The MacBooks are out!

Associate
RobH said:
They are for MacBooks too (both use the same type of RAM), it will cost you about £120 to get 2GB of RAM in a MacBook, that's £180 cheaper than if you asked Apple to do it for you. Plus you can also sell the memory you got with the MAcbook and get something back.

awesome :) assume it's easy to install? and found under the keyboard like in previous iBooks?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hopefully when Apple revise the design for the MBP (hopefully in their release WWDC '06) they will make it easy to upgrade a la' the Macbook :)

Associate
I ordered my macbook on moday. I got an email saying it was shipped on Tuesday morning, and when I look at the "order status" page i can't find any information or link to the TNT tracker that has been mentioned here. Am I right in thinking they will tell me this later?

Associate
My Macbook arrived today. I played with it for about 15 minutes and it crashed twice. The second time I turned it off and now it won't turn on again. The sleep light turns on, the cd-drive or hard drive chugs but I don't get anything on the screen or any sounds.

have to work out how to get it back to apple and back to my house (seeing as no one is in the house all day every day). I could be described as disappointed.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What was it doing when it crashed?

Also, did it exhibit a Kernel panic or did it just power down?

Associate
EVH said:
What was it doing when it crashed?

Also, did it exhibit a Kernel panic or did it just power down?

I was changing the settings like wallpaper etc.

A message came up saying "your computer needs to restart. press and hold power for a few seconds".

Now just the continuous CD drive/HDD chugging.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah thats a Kernel Panic alright :(

Try resetting the PRAM.. .

At power on hold Command-Option-P-R keys and wait until you hear the post "bong" three times.

Associate
cheers, but I've already tried all that. I think it's just pretty much DOA.

Edit: Also, the apple logo on the top/back doesn't light up anymore. that's pretty much the reason I bought it anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Demand a new replacement.. refuse a repair or refurb.

I'd be tempted to just send it back on the grounds you don't want it and re-order though :)

Associate
one of my main concerns is dead pixels though and the screen on this one was perfect. So i wouldn't really mind a repair.

I think if I return it on the grounds that I don't want it anymore that I have to pay for it to be shipped back and I really don't see why I should - especially as I would really still like one.

Soldato
TCEuk said:
I ordered my macbook on moday. I got an email saying it was shipped on Tuesday morning, and when I look at the "order status" page i can't find any information or link to the TNT tracker that has been mentioned here. Am I right in thinking they will tell me this later?

It depends on if you ordered a custom model or the stock model. I ordered the stock 2GHz white model on Monday and I had a UPS tracking number by Tuesday evening. They gave me an estimated delivery date of Friday 28th, which is pretty good. Mine came from the Netherlands, it is doing an "import scan" at BARKING, GB at the moment.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

alucks said:
one of my main concerns is dead pixels though and the screen on this one was perfect. So i wouldn't really mind a repair.

I think if I return it on the grounds that I don't want it anymore that I have to pay for it to be shipped back and I really don't see why I should - especially as I would really still like one.
I don't hear of many Macs with dead pixels so maybe a repair would be good, personally I'd demand a new one.

Associate
RobH said:
It depends on if you ordered a custom model or the stock model. I ordered the stock 2GHz white model on Monday and I had a UPS tracking number by Tuesday evening. They gave me an estimated delivery date of Friday 28th, which is pretty good. Mine came from the Netherlands, it is doing an "import scan" at BARKING, GB at the moment.

I ordered exactly the same but with Apple Care which is separate anyway. The person on the phone said it would be coming from Denmark, and the order status is "in transit" but no tracking number. It's not a big deal, i'd just like to know when it will come so that i don't have to drive to the depot if i'm out when it arrives.

Associate
EVH said:
I don't hear of many Macs with dead pixels so maybe a repair would be good, personally I'd demand a new one.

I phoned them this morning. I got through straight away and while the phone call took 20 minutes overall I thought the service was very good.

The guy said i could have a repair or a replacement so I said replacement as he mentioned it would be faster. I'm gonna hope I don't get any dead pixels and all will be well.

however, I'm not really sure what's going on now. Apparently TNT are going to call me within the next 38 hours to arrange picking up of my current macbook. however, today I received an email exactly the same as an order confirmation to say that a new macbook should be shipped on 1.08.06 and delivered on 10.08.06.

anyone know what the process is in this situation, please? I'm just wondering whether a new macbook will be sent before they receive my old one or whether they have to receive and inspect it first.

edit: also, my first impressions of the macbook: looks absolutely gorgeous, quite heavy, excellent design, camera is ace, fast boot, adequate speakers, nice screen, rather warm and, err, kinda smelly.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Pretty sure it's a simple exchange.

The TNT guy will turn up with the new MacBook and you give him your old one/send it back yourself later. This was it improves turn around, and you get a new MacBook straight away :D

Someone can confirm, but this is how I remember it being..

Soldato
I got mine this morning, less than 4 days to deliver is great. Just trying to get used to using it as I've note used a mac for any length of time before.

Associate
RobH said:
I got mine this morning, less than 4 days to deliver is great. Just trying to get used to using it as I've note used a mac for any length of time before.

Heh lucky you, mine's due to arrive in a week.. and i ordered on Monday. It might be because i ordered through the higher education store.

Soldato
TCEuk said:
Heh lucky you, mine's due to arrive in a week.. and i ordered on Monday. It might be because i ordered through the higher education store.

I ordered mine through the HE store on Monday too. I established a VPN connection to my Uni's network and ordered it through the HE store.

Back
Top Bottom