The MacBooks are out!

Soldato
CocoPops said:
No, not really.

The CPUs are the same speed, or slightly slower in the macbook, but not really massive.

The main diff is GPU.

The cheapest MacBook pro has the same processor as the normal Macbooks and several benchmarks have shown that the MacBook has a slight performance gain for some reason. The reason that both models performance is so similar is the reason people are finding it hard to choose which one they want. Obviously gamers will want the Pro for the dedicated video memory but normal users are finding that the MacBook has everything they need.

Soldato
GoldenGlory said:
For me, as I spend a lot of time at the computer I need a 15" screen.
Bigger is better when it comes to screen size.

The price hike for this however is worrying :(

It's a laptop, therefore smaller is better. If you want a larger screen then use an external TFT :)

Associate
The MacBook Pro's will be upgraded to the new Core 2 Duo processors very soon, its a simple drop in replacement for Apple as they share the same socket and pin layout; this will give people a reason to go for the Pro line again.

Associate
Just got my macbook (white, 2Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HD) and I love it! Just calibrating the battery now. This is my first time running OSX, and I must say it is pretty impressive. I know the Mac people have always insisted it works out of the box, but I didn't quite realise how much it could do without any extra installation/setup. Worth every penny!

Soldato
Acathla said:
Just got my macbook (white, 2Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HD) and I love it! Just calibrating the battery now. This is my first time running OSX, and I must say it is pretty impressive. I know the Mac people have always insisted it works out of the box, but I didn't quite realise how much it could do without any extra installation/setup. Worth every penny!

It's great isn't it. The first thing I did though was reinstall the OS with the CD's provided. You can save several gigabytes by unchecking the language files and also the office/iwork trials, printer drivers and anything else you might not need. It's a painless process and once completed the system will reboot and it will start up exactly the same as when you first opened the box, ready to configure. Reinstalling OSX is a lot easier than reinstalling XP.

Permabanned
Can someone explain the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo for me?

Is core duo 2 processor on one core (dual core)?
Is core 2 duo 2 processors each with 2 cores (4 cores total)?

Associate
Core 2 Duo is just the successor to Core Duo - it's effectively Core Duo 2 but Intel thought it sounded cooler the other way :p

Both as dual core (as in two processors on one chip).

Soldato
GoldenGlory said:
Can someone explain the Core Duo and Core 2 Duo for me?

Is core duo 2 processor on one core (dual core)?
Is core 2 duo 2 processors each with 2 cores (4 cores total)?

It's just 'version 2' of the core duo. Faster and apparantly less power hungry, but no more cores hiding in there unfortunately :)

Soldato
chucky said:
I was wondering what the battery life on the macbook is like?

I personally don't own one but until someone replies with a personal real times, I thought I'd let you know what I've picked up since looking into a MacBook.

Apple quote a 6 hour battery life which is probably achieveable but you'd be doing next to nothing to get it. Your more likely to get about 5 hours with say just a dim screen and doing some light work, perhaps word processing. About 4 hours or so with wifi on and surfing the internet. 3-4 hours with wifi and screen brightness turned to about half. Not really sure after that regards full brightness and other things, maybe say 3 hours?

Most rumours say that running BootCamp reduces battery by 1 hour and the processor only runs at 1Ghz? :confused: Whether this is true or not is down to the MacBook owners on here to tell :)

BeatMaster :D

Associate
Oddly enough BeatMaster's estimates are pretty close to my usage :D

At least 4 hours just general web surfing with Airport on and fully bright screen, and maybe 3 hours DVD playback time with a fully bright screen (although i've decided I like it dimmer for watching DVDs so that could slightly improve).

Either way it certainly beats PC notebooks with their 2.5/3 hour "up to" time :p

Soldato
Fillado said:
Oddly enough BeatMaster's estimates are pretty close to my usage :D

At least 4 hours just general web surfing with Airport on and fully bright screen, and maybe 3 hours DVD playback time with a fully bright screen (although i've decided I like it dimmer for watching DVDs so that could slightly improve).

Either way it certainly beats PC notebooks with their 2.5/3 hour "up to" time :p

:cool: Now all I need is to get a MacBook :(

BeatMaster :D

Back
Top Bottom