• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The NVidia GV100 News Thread

Associate
What the expectation on Volta's release for us gamers?

We don't really know.

What's likely is we get the 2080 (1080 replacement) in March next year. That's 1 year after the release of the 1080 Ti, and coincides with GDDR6 at 16 Gb/s availability, which would give 512 GB/s bandwidth on a 256-bit bus.

All lines up with the kinds of things Nvidia would be looking for in a gaming card.

The very shortest time between Nvidia releases tends to be 9 months, so that would be mid-December. But that's an odd time to launch a card.

So I think absolute earliest to expect a gaming card is CES 2018 in January, and a more 'normal' timeframe is March 2018.

Associate
A Ti release so shortly after the initial release? Nah I don't believe that.

It will be the same as with GTX980Ti. Reason for the fast release wasn't Fury, but the timeframe till 1080 comes. Fury only influenced the price. Nvidia wants to have a return on investment and that's only possible if the Ti is ~1year on the market. It's useless to plan a product if the successor in 7nm comes in 6 month. So Ti will come again pretty fast, but as Nvidia probably won't have competition the price won't be nice.

Associate
It will be the same as with GTX980Ti. Reason for the fast release wasn't Fury, but the timeframe till 1080 comes. Fury only influenced the price. Nvidia wants to have a return on investment and that's only possible if the Ti is ~1year on the market. It's useless to plan a product if the successor in 7nm comes in 6 month. So Ti will come again pretty fast, but as Nvidia probably won't have competition the price won't be nice.

Not impossible, however I'll be in a skeptical standby mode until I see it happen. Hope you're right because I'd love me some Volta Ti sweetness and hope my current card is still worth something (a beer or two maybe) to partially finance it.

Caporegime
Do you have a reliable source for that time frame or is merely expectations?

We know SK Hynix is supplying GDDR6 for a GPU released in early 2018 over a 384bit interface giving 768GBps. That is a fact

We then can speculate That that is Titan Volta, the 2080 won't need that much BW at all and AMD won't be dropping HBM2. Since Nvidia will want to release the 2080 before the Titan it will likely come Q4 this year.

Associate
We know SK Hynix is supplying GDDR6 for a GPU released in early 2018 over a 384bit interface giving 768GBps. That is a fact

We then can speculate That that is Titan Volta, the 2080 won't need that much BW at all and AMD won't be dropping HBM2. Since Nvidia will want to release the 2080 before the Titan it will likely come Q4 this year.

Excellent breakdown, thanks! Made time remember the Hynix news story. I too doubt a putative 2080 will have a 384 bit bus, 256 more likely, leaving the former for the titan part.

26th March 2018 is the current guesstimate.

edit - Read the above and it makes sense, 2080 early w/GDDR5X and Titan in March with the GDDR6

Nvidia will use GDDR6 from the get go I imagine. 5X was more of a bridging part.

Man of Honour
How much does a wafer tend to cost to produce? One working GPU per wafer seems quite wasteful.

Anywhere from £2000 to £10,000 though that isn't the whole story of the costs involved dunno if they do it in this case but they might be using a mixture of techniques like putting different products on one wafer so that they will have some working stuff.

Back
Top Bottom