*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Associate
Go into mission board, accept a mission, second later it fails, look in the log and it says unknown contact, failed etc...
If it's a transport X mission I end up with illegal cargo as it thinks it's stolen...

I get that when I'm stacking missions in Sothis, I usually need to log off go into a different session type and then its fine.

Associate
How is the game to play now? I stopped playing a while ago because i got bored of grinding r.e.s to get money for better parts and eventually better ships.

Is it still the same? With the end game goal to be piloting an anoconda, then carrying on farming money at r.e.s?

Also whats the deal with this new update, do players NEED crew to man the guns or can the game still be solo'd?

Associate
How is the game to play now? I stopped playing a while ago because i got bored of grinding r.e.s to get money for better parts and eventually better ships.

Is it still the same? With the end game goal to be piloting an anoconda, then carrying on farming money at r.e.s?

Also whats the deal with this new update, do players NEED crew to man the guns or can the game still be solo'd?

It's all a mindset, I still spend all of my time in either a cobra mk 3 or a asp explorer, it's still a grind but unless money is your motivator then yes the game hasn't changed. Once I forgot about "money" in the game I actually enjoy it more.

Associate
It's all a mindset, I still spend all of my time in either a cobra mk 3 or a asp explorer, it's still a grind but unless money is your motivator then yes the game hasn't changed. Once I forgot about "money" in the game I actually enjoy it more.

I might try it again but one of the reasons i stopped wasnt just money, it was lack of pvp. I know there is an actual pvp mode , i tryed it and enjoyed it. I think its with the game being on pc, being able to handle more players and so the interactions where more wide spread.

Do you know what its like on console? I was thinking of buying it on that because there would be less players on a wider scale so interactions would be more concentrated , or isnt that the case?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Was ganked last night whilst in my Vette. By ganked, I very much mean killed for no genuine reason. No bounty, no communications, no wanted status, not in a CZ and no cargo.
Pulled out of supercruise by a wing of 3 ships. No idea what 2 of them were as I took one look at the Cutter and decided to avoid the combat.

Problem was that I was well rusty and on reflection, did everything wrong. Tried low waking out, was mass locked despite being in the Vette. Failed to use my shield cells correctly. Just a balls up and bad piloting.
Was hit by a hail of fire, including missiles, which I think knocked out my FSD once the shields were down, after that, I was just an easy target. 35 million credits later I logged off to chill out.

This morning, made a conscious walkthrough of what I should have done, which IMO is:
- Practice using my shield and heat cells. It's not that my ships don't have them

For the interdiction, as soon as you realise that you don't want the fight:
- Even before being interdicted, put 4 pips into shields, 2 into engines
- Select the nearest system and engage FSD for a high wake exit
- Lose one shield ring, add in a shield cell (my Vette has plenty)
- Use the heat cells as required, but worry less about heat and more about shields
- On arrival in the next system, go chose another system, just incase they decide to follow

My expectation is that pretty much any of my ships should be able to withstand fire for long enough to high wake out.

If you guys have not thought about this, it's worth working out your own extraction plan.

Associate
Mr_Sukebe;30483814 said:
Was ganked last night whilst in my Vette. By ganked, I very much mean killed for no genuine reason. No bounty, no communications, no wanted status, not in a CZ and no cargo.
Pulled out of supercruise by a wing of 3 ships. No idea what 2 of them were as I took one look at the Cutter and decided to avoid the combat.

Problem was that I was well rusty and on reflection, did everything wrong. Tried low waking out, was mass locked despite being in the Vette. Failed to use my shield cells correctly. Just a balls up and bad piloting.
Was hit by a hail of fire, including missiles, which I think knocked out my FSD once the shields were down, after that, I was just an easy target. 35 million credits later I logged off to chill out.

This morning, made a conscious walkthrough of what I should have done, which IMO is:
- Practice using my shield and heat cells. It's not that my ships don't have them

- Use the heat cells as required, but worry less about heat and more about shields
- On arrival in the next system, go chose another system, just incase they decide to follow

My expectation is that pretty much any of my ships should be able to withstand fire for long enough to high wake out.

If you guys have not thought about this, it's worth working out your own extraction plan.

My extraction plan is playing private or solo thus I don't have a problem with being ganked.

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe;30483814 said:

Alas, for a huge lump of PvP in ED, this is all it currently is - random interdiction, destruction for absolutely no ingame purpose and simply for the entertainment of the some individuals who get a kick out of thinking they aggravated another player.

And unfortunately not only do Frontier seem to be coveting this gameplay as if it's something genuinely of worth to the game, they seem to be doing nothing to actually offer more meaningful PvE yet alone even PvP mechanics.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Or amass such large amounts of money it doesn't matter.

All hail SOTHIS :)

Again the penalty for PVP is not enough.

Soldato
Trig;30483952 said:
As I've said before, in real life, people are dicks, why would you expect anything different in game, if you don't want to take the risk then solo/private...

Or... The game could proactively reduce how dickish they can be, while at the same time finally actually to introduce some more interesting, constructive, orchestrated PvE and PvP mechanics. (PvE and PvP because they're nigh on the same except NPCs can be injected/used).

At the moment I could sit at one of the ruins blowing up explorer after explorer... I could do the same tomorrow... And the day after... The following day I arrive and there's still not a single blemish on my record... The explorers there are still not aware I'm a complete twonk! How is this good mechanics!? How is allowing me to be such a twonk without any penalty good for the game?

Surely logic could dictate, if I act like a psycho, and start destroying too many Pilots Federation members within a time frame, I start getting penalised... What's so mad about that?

Soldato
Yes, here should be something that marks you as being a dick, but there shouldn't be anything that directly stops it, just marked as such and bounties for getting them...

Soldato
Trig;30484232 said:
Yes, here should be something that marks you as being a dick, but there shouldn't be anything that directly stops it, just marked as such and bounties for getting them...

Well, I've suggest (akin to many other similar system) a Criminal Reputation system. Where it doesn't stop you "illegally" destroying other CMDRs, but if you do it too much, too often, penalties start mounting up such that you really wouldn't want to continue - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Reputation-quot-and-quot-Risk-Hot-Spots-quot

ie: There's be nothing stopping you from blowing me up on a whim. But continue with this sort of activity too often, you'll get more and more penalised.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Agreed on many counts guys. There SHOULD be an genuinely effective criminal system. I suggested the idea of super-power wide bounties some time ago, and believe that it would help.

I do have the cash for it not to genuinely make that much difference, for all that, I still feel rather saddened that some of the players genuinely wish just to inflict loss on another player. It's not that it was done for a reason, or just to prove that they were a better combat pilot. After all, 3v1 is never going to be fair, which is why I attempted to leave the combat.

Will it put me off "open". Probably not, though it will make me more careful. I rather enjoyed the additional role play opportunities.
For example, just a couple of days previously, I'd been in the system with the combat bounty community goal. We'd had an FDL gain wanted status. Being in a Vette, would have probably been fairly easy to take him on, but instead of just shooting first, messaged him and asked him to leave the system with a warning. Felt much better than blowing him out of the sky. When he wasn't in a hurry, worked over his shields, but happily let him run. To date, I've never killed another CMDR, and really don't wish to. I'd much rather play cooperatively.

Soldato
I've killed a CMDR before, I was on my way boosting out of dock when he came in in his Eagle, bouncing off of me and then into the sides of the letterbox didnt seem to do him much good...

On the Vette note, was out a bit yesterday playing with sheild boosters and heatsinks, made just over 2 mill in about half an hour, not too bad...

Soldato
Trig;30486097 said:
I've killed a CMDR before, I was on my way boosting out of dock when he came in in his Eagle, bouncing off of me and then into the sides of the letterbox didnt seem to do him much good...

If he'd blown up by hitting you (instead of the station) you'd then have been blown up by the station.

You'll see griefers in little ships hanging around stations from time to time, who have reduced their hull down to a low figure, turned their shields off, and then when they see a CMDR going in/out of the station >100m/s will simply fly into them, for the enjoyment of seeing the station then blowing the CMDR up...

Back
Top Bottom