Klopp Out Arne In

Don
Yes but if you looked at the PSV manager then you will see he is has good credentials too. Slot got beat by ETH too.

It just doesn't seem a Liverpool appointment imo. They should be looking for one of the best or best up and coming manager.

Slot is the kind of manager Man Utd would appoint.
Out of interest Adam, what are you basing this on. I won't pretend to know anything about this guy, in fact had you asked me about him a week ago I wouldn't have even known who he was however simply comparing managers based on League position seems a bit silly if you ask me. Feyenoord are the 3rd biggest side in the Netherlands, a fair way behind PSV and miles behind Ajax - naturally they're not likely to finish above either of these sides. A quick google tells me that other than the title Slot won for them, they've only won 1 other title in 25+ years. It's fair to say that winning the title was a big achievement for Feyenoord. He also very nearly won the title with AZ which would have been a far bigger achievement too.

Where I completely disagree with you regarding this being a Utd appointment, assuming what's reported is true, isn't so much about how well he's done at x or y in the past but his style of play. According to reports one of the big factors behind us going for him is that there are lots of similarities in the way he plays to the way we play now. That couldn't be less Utd. Utd have consistently appointed managers who play a completely different way resulting in the next manager ripping things up and starting again and meaning the £200m spent in the previous summer has mostly been wasted.

Anyway on the (likely) appointment, there was pretty much nobody who we could have appointed that would excite the fans or be a sure thing. Even Alonso would have been a gamble given how little experience he has. Just like with transfers, a Spanish or Portuguese manager might have felt a sexier appointment than a bald Dutch bloke (1000s of bald dutch men are currently cursing ETH) but you either had managers past their best or up and coming ones. We just need to trust that our eggheads have found the right egghead for us.

Caporegime
Out of interest Adam, what are you basing this on. I won't pretend to know anything about this guy, in fact had you asked me about him a week ago I wouldn't have even known who he was however simply comparing managers based on League position seems a bit silly if you ask me. Feyenoord are the 3rd biggest side in the Netherlands, a fair way behind PSV and miles behind Ajax - naturally they're not likely to finish above either of these sides. A quick google tells me that other than the title Slot won for them, they've only won 1 other title in 25+ years. It's fair to say that winning the title was a big achievement for Feyenoord. He also very nearly won the title with AZ which would have been a far bigger achievement too.

Where I completely disagree with you regarding this being a Utd appointment, assuming what's reported is true, isn't so much about how well he's done at x or y in the past but his style of play. According to reports one of the big factors behind us going for him is that there are lots of similarities in the way he plays to the way we play now. That couldn't be less Utd. Utd have consistently appointed managers who play a completely different way resulting in the next manager ripping things up and starting again and meaning the £200m spent in the previous summer has mostly been wasted.

Anyway on the (likely) appointment, there was pretty much nobody who we could have appointed that would excite the fans or be a sure thing. Even Alonso would have been a gamble given how little experience he has. Just like with transfers, a Spanish or Portuguese manager might have felt a sexier appointment than a bald Dutch bloke (1000s of bald dutch men are currently cursing ETH) but you either had managers past their best or up and coming ones. We just need to trust that our eggheads have found the right egghead for us.

Amazing how everyone was saying the Dutch league is a pub league when ETH came over. Now it's an achievement. The only reason I mention it is because I always thought Liverpool could do better.

How did he nearly win a title in 19/20? They were second in the league on goal difference with a little over half the season played against a Ajax team that lost half its squad that summer.

This reeks of Fergie leaving in 2013 and having nothing of note to replace him.

I wouldn't put much faith in your egg heads either. Liverpool was good because of Klopp not because of them. It was all on him just like Fergie and Guardiola.

Saying all that I do think Liverpool are stuck in hard place a bit like when Fergie left. All the real decent managers are all taken and up and coming ones have their own big project.

I am surprised Liverpool didn't have a look at Tuchel though. I know he is a bit hit and miss but he would have been great to steady the ship until Alonso became available.

Also when I mentioned it was a "Utd appointment" what I was referring to is it seemed all a bit panic by being Liverpool's third choice not something you would associate with a well run team.

Last edited:
Don
Amazing how everyone was saying the Dutch league is a pub league when ETH came over. Now it's an achievement. The only reason I mention it is because I always thought Liverpool could do better.

How did he nearly win a title in 19/20? They were second in the league on goal difference with a little over half the season played against a Ajax team that lost half its squad that summer.

This reeks of Fergie leaving in 2013 and having nothing of note to replace him.

I wouldn't put much faith in your egg heads either. Liverpool was good because of Klopp not because of them. It was all on him just like Fergie and Guardiola.
Your first point makes no sense. The Dutch League being a (far) inferior to say the PL doesn't change the achievement of winning that League with a smaller side. The Scottish League is rubbish but if somebody were to lead Kilmarnock to the title then that would be a huge achievement. That doesn't make the Scottish League any better though.

