• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The next gen xxnm GPU thread.

Associate
But I've got a funny feeling that they will surprise us this tome round, what with the rumour that big Pascal taped out first, we might see a bonkers powerful Pascal Titan with an astronomical price first

Yeah, that 'news' is what got me thinking.

Another factor could be HBM2 supply- if that's limited, you may want to distribute across product lines for the most profitable outcome.

Soldato
Pre-Fiji all the usual suspects were saying "LOL HBM2 is so far away, no chance before Q4 2016". Now they're the naive dreamers. "BIG PASCAL COULD LAUNCH Q1!!!"

This forum is so funny.

Caporegime
Yeah, that 'news' is what got me thinking.

Another factor could be HBM2 supply- if that's limited, you may want to distribute across product lines for the most profitable outcome.

I think you might be right, if HBM2.0 is going to be in short supply then it would make sense to launch big chip Pascal first with crazy prices and low supply (for the low demand). Once HBM2 supply is healthier then mid and small sized pascals will launch.

Big pascal taped out first,it could be in the market Q2 2016.

Caporegime
Pre-Fiji all the usual suspects were saying "LOL HBM2 is so far away, no chance before Q4 2016". Now they're the naive dreamers. "BIG PASCAL COULD LAUNCH Q1!!!"

This forum is so funny.

I don't remember reading that, in fact I distinctly remember the exact opposite with AMD fanboys like drunkenmasker swearing blind that AMD would be stupid to release a 4GB HBM Fiji, or course there would be 8GB cards available, look here is proof of 8Gb Fiji, yada yada, yada. While all the rumours and leaks were 4GB.

In the end the leaks and rumours were right, the realists were validated, and the dreamers changed their tune to 4GB is plenty.

Caporegime
I don't remember reading that, in fact I distinctly remember the exact opposite with AMD fanboys like drunkenmasker swearing blind that AMD would be stupid to release a 4GB HBM Fiji, or course there would be 8GB cards available, look here is proof of 8Gb Fiji, yada yada, yada. While all the rumours and leaks were 4GB.

In the end the leaks and rumours were right, the realists were validated, and the dreamers changed their tune to 4GB is plenty.

Once again rewriting history. I said 4GB was perfectly understandable, I talked about how they could achieve 8GB and I also said I'd buy a 4GB version for cheaper if it was available as I have absolutely no need for it. I won't be playing 4k for at least another 2 years, 8GB is entirely irrelevant to me.

Too many people can't understand the simple difference between explaining HOW something might happening and instantly believing that person is saying it WOULD happen. I specifically on multiple occasions was one of the people saying 4GB was more likely and I categorically never once claimed AMD would be stupid to release a 4GB model. I'm one of the few people posting links throughout the past year insisting that more than 4GB is entirely unnecessary. I've also gone into detail about why a company has to release a product with a new type of memory that often has strengths AND weaknesses. You don't get HBM 2 without going through HBM 1, you don't get 8hi stacks without doing 4 hi stacks, you don't get volume or decreasing prices before someone makes a product with intention to ship so the memory maker actually starts production.

I swore blind AMD would be stupid to release with 4GB, lol, that literally couldn't be further from the truth. In fact almost no AMD guy said that at all, it was a running theme with every Nvidia guy in every thread.

Caporegime
Soldato
I doubt "AMD Innovation Lab" exists, just a fancy bit of theatre after they stumbled upon one engineer's side project in his spare time. Decided to show it on stage, gauge interest... total cost $0.

Back
Top Bottom