* The Metal Thread *

Permabanned
Spec me more metal.

I've been trying other type of music lately but fancy some more metal, well specifically death metal and thrash metal.

I recently got into Suffocation but Last.FM recommendations fail me and I can't think of any other death metal bands to try.

Any good ones I've missed?

I currently have the following death metal bands in my library..

Deicide
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Decapitated
Bloodbath
Behemoth
Vader
Necrophagist
Suffocation
Akercocke
Zyklon
Hate Eternal

As for thrash metal I can't think of many really, I don't like Metallica and I already have Slayer/Megadeth down.

Edit: http://www.last.fm/user/LukeMaNity my Last.FM there so you know what bands I've already got down. :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Hmm only heard of one of those death metal bands :eek:

Might have heard these already but these are my favourite death metal bands/albums

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper

The other CoB albums are worth checking out also but they're not as good as the two I've listed imo.

Ah I used to listen to Bodom like loads and loads, they were my top artist before I reset my charts but I got bored of them and hated AYDY? and the latest album :( and I never liked the woman from Arch Enemy. :p

Though those CoB albums listed are by far the better albums, along with Something Wild. ;)

Permabanned
OP
Too many bands. :o :p

Just been listening to the Death discog, gonna work my way through some more of these bands in a bit. :)

Death are awesome btw!

Permabanned
OP
I have been pre-occupied with Death all day today, they are brilliant, shame about Chuck though I read about that cancer ordeal a while back. :(

Permabanned
OP
Yea, I understand the vocals are not your typical death metal style deep stuff, but I like em.

I do like that tho, apart from the cookie monsterness ;)

I don't like Decapitated all that much, but the drummer was excellent, he died in an accident sometime last year though. :(

These chaps are probably my favourite Death Metal band, although it's not all strictly Death Metal to be honest, nice and varied, anyway they are called Akercocke. :cool:

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9oM4f1xdQ - Watch that, it is quite funny! :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Emperor are my favourite metal band, black metal more specifically.

Some of the most well put together and atmospheric music I've ever heard, not just mindlessly screaming or being grotesque in lyrics. Oh and some of the Emperor lyrics are really good.

This live video from London 1999 is actually amazing.

Cosmic Keys and Into the Infinity of Thoughts are just amazing. Seriously, listen!

Of course the vocals aren't for everyone but the music itself cannot be faulted! It took me a good while to really get into them.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Someone turned me onto these guys the other day. Pretty good I think.

Used to listen to them got kinda bored though, the bassist is hot.

I've been getting into Cannibal Corpse a lot more lately, used to like them but not as much as I do now.

Great song, I absolutely love the part from 0:15-0:45

One of the few songs I like with the original Cannibal Corpse vocalist.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
@ Margaret - I think you're the person i told to listen to Prometheus (Emperor). You seriously don't know what you're missing out on. Absolutely epic.

I love Emperor, they are my favourite band but don't like that album so much, I like a few songs but find myself listening to Live Inferno a lot these days, along with ITNE and Anthems. :D

Easily my favourite live album. :)

Speaking of ITNE, I listened to the entirety of Into the Infinity of Thoughts and holy god damn Ihsahn's scream at 7:27 is NUTS!

Permabanned
OP
Dimmu Borgir death metal? lol seriously?!

They were black metal, not really sure if I would call them that anymore though, latest album was balls!

Here's some black metal;

Death Metal;

I don't really like any modern black metal, the 90s is where it's at for that genre.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Oh give over, you're becoming very dull.

:rolleyes:

Yea ok you like Emperor we get it :p

Nothing wrong with Dimmus latest album at all.

I actually linked one Dissection video but messed the link up so just slapped another Emperor code in there.

Well, the latest Dimmu album sucked compared to the older stuff which I was a fan of.

I love this cover of Metal Heart that Dimmu did though, it's pretty good.

Gotten into Zyklon a lot lately too, yes the band that has 2 Emperor members in it and the bassist/vocalist did Emperor's last live shows with them. :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP

Some very funny texts being sent in on that video, great band by the way.

Edit: Find it quite hilarious how serious people can take lyrics, ridiculous really.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP

Oh my that song is just great, gets better every time I listen to it. That intro is gold.

Feels like I posted it in this thread before, definitely somewhere else anyway.

Bit of Bathory is always good too.

I have a confession to make.
A couple of days ago I came across a band called Warmen who are amazing.
They are a bit Metal/Prog with an amazing keyboard player but the singing isn't that strong.
I then looked up Warmen to find it is the keyboard player out of Children Of Bodom of whom I listened to a bit of one track over 10 years ago and decided I wouldn't bother again.
I then decided to listen to them again and today have decided they are bloody amazing.
Fantastic musicianship, bit of prog thrown in and the voice not too daft.
I can't believe I've missed them this last 10 years or so.

Children of Bodoms first 3 albums are good but I wouldn't bother with AYDY or the latest one, trash in comparison to the old stuff.

Probably their best song.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Oh you must have forgotten, Margaret is one of those people that seems to hate bands new albums.

Dimmu Borgir was first and now Bodom....

Nope, I thought Behemoth and Enslaved had decent new albums. The Rammstein one seems good so far and the new Immortal stuff is great.

Behemoth and Immortal have exactly the same sound as they did 10 years ago. It's good stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom