US: The Mandalorian

Caporegime
This season is... Dreadful! Disney needs to bugger off, they can't make anything good any more!

I haven’t watched the YT clip, but sometimes when every series is linked in some way it puts up barriers to writers in what they can and cannot do, and that’s without having to remain within the SW canon as well. A series like Andor, with unheard of characters (Prior to Rogue One anyway) and the period in which it is set, one that there hasn’t been a huge amount written about or shown previously, and no Space magic, no space wizards and no laser swords, shows that you can write a quality series if there are fewer limitations. I fear the Mandalorian is now into the realms of linkup series rather than its own show and they’re either running out of ideas, or they’re limited by the overall plan.

Soldato
a lot of this show as been Mando doing weekly quests with no real direction.
Yup. I said in the first season, it's very basic. It makes me think of an MMORPG - "You need the crystal of xyz, go and see {some guy}"

Some guy - "Oh, you want the crystal? Hmm, I have some flib flobs giving me a problem in the outer fields. Deal with them and you can have the crystal" etc etc
(Sorry for not being able to make up better names)

I still watch as it is very well presented and just because it's basic, doesn't mean I can't enjoy it a little, but honestly if it wasn't SW I would probably have moved on...

Reactions: LiE
Caporegime
This season has been very hit and miss.

I liked the previous episode with the pirate attack on Navaro .

I lost interest in the latest one and started looking at my phone half way through. Seemed silly and made little sense. Lizzo cannot act which ruined all those scenes, and Bryce Dallas Howard is clearly a poor choice of director for this.

It's certainly going downhill.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yup. I said in the first season, it's very basic. It makes me think of an MMORPG - "You need the crystal of xyz, go and see {some guy}"

Some guy - "Oh, you want the crystal? Hmm, I have some flib flobs giving me a problem in the outer fields. Deal with them and you can have the crystal" etc etc
(Sorry for not being able to make up better names)

I still watch as it is very well presented and just because it's basic, doesn't mean I can't enjoy it a little, but honestly if it wasn't SW I would probably have moved on...

I agree that it’s the same as in the first season to a degree, but there is a nuanced difference I think.

In the first season, it was very much “I’m a Mando just doing my thing” deliberately against the grain of the wider forces. So that in itself had its own fresh appeal. I first that way about the first series of The Witcher as well.

Now, there doesn’t really seem to be any wider forces at play in any meaningful sense. So it feels far more redundant. Granted, it could never feel anywhere near as fresh. But the deliberate anti-‘typical protagonist’ vibe that gave the series its lightning in a bottle feeling is long gone.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm quite enjoying Season 3 and the expansion of the Mandalorians as a culture - I also feel that the seeds of the First Order are being sown in the background.

The reference to a large number of Tie Fighters...Moff Gideon now believed to have been extracted by a Mandalorian or other faction - I wonder if the new Mandalorian gathering will encounter them?

The Convert episode with the ex-Imperial cloning doctor Penn got me thinking about the beginnings of how Palpatine may have been resurrected using the research, knowledge and equipment hinted at here. Where did that equipment go? Is Kane really working for the ex-Empire / First Order and not been fully re-conditioned? An insider / spy?

I really liked the droid bar scene - was definitely something unexpected and funny

Quite a few references also to Episode II and Episode III in this series

Soldato
They showed today's episode early during the 2023 Celebration, was very good watching it on a large screen at music concert voulme levels they'd included a surround setup sounded superb you could feel the bass hits.

The next episode is directed by the same person so expect it to be very good aswell.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I liked it.
The sense of scale they are getting is awesome, feels very unique. I assume its all that digital Stage nonsense.... still mostly awesome :p
cool vibro blades

aww :( that was the way

Last edited:
Associate
Good episode, felt they held the budget and story back until right to the end of the season and din feels a bit sidelined but maybe that will change in the final
I liked it.
The sense of scale they are getting is awesome, feels very unique. I assume its all that digital Stage nonsense.... still mostly awesome :p
cool vibro blades
Yes. Yes.

:p

Back
Top Bottom