• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The next gen xxnm GPU thread.

Soldato
It's like Priority seating on buses for the disabled - the ones you never see occupied by a disabled person. AMD is the disabled person, and is too depressed/skint to go out and ride a bus.

Oh no he dit'nt!

Don't disabled people go free on buses? :D

It's a good analogy but its not quite carling!

lol

Caporegime
Given how much difficulty they've had shrinking beyond 28nm, I'm not at all sure why people aren't expecting massive delays for future process shrinks. 10nm in 2017? I'll be surprised if we see it before 2020.

Unless they are further distorting reality with the nomenclature, and "10nm" is really 22nm or something.

Soldato
You only have to look back at when tsmc announce stuff and when AMD/nvidia get products out... Tsmc have already announced 16nm is in volume, but 16nm GPU's are still 9-12 months away, if tsmc say 10nm is q4-2016 to q1-2017, then its going to be 2018 before we see GPU's, so yeah we are looking at 2017 16nm refreshes

Associate
I think we will see quite moderate mm2 or density die for Nvidia, even with 'big' pascal. They have no reason to push the limits too hard (although the margins and their appeal grants them additional leeway), what they need is a high perf dp part to replace their aged GK110/210 reasonably soonish.
So 2017 16nm refresh could have plenty of untapped performance to be realised.

Soldato
Hopefully all of TSMC's nodes will offer a HP process on launch like 16FF+... seeing as how they are cutting so many corners that's the least they can do.

Soldato
Why do GF suck so bad at making their own processes... 28nm late, 20nm MIA, 14nm saved by Samsung - have to wonder if AMD will throw their hands up and take the hit from the supply agreement penalty or just dump them @ 10nm in favour of SS/TSMC.

I read a theory last night which I have an eerie feeling will come true, AMD competing against 16FF+ Pascal with tiny but dense/efficient 14nm chips because GF/SS can't offer anything that can do 300+mm2. That would be short sighted as NV will just beat them with raw grunt. I had assumed that a high-performance process would be offered by the time AMD taped out but there's no sign of one, so unless it's a secret I guess this theory might just pan out.

Associate
I'm interested to know whether big or little Pascal arrives first, and whether or not the (relatively) aggressive pricing of the 970 will re-appear.

Soldato
Little Pascal first. They are having trouble even with 20nm yields still, they won't be able to make the bigboy until 2017 quite likely.

bru

bru

Soldato
I'm interested to know whether big or little Pascal arrives first, and whether or not the (relatively) aggressive pricing of the 970 will re-appear.

Little Pascal first. They are having trouble even with 20nm yields still, they won't be able to make the bigboy until 2017 quite likely.

Little Pascal first would be what we would expect, especially with what NVidia have done for the last few generations. But I've got a funny feeling that they will surprise us this tome round, what with the rumour that big Pascal taped out first, we might see a bonkers powerful Pascal Titan with an astronomical price first along with the compute variant, then the little Pascal before mainstream big Pascal variant.

Back
Top Bottom