**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
OP
Barnett Vs Fedor CANCELLED

Barnett Vs Fedor CANCELLED

Tom Atencio, the head of the Affliction MMA promotion, confirmed to FanHouse on Wednesday morning that Josh Barnett has been pulled out of his scheduled August 1 heavyweight title fight with Fedor Emelianenko. But Atencio said he still expects the Affliction Trilogy card to take place as scheduled.

Atencio said Barnett failed a drug test and therefore the California State Athletic Commission will not permit him to fight.

"He tested positive for a banned substance," Atencio said of Barnett. "The athletic commission will not reinstate his license."

Source:
http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/07/22/tom-atencio-josh-barnett-out-vs-fedor-emelianenko-card-still/

Associate
I didn't mind Brock when he first came onto the scene because I knew nothing about him except that he used to be on WWE. He just seemed like a monster of a man who had a lot of potential.

Unfortunately I watched all the prefight stuff on the night of UFC 100 and he just comes across as an arrogant jock. And I hate jocks.

Soldato
OP
Rumour is the replacement for Barnett is Vitor Belfort, but he was fighting on that card as a Middleweight so will be giving up quite a weight advantage to Fedor. The other options were Paul Buentello or another former WWE wrestler Bobby Lashley.

I think this could end affliction losing this fight.

Soldato
I have also heard the Bobby Lashley rumours, I think that would be the most interesting since he's pretty similar to Lesnar. With his amateur wrestling background, and a he isn't exactly a small guy.

Soldato
OP
Lashley is doing the MMA thing right though, he is starting from the bottom and working his way up. He has stated in interview that he will end up in the UFC, he is just earning his way and learning as he fights.

It's win, win for him to take the fight with Fedor. If he loses he has lost to the best HW fighter in the world, if he puts on a good show he gets mucho respect.

If he wins, he has beaten the top HW in the world and people will all be scrambling to sign him either to promote him, or for the UFC to prove Brock can beat him.

I like Lashley he isn't quite as big as Lesnar and doesn't have as much weight, but he seems to be developing nicely. Completely destroyed Bob Sapp in their last fight.

Soldato
Will be interesting to hear more about this, I certainly be looking forward to it if it actually went ahead.

An update on Bisping

"Fair play to Dan, he caught me and knocked me out. Everyone saw it. It is a setback, I am p***ed off, I was close to a title shot but I will be back.

"I want to fight in my hometown of Manchester in November and I want a top opponent, I don't want to go back down a level.

"I know I can compete with the best and want to prove that right away.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/2548586/Bisping-v-Wand-for-UFC-105.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The knockout Dan Henderson gave Bisping has clearly messed with his head, he is penciled to fight Wanderlei Silva at UFC 105. I know Wandy is getting on now, and his style of fighting has taken it's toll on him. But he has a solid chin, and has KO power like Hendo. I don't see this as a good come back fight for Bisping.

Wanderlei Silva's (32-10-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) first contest in the middleweight division will likely take place at UFC 105 in November.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that Silva is currently in negotiations to face Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) in the main event of the Spike TV-broadcast event. While bout agreements have not yet been distributed, company officials are hoping to officially announce the contest as soon as next week.

UFC 105 takes place at Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England. The card airs in the U.S. on same-day tape delay.

The bout will be Silva's first in the middleweight division after spending the majority of his legendary career competing at over 200 pounds. "The Axe Murderer" made the first step toward the 185-pond limit in June, dropping a unanimous decision to Rich Franklin in a catchweight bout at 195 pounds.

While Silva remains a worldwide fan-favorite, the 33-year-old has earned just one victory in his past six contests.

Bisping will be looking to rebound from a devastating knockout loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100 earlier this month. The defeat, was just the second in Bisping's MMA, career, and it ended a three-fight win streak for "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner.

Source: http://mmajunkie.com/news/15605/mic...rks-for-main-event-of-ufc-105-in-november.mma

Associate
Bisping and Wandy are pretty much hand picked for one another, it will be a KO for wand or Bisping/Leben all over again. This could be a big mistake for Bisping, always nice to see a Wand KO anyway.

Associate
Bisping has this fight if he does exactly what he did to Leben and Hendo (minus circling into his right hand :/)

If he gets in and out and picks his shots, Wandy won't be able to catch him. Clinchwork might be Wandys best bet. I think it would be a very close fight imo, Bisping by UD.

Soldato
Silva will knock Bisping out, as he has the ko punch and there is no way that Mike will keep him out, plus the fact that Bisping doesn't have any power to trouble Silva. I hope it doesn't happen myself.

Soldato
'MMAScoops.com: Press Release: Affliction 'Trilogy' Cancelled'

“Finding an opponent for the number one ranked MMA heavy weight champion in such a short period of time was a huge endeavor and I’m thrilled at the amount of fighters willing to take on this challenge,” said Tom Atencio, vice president of Affliction Entertainment. “But in the end, we just didn’t have enough time to promote a new fight to our standards.”

http://www.mmascoops.com/news.php?page=/250469498

Soldato
OP
Yeah I have heard this, Affliction are now gone as a promotion and will go back to sponsoring the UFC.

Dana has been having talks with Tito Ortiz and it looks like he is coming back.

Fedor is currently in talks with Strikeforce.

Soldato
OP
The main problem is they won't let him compete in Sambo if he signs with them, obviously he could get injured competing and that's not good for them. They won't budge on this and as Sambo is his national sport he won't either.

I'm not sure we will ever see Fedor in the UFC, looks like he will continue fighting outside in Strikeforce, Dream or Sengoku against former UFC champions or dropouts.

He won't ever be regarded as the true best HW in the world, if he hasn't got the top opposition to fight against.

Associate
The main problem is they won't let him compete in Sambo if he signs with them, obviously he could get injured competing and that's not good for them. They won't budge on this and as Sambo is his national sport he won't either.

I'm not sure we will ever see Fedor in the UFC, looks like he will continue fighting outside in Strikeforce, Dream or Sengoku against former UFC champions or dropouts.

He won't ever be regarded as the true best HW in the world, if he hasn't got the top opposition to fight against.

Not true... The UFC has questionable opposition at best in the HW catergory. The only person of note is Brock Lesnar!

If he reaches his potential there is no one in the UFC who can match him, even where he is now there aren't many people who size up to the challenge!

Fedor is regarded by most as the true best HW in the world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom