The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
The olympus 300mm f4 is an incredible lens. Loved it for all of the 6 weeks I owned it before selling all my kit and going full frame.

Still much lighter than a full frame 300m f4 though ;)

Soldato
Ordered the Canon RF14-35 F4 from Pana moz, will hopefully be here end of next week as I’m going away on the 8th of November.

Tempted by the 70-200 F4 too.

Associate
Just got my canon r6 to replace my old 5dII.

Cheeky one - would anyone be wiling to lend me a sigma usb dock (canon) to update my art lenses. Postage, payment of a beer on me.

Soldato
Now have an R5 with the 85 and 35 rf lenses and have had my sigma 100-600 c

Coming from my old d850 it's brilliant, took some time to get it set up but love the fact there is no shutter slap that sounds like a nuke going off!
Also seeing the exposure real time is bloody handy.

Now do I go with the 100-500 rf and 2x Tele, 100x400 with 2x Tele or go 800rf , all for birding and aircraft, might keep the sigma but don't want to use the TC on that as the images at times can be pretty soft at 850.

Soldato
Bought my own Z7 and 24-70 F4 kit after being very impressed before handing it over, paid more than I originally did but it’s still great for the price.

If you price up the Z7 and the 24-70 separately then the saving is very good. Mad really bundling the 24-70 as part of a kit when it’s £900 in the UK in most places.

Last edited:
Soldato
Smiling at everyone buying mirrorless, I just picked up possibly a 40 year old Bronica ETRS medium format film camera system… bit of a bucket list thing, always wanted to have a play with medium format.
After about 13+ years I ventured back into the darkroom, really is quite refreshing being hands on with the hobby again.
Still something nice about working with B&W film.

Associate
Smiling at everyone buying mirrorless, I just picked up possibly a 40 year old Bronica ETRS medium format film camera system… bit of a bucket list thing, always wanted to have a play with medium format.
After about 13+ years I ventured back into the darkroom, really is quite refreshing being hands on with the hobby again.
Still something nice about working with B&W film.

Nice :)

I tend to get my Mamiya RB67 out in the winter months, I mostly use B+W film. Something very satisfying in using a completely manual camera and getting a decent shot. Also having just 10 exposures makes you really think about the picture you are trying to take instead of just snapping away.

Soldato
I am hoping to buy a A6600 before the £150 cash back deal ends this Jan 2022 and I was going to buy the Tamron 17-70 f2.8.
How good is this combination of A6600 and sigma 18-50 !as I might consider this lens as it is cheaper than the Tamron ! ?

Just to let you know that e-infinity is selling the a6600 for £1,059 but maybe you're already getting a better price after cashback?

The Sigma 18-50 and a6600 is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. It's a lovely compact size and very light.

The Tamron is quite a bit bigger and almost twice the weight but does have built in stabilisation while the Sigma doesn't. However, since the A6600 has IBIS, you don't need a lens with stabilization.

The Tamron (and Sony 16-55 which is also bigger than the Sigma but also no built in stabilisation) has better weather sealing whilst the Sigma has very basic weather protection.

The Tamron has a longer focal range of course giving you the full frame equivalent of 25.5mm to 105mm while the Sigma gives the equivalent of 27mm to 75mm, so your choice depends on how important that extra reach is to you.

Optically, I think the Sigma is superb and pretty good in low light with the a6600 at f2.8. If you want a light small zoom lens which is quite fast, has great optics and you don't mind slightly less focal reach at the long end, then you can't really go wrong with the Sigma 18-50. Hope this helps. :) Check out this comparison review.

https://youtu.be/ObH5uqmRwH4

Associate
Just to let you know that e-infinity is selling the a6600 for £1,059 but maybe you're already getting a better price after cashback?

The Sigma 18-50 and a6600 is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned. It's a lovely compact size and very light.

The Tamron is quite a bit bigger and almost twice the weight but does have built in stabilisation while the Sigma doesn't. However, since the A6600 has IBIS, you don't need a lens with stabilization.

The Tamron (and Sony 16-55 which is also bigger than the Sigma but also no built in stabilisation) has better weather sealing whilst the Sigma has very basic weather protection.

The Tamron has a longer focal range of course giving you the full frame equivalent of 25.5mm to 105mm while the Sigma gives the equivalent of 27mm to 75mm, so your choice depends on how important that extra reach is to you.

Optically, I think the Sigma is superb and pretty good in low light with the a6600 at f2.8. If you want a light small zoom lens which is quite fast, has great optics and you don't mind slightly less focal reach at the long end, then you can't really go wrong with the Sigma 18-50. Hope this helps. :) Check out this comparison review.

https://youtu.be/ObH5uqmRwH4

is e-infinity a grey import site ! ?

Though the Tamron is a lot bigger than the Sigma and the Optical Stabilisation would be nice in the lens. I can live with out that if the IBIS in the A6600 is good enough ! ?
I am looking for a sharp lens and f2.8 will help low light situations as APSC will struggle more than Full Frame in low light. Though I have a Canon EOS 7Dii I do own a Sony NEX5R with 18-55 OSS f3.5-5.6 lens, so the focal length will be ok for me as I use this camera for city breaks and for hand / carry on luggage.
One of my other Sony E mount lenses is 50mm f1.8 which is pretty sharp !

Another reason I want to get the A6600 is the eye AF detect AF which is IMO a game charger !

Back
Top Bottom