The Manwich (WC, ITX scratch build)

Associate
Welcome to the Manwich Project.

This is the result of my long-time desire to have a truly unique case that caters to some specific requirements:
  • A small desk footprint
  • Enough radiator space to cool silently
  • Show off the flashy components and tubes :)
I was initially inspired by the Silverstone Mini Fortress. The Evolv Shift is actually a really good fit for these requirements too but I began this foolish enterprise long before that was released and radiator space is somewhat limited.

Here's roughly what it will look like:

Add here is the reason for the name. A massive radiator sandwich in the back. That is 2x360mm EK XE (58mm thick) radiators:

My main problem with this build is that I have neither the tools or skill to do metalworking so I've designed the case to be easily assembled from flat pieces. The result is somewhat boxy but I'll jazz it up a bit. Internally everything will be black/chrome (including chrome hard-tube) with a bit of colour to set it off. The front will be tempered glass.

And don't expect any amazing photos from me, potato's only! I'll try and get some glamour shots done when it's finished though.

Specs (all older components, in fact the age is a giveaway of how long this has taken me :) )
Delidded 6700k
EVGA Stinger Z170 mITX motherboard
16Gb Dominator Platinum 2400
Zotac Arctic Storm Mini 1080ti
512Tb Hynix SSD

2x 360mm EK XE radiators
9x EK Varder F2-120 1450rpm fans + 1 case fan
EK pump w/ old style X-TOP and Chrome cover
EK Supermacy EVO full Nickel
EK HDC fittings (Nickel)
Phobya Balancer Nickel plated resevoir
Chrome plated copper tube

Enjoy!

Associate
OP
I have the side and mid-panels back from the laser-cutter:

I was debating for a long time how to finish the side panels. I considered leaving it brushed or painting it yellow, but in the end I went a bit mad and chose Pantone Colour of the Year - Ultraviolet!

Votes for Women!

And here it is assembled:

The back is was only temporary since I had some perspec handy but I might keep it so an observer might savour the view of the Manwich.

it's held together using these little bad-boys:

Parvuum Mod Cubes

Soldato
I hadn't seen that one before. You're riight, they look similar and are about the same size (this will be about 25% taller) but the componenet layout is different.

looks good! guessing GPU will be mounted Parallel to the motherboard ?

EK parts from previous build or ready to order?

was looking at Ghost S1 case to try and dual AIO cool cpu/gpu but this looks to be interesting. If youever get around to doing it again, if you go for thicker Sheets for the two sides, you can mill lines one them so the tray and window panels could slide into them- though you'd still need the cube to attach bottom and top covers .

Associate
OP
looks good! guessing GPU will be mounted Parallel to the motherboard ?

EK parts from previous build or ready to order?

was looking at Ghost S1 case to try and dual AIO cool cpu/gpu but this looks to be interesting. If youever get around to doing it again, if you go for thicker Sheets for the two sides, you can mill lines one them so the tray and window panels could slide into them- though you'd still need the cube to attach bottom and top covers .
Yes, the GPU goes parallel. I had all of the EK parts bar a couple of fittings already, I had the loop running in a really awful prototype already.

That's a good idea about the tray sliding in, though then I'd have to get it CNC'd rather than lasered which I think would work out more expensive. It's academic anyway, I don't think I'll be doing it again. In fact I probably should have given up and got an ordinary case ages ago but I'm too stubborn!

Associate
OP
Looks great so far. Nice design and awesome colour.

Am i missing something in the fact there doesn't appear to be enough fan/rad mounting screw holes ?
Thanks! Yes you are correct. I had trouble scaling the grill design with both the fans and screw holes without merging them. In the end I got fed up and took the shortcut of just removing some of the external screw holes. Somebody wiith better CAD skills (this project is the first time I've used CAD) could have made it work I'm sure.

The fans are mounted to the radiators using short screws and then the rads are mounted to the case using fan screws in the external holes if that makes sense.

Associate
OP
I decided to break up the purple a bit with some white accents on the side panels

Plus it covered up where I chipped the paint around the screws.

And to match I've now got white Varders

nice.

And here is the kit that's going in, except the cue-tips.

tiny 1080ti, massive rads

I didn't much like the EVGA branding on the IO cover thing so attacked with sandpaper:

not 100% sure on that one but fortunately I have a spare if I change my mind

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Where did you get your laser cutting done and how much was it, if I may ask? My go-to guys have closed shop unfortunately so I'm on the hunt for somebody new.
I couldn't find many options for people on the internet who could laser cut aluminium and worked with the public (not just other businesses). I used Essex Laser and it was about £200. Not cheap but from what I gather not too unreasonable.

Associate
OP
I've finished sleeving the cables which was an absolutely horrid task. I had to made some extension since the CPU 8-pin and 24-pin power cables were too short but I hadn't counted on the male pins having been designed by an evil sadist. This is the second time I've made cables and I won't do it again, it takes a huge amount of time and frustration and I'm not that pleased with the result. I'll let the pros do it for me next time!

Test mounting the radiators in the back. Fitting all the cabling between the mid-panel and the radiators is a bit tricky but it works. Just.

At a later date I'll make some sort of gasket to sit between the radiators for the full tunnel effect.

My original plan was to do the routing between components mostly with 90 degree bends (forming a U between GPU and CPU for instance) but despite checking with the vendor of chrome tube before ordering trying to put a proper bend in it resulted in this:

Soft copper my bum!

Fortunately since I had some extra 90 degree rotaries anyway I realised I could just drop the bends and use mostly straight pipe without needing too many more fittings. OcUK's free postage for forums members was fantastic here as I later needed some extensions and the spearate orders would have cost a fortune otherwise.

I needed a few slight bends which works but doesn't look as nice as it should. I'll fix that later when I can get some proper soft copper.

And this should give and idea of the loop:

I've still got a couple of other problems:
- My monitor only accepts DVI-D and I was planning on using an HDMI to DVI-D cable. I tested the cable using my old AMD card and it worked but it seems not to work with the 1080ti. This means I have to squeeze in a DVI-D cable which is jsut about possible with some hacking of the cable. It won't go nicely into the cable hole now either which is pretty annoying.
- The cable hole for the SSD appears to be in the wrong place. Not sure how I managed that since it's obviously too high. Not sure what to do about that but I'll sort something.

Associate
OP
You might be better off probably getting Display port to DVI cable rather than doing HDMI to DVI
As far as I can tell I need one of the expensive active adaptors. I'll go that route if I can find a second hand one. Right angled DisplayPort cables/adaptors are rare and expensive as well.

time to get a new monitor then, as well? ;)
I seriously considered that! My current monitor is Qnix 2710 2560x1440 at 90hz and looking at the available options I'd have to spend a lot to get a decent improvement for my use. Also I'm pretty sure the wife would notice and ask some akward questions :)

looking good, how is the GPU supported ?
Mostly by the pipes and the riser but there is a bracket on the left that holds the mounting bracket just to hyelp keep it level but The pump is free-floating and held intirely by the pipes. The EK-HDC fittings are great.

Associate
OP
Here is a picture of it running, though it's not finished yet:

I have a displayport adaptor coming then I need to add the bottom, top and tempered glass. Also some lighting.

Back
Top Bottom