And you've asked a question and provided the answer. How did he nearly win the League in 19/20? Well as you say, when the League was called off they were level on points with Ajax with 9 games to go (not half the season) - that's nearly winning the League Adam. BTW, Ajax (comfortably the biggest side in NL) lost 3 players of note that season not half their squad - they also replaced those players. For AZ to be challenging them is the equivalent of West Ham challenging for the title here.

Caporegime
Your first point makes no sense. The Dutch League being a (far) inferior to say the PL doesn't change the achievement of winning that League with a smaller side. The Scottish League is rubbish but if somebody were to lead Kilmarnock to the title then that would be a huge achievement. That doesn't make the Scottish League any better though.

And you've asked a question and provided the answer. How did he nearly win the League in 19/20? Well as you say, when the League was called off they were level on points with Ajax with 9 games to go (not half the season) - that's nearly winning the League Adam. BTW, Ajax (comfortably the biggest side in NL) lost 3 players of note that season not half their squad - they also replaced those players. For AZ to be challenging them is the equivalent of West Ham challenging for the title here.

Still over a quarter of the season left. That is not "nearly" winning the league. You are clutching at straws. Also especially during that time plenty of players would be in isolation which is why the league was null and void.

Don
Still over a quarter of the season left. That is not "nearly" winning the league. You are clutching at straws. Also especially during that time plenty of players would be in isolation which is why the league was null and void.
What nearly is, is subjective - I'd say that a side being level on points with 9 games to go gave then a very realistic chance of being champions. Which was ultimately the point being made - whether AZ would have went on to win the title is neither here nor there, the fact that they were in the mix given the size of the club vs the clubs they were up against suggests he was doing something right. Your claim that only half the season was played and Ajax lost half their squad was made up nonsense. And I haven't got a clue what you're saying in that last sentence.

edit: and I've just seen your edit from a previous post. Where have you read that Slot was our 3rd choice and who were the first 2?

Caporegime
Fait play to them for trying to recruiting someone different, rather than do what 95% of the league do and keep recycling the same old ****. He might be rubbish, he might just be recruited because his style of wanting to play suits the squad they have, rather than do what others keep doing and recuit a name rather than a system. Pointless judging him until he's even set foot on the ground. Sometimes it's just about timing and squad match up with system, look at Emery.

Caporegime
What nearly is, is subjective - I'd say that a side being level on points with 9 games to go gave then a very realistic chance of being champions. Which was ultimately the point being made - whether AZ would have went on to win the title is neither here nor there, the fact that they were in the mix given the size of the club vs the clubs they were up against suggests he was doing something right. Your claim that only half the season was played and Ajax lost half their squad was made up nonsense. And I haven't got a clue what you're saying in that last sentence.

edit: and I've just seen your edit from a previous post. Where have you read that Slot was our 3rd choice and who were the first 2?

Alonso and Amorim.

Don
Alonso and Amorim.
And where did you read this? I don't think, from Liverpool's side, there was anything briefed from the club on who there first choice was. I think there was an assumption (very possibly a correct one) that Alonso was although, and I said this prior to the news that Alonso was staying at Leverkusen, I had a nagging feeling that our statto's may not have gone for him due to his inexperience.

Amorim was evidently made up horse**** from a couple of Portuguse journalists however.

Man of Honour
Looks like the deal is now done.

Can't say I know a great deal about him, but it will certainly be an interesting appointment. I don't think he's come across that well in the recent media clips I've seen, but I am having a violent reaction to bald Dutchmen lately.

Man of Honour
Looks like the deal is now done.

Can't say I know a great deal about him, but it will certainly be an interesting appointment. I don't think he's come across that well in the recent media clips I've seen, but I am having a violent reaction to bald Dutchmen lately.
Yup, I would describe myself as curious, rather than hyped. When Klopp was announced I was hyped but Slot is more a curiosity thing. From everything that I have read , he is very similar to Klopp but with less of a focus on the hectic 100mph play, most of the things I have read on him say that he is more like a Pep/Klopp Hybrid, if thats true then it could be a very interesting appointment but as with most things, time will tell, but I'm certainly willing to give him a chance and am not going to simply dismiss him due to Dutchness, previous achievements or Baldness :)

Man of Honour
I'm really not convinced Slot is up to this sort of job. He was being linked with the Palace job 6 months ago and back then I thought he might be worth a gamble - for Palace, not for Liverpool.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, I remember thinking that a defender from Finland joining us from the mighty Dutch club of Willem wouldnt be up to the job and boy was I wrong about that one :)

Back
Top Bottom