The Irishman (Netflix 2018)

Soldato
So the film was originally $105m budget and too expensive for the main studios. Now it's up at $200m making it the largest budget for an 'adult drama' ever. This is going to have to be spectacularly good and do spectacularly well to warrant that outlay by Netflix. Looks decent, though.

Soldato
Looks like it has the potential to be up there in the rarefied air of The Godfather, Goodfellas and The Departed. I wonder how many Oscars this one going to win?

Soldato
Is this a bit like all the bands of the 90s getting back together 20 years later. Have these mob films been done to death or can they just go on and on making them. As someone who's watched most Irish and Italian mob movies I think it will be hard to capture the spirit of the 80s and 90s ones. Let's see.

Soldato
A bit of a WTF moment when I saw Pesci and how old he's got.

The de-aging at the end of the trailer for De Niro is very uncanny valley, not a fan, something about the eyes isn't right.

Caporegime
want it to be good but most of them are past it and havent done great performances since most of the big films we remember them for. i hope im wrong. the trailer doesnt grab me though.

Soldato
- Old, arguably "past it" actors? Check
- Dubious CGI? Check.
- Massively over-budget? Check.
- Netflix release? Check.

I'd like to see this be brilliant, but safe to say I'm wary...

Back
Top Bottom