*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Question an an Asp Explorer build:

It comes with the shield installed in a class 5 slot - but it actually has a class 6 internal (ironically with a class 5 cargo hold in it).

Is there any downside (aside from cargo space) to moving to a class 6 shield? As far as I can see, a 6C is stronger than a 5A and massively cheaper.

It comes with the shield installed in a class 5 slot - but it actually has a class 6 internal (ironically with a class 5 cargo hold in it).

Is there any downside (aside from cargo space) to moving to a class 6 shield? As far as I can see, a 6C is stronger than a 5A and massively cheaper.

Depends what you're doing. Class 6 will need more power.

Are you just smuggling in it? If so, you only need a shield to last the time it takes to boost away from an enemy and jump away

To be fair the grey is practically the default load out colour. I went with the ice one. You get the whole pack though.

Trying out a new build: 2 med gimbled multi at the nose, 2 large gimbled beams underneath, and 2 large gimbled cannons on top. It's very beastly, although it isn't as efficient on ammo and requires a bit of power management to keep it going.

Takes Shields down quickly like stacked pulse, but also shreds hulls. Big ships take a couple passes on Shields though because you only get about 15s sustained with the beams

If it's a pure explorer build, then just go with the lightest shield. You won't need it out in the depths of the universe anyway. I have mine turned off and switch it back on when getting back to the bubble after my expedition.

Up to Baron and at 30% towards whatever comes next, so I'm getting there. I haven't racked up as much credits as I thought I would by the time I got here, though. Up to 80m. Not too bad, I guess.

I'm not sure whether to stick with my Vulture until I can buy an Anaconda, buy a Clipper and some good upgrades or wax the lot on a basic Python and then grind RES until I have another 100m, or so.

I still have my kitted out Asp, so this one would be pure combat for making money.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
Up to Baron and at 30% towards whatever comes next, so I'm getting there. I haven't racked up as much credits as I thought I would by the time I got here, though. Up to 80m. Not too bad, I guess.

I'm not sure whether to stick with my Vulture until I can buy an Anaconda, buy a Clipper and some good upgrades or wax the lot on a basic Python and then grind RES until I have another 100m, or so.

I still have my kitted out Asp, so this one would be pure combat for making money.

Suggestions?

What are you doing to rank up Empire?

Get a clipper. You'll be able to kit it out rather than running a bare bones python, and it's such a nice cockpit. Why bother ranking up in empire unless you are going to enjoy the perks along the way. Despite there being more powerful ships out there, it's still in my top 3 favourites, and its speed makes it an excellent pirating ship. Also big enough to mass lock those little traders when they inevitably run rather than surrender those tasty rares.

A couple of hours later and I'm at Viscount with 100m in credits.

I was leaning towards that way, Devrij. I figure that I can always sell it on later and the jump in buy-back cost isn't going to be as noticeable as it would be with a Python.

I'm still farming HiRes sites in my A class ViperMk3. I have 27Million credits. Do I keep farming or do I now have enough saved to buy another ship for bigger earnings. trading or.........

Do it, it'll be a nice change

Picked one up. It is a cracking looking ship. A bit bigger than I expected it to be, but with a bit of practice, I should be able to get it through the letterbox while coming in hot with illicit cargo on board.

I have a bit of a jack-of-all-trades fit on it at the moment, but will play around with it later tonight. I have around 50m to play with and already have top power plant, diz, shield & thrusters etc.

Currently using two beams (one gimballed & one fixed) and two cannons. It tears most things apart, but it gets hot really fast in combat, even without using SCB, so I need to look at that.

Do you have one, Devrij? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Depends. Are you still enjoying it?

Yes.

I'm changing the way I farm a little now so I can stay out for longer before running out of ammo for the multi cannons. I've started to wait until the security forces do most of the work and then glory hunting for the final few hits.

Yes.

I'm changing the way I farm a little now so I can stay out for longer before running out of ammo for the multi cannons. I've started to wait until the security forces do most of the work and then glory hunting for the final few hits.

You upped sticks and moved from Kremainn then? Did you find a good place close by? I'm currently moving around a lot, due to grinding rank, but will be looking for a spot to get used to combat in the Clipper.

I seem to have lost my stick settings.

Does anyone have a Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS config they can send me?

The thought of remapping everything again through that horrid menu system fills me with dread :S

Back
Top Bottom