*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
This is quite amazing to see new players enjoying the game.
Its as if I went back to 2013/14 when the game was ramping up in popularity :)
I'm very happy for everyone who are really enjoying this game.

Associate
Any tips for fun stuff to do planet side? I've done a bit of roaming around in my SRV. One or two "scan the data point before you get done for trespassing" missions. But none of it seemed very interesting. What am I missing?
Land on a high G planet. Manually ;) Just be careful. Having said that, I wouldn't trust docking computer anyway, I saw it crashing an anaconda on a 4G world. Good it missed my ship!
Not sure what bodies you can find in the bubble, but I had a mission on a 2G planet, something like that would be enough for start.
Can do SRV drifting in VR, but hardware is a must for this.
You can look for canyons, mountains, geysers, check system orrery and see if an eclipse is possible.
Land on Mitterand Hollow and enjoy the view. Landing there may prove to be a challenge.
It's in Epsilon Indi system. I think FSS doesn't detect this moon, you need to get close to the planet New Africa.

Associate
odd, im at a station that sells Power Plant level 5 (EDDB), but i cant see it in my ASP Explorer to buy it ?

and anything else for that matter,

FSD max 5. but cant get a 5 ?
What station, out of interest? And have you tried logging out, or even restarting the game?

I've never had this happen to me, although Inara's outfitting page does say that things like faction state can affect module availability.

Edit: You haven't bought an Asp Scout instead of an Asp Explorer by accident, have you? :eek:

Underboss
What station, out of interest? And have you tried logging out, or even restarting the game?

I've never had this happen to me, although Inara's outfitting page does say that things like faction state can affect module availability.

Edit: You haven't bought an Asp Scout instead of an Asp Explorer by accident, have you? :eek:

ROFL
so i did !!!!!!!!!!!

woops !

i feel like a right **** now

Associate
ROFL
so i did !!!!!!!!!!!
I am feeling so pleased with myself right now :D :D

If it's not too late to warn you, be sure to sell any modules you've installed before selling the actual ship (or store them if you're going to reuse them, rather than selling the ship and rebuying the modules). You can sell modules for whatever you paid for them, so you only lose any engineering done to them, but you lose 10% of the purchase price on ships and also on any modules that are in the ship when you sell it.

Associate
2 SRVs? What do you want 2 for?
I needed 2 for clearing out a guardian area. Nearly destroyed one as well.

Returned back to the bubble from pottering around Coalsack - quite a few jumps. My dolphin was looking a little battered as a result.
Passenger missions have been taking me to interesting areas - quite lucrative as explore along the way (system and planet scanning)

One other thing about the rescue missions (which I agree are definately worth doing) - if you haven't already got the hang of it, practice manual docking before you go as a docking computer doesn't work in a damaged station.

Might give this a shot, as my dolphin spec should cover it. Been practising landing on planets

Soldato
I am feeling so pleased with myself right now :D :D

If it's not too late to warn you, be sure to sell any modules you've installed before selling the actual ship (or store them if you're going to reuse them, rather than selling the ship and rebuying the modules). You can sell modules for whatever you paid for them, so you only lose any engineering done to them, but you lose 10% of the purchase price on ships and also on any modules that are in the ship when you sell it.

I have a nasty habit of reading stuff like this just after doing the thing I should have done differently. Not, on this occasion, your message. But yesterday I sold my type-9 with modules attached and a minute later read that it was a terrible idea. Probably wiped out half of the profit I made on coffee while using it.

On the rescue missions - I have been darting in and out collecting debris. But on the two occasions I actually docked, the passenger missions were (unless I misinterpreted) showing as not available to me. The minimum number needing rescuing was 9, and I had space for only 4 was the reason as simple as that? You can't do it in multiple trips?

Associate
On the rescue missions - I have been darting in and out collecting debris. But on the two occasions I actually docked, the passenger missions were (unless I misinterpreted) showing as not available to me. The minimum number needing rescuing was 9, and I had space for only 4 was the reason as simple as that? You can't do it in multiple trips?
That's pretty unlucky - when I did some a couple of days ago there were quite a few groups of 4, even a 3!

You do have to take all the passengers for a single mission in one go, unlike normal delivery missions. Also, just to check, you do have a passenger cabin installed? They don't go in the cargo hold, it gets pretty chilly in there :)

FYI, the nearby rescue ship (where you deliver the passengers) sells passenger cabins of all sizes, so you can refit there, do some rescues, then sell the cabins and put your original modules back when you want to move on.

Soldato
I'm using a PS4 controller, on PC with Voice Attack. I'd love to try HOTAS for combat, but my VR setup and room layout mean that I can't wear my VR headset at my desk, without rearranging my room every time I want to play!

Cheers bud.
Are PS4 controllers easy to setup with PC?

Ever considered TrackIR?

Which VR setup you using?

Associate
Are PS4 controllers easy to setup with PC?
I use DS4Windows - seems to work well, although SteamVR can be a bit flaky with it if you've used the motion controllers earlier in the session. I just kill the Steam process and restart, then it all seems to work fine.

Ever considered TrackIR?
No, it's not really relevant for a VR player, and I don't have any non-VR games where I think I'd benefit from something like that. I do play Elite in non-VR too, but only for boring semi-AFK stuff like hauling.

Which VR setup you using?
Valve Index

Associate
Use controller too.

FYI, the nearby rescue ship (where you deliver the passengers) sells passenger cabins of all sizes, so you can refit there, do some rescues, then sell the cabins and put your original modules back when you want to move on.
Got lost in the rescue station trying to find the landing pad - got a tad warm and destroyed a few modules. Made a somewhat panicked exit - quite intense.
Having a little rest in the rescue ship

Soldato
I use a pad. Once you get used to them, the 'modifier' buttons work very well, and you can do almost everything without having to reach for the keyboard.

I did indeed find that once I had enough cabins, it was letting me pick up the passenger missions. Of course, typically, when I returned with 24 cabins, it was offering me missions with 3 or 4 passengers each, so I could have done them before. Still - I could do more of them!

The rewards aren't huge - but you can turn around missions in 5 minutes, so I guess the efficiency is OK. I did just land and find no further missions available. I have logged off in the burning station, so I hope that doesn't result in destruction! I'll be logging on again shortly so we will see!

EDIT: I can report it is possible to log out while docked at the burning station to give a chance for more missions to generate.

One question about heatsinks - I can't see how they regenerate. I seem to start with 3 available, but they don't regenerate (as far as I can tell). There's also no option to restock them, but nonetheless I do seem to be back to 3 after each (working) station visit.

Last edited:
Associate
The rewards aren't huge - but you can turn around missions in 5 minutes, so I guess the efficiency is OK.
Apart from rank grinding if the station has a lot of factions belonging to the Empire or Federation, I don't think these are considered to be a great way of making money. I just do them from time to time because I enjoy the experience :)
One question about heatsinks - I can't see how they regenerate. I seem to start with 3 available, but they don't regenerate (as far as I can tell). There's also no option to restock them, but nonetheless I do seem to be back to 3 after each (working) station visit.
Heatsinks use ammo, so they restock in the same way you'd restock a multicannon's ammo. I'd guess you're just doing the "restock all" by default as soon as you dock? You can also synthesise them if you need to.

Soldato
I was doing re-stock all. But I didn't spot heatsinks in the list when I went to the manual version. Might have just missed it though!

I'm finding (or was before I switched to passengers) collector limpets annoyingly inconsistent.

Back
Top Bottom