**The iPhone 5 accessory thread**

Xee

Xee

Associate
Nice I am kind of considering going along the same lines. But would that case protect against drops? Or just for scratch protection?

All depends on the type of drop. I used a Pinlo case on my iPhone 4. I dropped it several times and luckily the case took all the impact itself. Although that case design was slightly different. The iPhone 5 version seems tougher. An example of one time I dropped it, I went to catch it and ended up smacking the phone down even faster and it bounced of a sharp edge of furniture. I was sure the iPhone 4 would be damaged (dented or worse). But the case just had a tiny internal fracture crack.
The case does not have a raised lip around the screen like some cases - it's flush or ever so slightly lower then the screen bezel. Can take some more pics if you would like.

Did you buy that from the Pinlo website? Are they any good (the website, not the case)?

Someone on the good old Bay located in the UK. So shipping is very fast. Frosted clear or the semi- transparent black like mine. Just checked they also do white, blue, pink and purple.

Presume the clear/frost and the white would suit the IPhone 5 white.

Last edited:
Soldato
All depends on the type of drop. I used a Pinlo case on my iPhone 4. I dropped it several times and luckily the case took all the impact itself. Although that case design was slightly different. The iPhone 5 version seems tougher. An example of one time I dropped it, I went to catch it and ended up smacking the phone down even faster and it bounced of a sharp edge of furniture. I was sure the iPhone 4 would be damaged (dented or worse). But the case just had a tiny internal fracture crack.
The case does not have a raised lip around the screen like some cases - it's flush or ever so slightly lower then the screen bezel. Can take some more pics if you would like.

Hmm thanks for your response. That's a good point actually about it not having a raised lip. That would probably cause an issue if its dropped. I will have to have a think :)

Associate
Case: Pinlo semi-transparent black 0.35mm case (thinnest iPhone 5 case in the world).
Screen Protector: anti-glare™ film set for iPhone 5 (made by Power Support in Japan - available in your local Apple Store).

Could I trouble you for some links? That setup looks awesome, just what I'm after. Thanks :)

Xee

Xee

Associate
Pinlo case - search the Bay for 'Pinlo Slice 3 iPhone 5'.
Screen Protector - I got mine in the Apple Store last Friday.

Looks like this:

20121007_496e37.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got the knomo case, seems very nice and of a high quality.

What worries me is one the joins inside and rubbing against the anodisation. And two the top that is not protected. It does not go as far down as I was expecting.

Soldato
:eek: £35 what a absolute rip!

Really, have you handled one? It's very high quality, nicest phone case I've ever owned. Perfect fit, and a great premium feel which adds hardly any bulk or weight. Unlike a lot of other slim cases, it feels like it would actually do a good job of protecting from drops too, rather than just shattering. I'm very happy with it and it will remain as my iP5 case for the foreseeable future.

Fair enough, £35 is comparatively high when people are buying cheap £5 cases off of eBay, but I've tried those and there's no comparison IMO. When you've paid £500 for the phone, £35 to protect it while keeping a premium feel is nothing.

Not trying to sound defensive of my purchase (well, maybe a little :p) but unless you've actually had one you can't really comment on the price. Anyway, it's far from the most expensive case I've seen.

Last edited:

rpg

rpg

Associate
Well I bought the Pinlo case for my iPhone 5 off that eBay seller, as I had one on my iPhone 4 and liked it. However the iPhone 5 case is so bad, I'm actually beginning to think it's counterfeit.

The material has a 'sand-like' feel, it doesn't fit like the iPhone 4 case does (half way up the right hand side the case protrudes out from the phone), it's not transparent like the other case, and there's no branding. Here it is pictured beside my iPhone 4.

PinloCases2.jpg

I've already taken it off and I'm going to return it for a refund.

Soldato
Not trying to sound defensive of my purchase (well, maybe a little :p) but unless you've actually had one you can't really comment on the price. Anyway, it's far from the most expensive case I've seen.

Why can't I comment on it? I am right now. It's a rip off for a bit of plastic with leather at the back. If it was a nicer case I wouldn't be saying £35 is a rip off but for that case yes it is.

Associate
Why can't I comment on it? I am right now. It's a rip off for a bit of plastic with leather at the back. If it was a nicer case I wouldn't be saying £35 is a rip off but for that case yes it is.

I don't think you really understand the term "Rip off", but if you mean that it's expensive for what it is, then I would agree with you!

However you could say the same for cases from Incipio, Switcheasy etc which are all basically bits of moulded rubbery stuff.

Caporegime
Really, have you handled one? It's very high quality, nicest phone case I've ever owned. Perfect fit, and a great premium feel which adds hardly any bulk or weight. Unlike a lot of other slim cases, it feels like it would actually do a good job of protecting from drops too, rather than just shattering. I'm very happy with it and it will remain as my iP5 case for the foreseeable future.

Fair enough, £35 is comparatively high when people are buying cheap £5 cases off of eBay, but I've tried those and there's no comparison IMO. When you've paid £500 for the phone, £35 to protect it while keeping a premium feel is nothing.

Just to say Ive used Knomo stuff for years (love my leather sleeve!) and its top quality and worth the premium, £35 for one of their cases isnt that bad, just look at the pricing of some of their other stuff!

I think its a fallacy to just buy a cheap case off eBay to protect a £600 phone. I dont get the logic of people that do this, why skimp? Unfortunately buy cheap, buy twice doesnt come into it if it damages the phone after the first try :p. Though I have to add cleaning your case regularly IMHO helps a lot!

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom