• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The NVidia GV100 News Thread

Soldato
How do we know Ampere is not a Pascal refresh and they are saving / renaming Volta which will end up being ampere's successor? Then it just seems they skipped releasing Volta gaming cards. I mean they kinda are in a position to do this and would make them more money.

Soldato
How do we know Ampere is not a Pascal refresh and they are saving / renaming Volta which will end up being ampere's successor? Then it just seems they skipped releasing Volta gaming cards. I mean they kinda are in a position to do this and would make them more money.

Good point, Its not like they need more

Associate
This is what is likely happening, did we not already get wind of 2018 gpu refreshes to both nvidia and amd cards?
A refresh or something similar makes sense, maybe volta would end up like vega if pushed out just now - not much supports its more advanced features and it would be struggling against older pascal chips like vega seems to do in older titles.

Soldato
Nope, a chunk of games run at full fat, 4K.
Yep and i remember all the nay sayers. Naa it takes a 1080 minimum to run 4k at high settings at around 60FPS so how does a 1060/580 equivalent do it.
It's called optimisation, its generally much easier and more time can be spent getting a game to run on console hardware as its one specific hardware set. PC hardware is a minefield to optimise for and generally games/engines are made for console hardware in mind then ported over to PC and with the many many different hardware types and generations of CPUs and GPUs it takes much longer to make a game run well on PC.

I see it like iphones vs android phones. You can have a much better spec android phone but doing day to day stuff the iphone is on par with the superior android specced phone. Its because android is made with many different hardware configs. Iphones are just a specific hardware set. It makes optimisation easier.

Sorry i'm just gloating in the fact i was right before the xbox one x came out.

Associate
Yep and i remember all the nay sayers. Naa it takes a 1080 minimum to run 4k at high settings at around 60FPS so how does a 1060/580 equivalent do it.
It's called optimisation, its generally much easier and more time can be spent getting a game to run on console hardware as its one specific hardware set. PC hardware is a minefield to optimise for and generally games/engines are made for console hardware in mind then ported over to PC and with the many many different hardware types and generations of CPUs and GPUs it takes much longer to make a game run well on PC.

I see it like iphones vs android phones. You can have a much better spec android phone but doing day to day stuff the iphone is on par with the superior android specced phone. Its because android is made with many different hardware configs. Iphones are just a specific hardware set. It makes optimisation easier.

Sorry i'm just gloating in the fact i was right before the xbox one x came out.

From what I remember seeing, there was only 1 game that ran at 4k60fps (forza), some at 4k30fps...many still at 1080p30fps.

It is definitely nowhere near a gtx1080.

Look at the games that are running at 4k30fps, this is very often achievable on the gtx1060, especially if you don't run the game at max settings (which they almost always don't on console)

Back
Top Bottom