queue.

Back
Top Bottom