The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Would people recommend oil, foam or soap and from where? I've used oil gel and foam but not the soap. The oil was ok but it was a low quality one. Foam... meh.

Gel has been the best as of yet.

Just curious. :) Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. :p

Soldato
Would people recommend oil, foam or soap and from where? I've used oil gel and foam but not the soap. The oil was ok but it was a low quality one. Foam... meh.

Gel has been the best as of yet.

Just curious. :) Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread. :p

Cream/soap with a good brush, every time for me

Caporegime
@ Substance: agreed. Gel is often frowned upon as it doesn't provide the most efficient barrier between skin and blade. Oils are not something I use as I much prefer a good pre-shave cream instead. A good cream or soap will probably deliver the best and easiest shave; which of these systems you prefer will be subjective. I'm very much a cream man but horses for courses, and all that :)

I've used the following places and they're all fairly reasonable.

www.mankind.co.uk
www.shaving-shack.com
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Double_Edge_Safety_Razors.html

Associate
kin hell are you lot big girls blouses. Make do with a 10 pack of bics at 59p and forget the foam.

£50 odd for a razor, some people are advertisers dreams.

Associate
I bought a merkur, soap, brush and a load of derby and india blades nearly a year ago. And not only is my shave now closer (after using a Gilette Fusion or something), but i enjoy taking the time to shave properly. Often though, i let my stubble grow a bit, but it's less irritating and looks tidier than with my previous razor. Wouldn't go back now, DE shaving = win :)

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;15089328 said:
So you shave with a 6 pence razor without any foam, gel, cream or anything else? That's an interesting approach.

lol, when you put it like that i'm happy to be a big girl's blouse rather than a small man's ego ;) :p

Soldato
Awesome, I think you lot have found my my bloke's Christmas present!

He too is frustrated by painful draggy shaves with expensive razor heads that blunt too fast... Hrm :)

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;15089328 said:
So you shave with a 6 pence razor without any foam, gel, cream or anything else? That's an interesting approach.

I was joking but £50 for a razor is too much. I use Tesco's disposable skin sensitive razors and their own brand gel. Probably comes to £3.00 and lasts about a month.

Soldato
I was joking but £50 for a razor is too much. I use Tesco's disposable skin sensitive razors and their own brand gel. Probably comes to £3.00 and lasts about a month.

100 blades last a year or more, even if you shave daily. £10 + £5 for shaving gel (it lasts ages), £1.25 a month.

That's a saving of £21 a year, which is what my razer cost me and I get a much nicer shave ;)

Caporegime
If people took the time to work out the life time cost of shaving, Gillette would not be in business. A 50 quid razor that you'll use for many, many years quickly becomes an insignificance.

Unfortunately, a lot of people either aren't interested in doing the sums, can't be bothered or it doesn't occur to them to do so. Hence you have a lot of males who consider a tenner for a crap razor with GTi stripes on it and 3 even crappier blades to be good value. Because they've "saved" 40 quid by not buying the better DE razor :(

Soldato
Awesome, I think you lot have found my my bloke's Christmas present!

He too is frustrated by painful draggy shaves with expensive razor heads that blunt too fast... Hrm :)

I would definitely ask him about it first, A lot of guys can't stand the idea of safety razor shaving

Soldato
tbh I would use http://www.shaving-shack.com/

You get a free gift with any order over £10 and you collect shaving points with everything you buy, I got loads of free blades using the points I got from buying my razor,brush and cream

do this, ive not bought a single blade since i got my razor last year, order everything from there and just keep getting free blades. shaving 2-3 times a week for over a year and i still have about 70 blades in my drawer. i changed the blade every 2 shaves just because i have so many, they will last 3 or 4 tho.

my razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom