*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Soldato
do you guys think the IPS screen Chinese import tablets will be coming down in price then?

if the screen is as responsive as the ipad then il get one - the ipad screen for responsiveness is imo awesome

Soldato

to be honest i have a 7inch android tablet with USB OTG and its a pain in the arse. having a cable and usb drive dangling from one corner of a 7inch tablet completely ruins how you hold it (kind of a major thing for a 7inch tablet), get bumped on the train/shifting around in bed or the sofa, the micro usb usually falls out and you've lost your place in the film or your music cuts out etc. its actually pretty frustrating.

then you couple that with not having reliable coverage on the move in the uk so cloud systems are out of the question and i think the argument for a microsd slot is actually pretty valid.

personally im torn on whether to buy this or not. everything else is perfect.

Caporegime
This or a new graphics card????? For that price it's hard to say no, but I could do with an upgrade from my GTX 260. Decisions decisions.

I also need to upgrade my GPU :p :o still on a 4850 512MB :o But I don't play games much any more especially demanding ones so it is of the list for now.........

Soldato
Has this killed the MS Surface and other W8 Tablets? Possibly

Well I don't think it's killed the pro W8 surface as that is essentially in a market of its own and I can see the uses it has for anyone.

The normal ARM W8 tablet was never a competitor to anything imo and the ARM version of W8 is just a confusing mess.

Man of Honour
OP
Has this killed the MS Surface and other W8 Tablets? Possibly

I don't think so. It may dent the sales of the RT Surface tablet but the Pro one is above and beyond any other tablet as it's a 'proper' computer. It costs a lot though so probably won't be all that popular anyway.

Soldato
For some reason I'm not feeling the Nexus Tab. I don't know what it is....probably because I don't need one.

The Nexus Tab is very competitively priced and I'm glad that ASUS fitted a decent battery because the Tegra 3 is very power hungry. It'll be interesting to see how Tegra 3 runs vanilla Android running Jellybean.

The forthcoming Kindle and the well established Galaxy Tab (7.0) series will obviously be fighting for sales with the Nexus. Having owned the Galaxy Tab 7.0 for three months it was a joy to use but was surplus to my requirements hence I why I sold it.

If I was in the market for a tablet I would be tempted to buy the Nexus Tab, maybe I would've jumped at the chance if it had a S4 chip instead of the Tegra 3!

Nevertheless it's a admirable attempt by Google and Asus to corner the 7" tablet market.

Caporegime
I think it's also a case of having to differentiate the SKU's enough. If they were only £10 apart then people would probably think what the hell and go for the bigger one causing stock balancing issues.

I don't know really it sounds plausible.

Soldato
Wouldn't surprise me if they priced the 8gb at a slight loss for the 'WOW' pricing factor and overpriced the 16gb to try to even out the loss the 8gb version will make.

Both of them are at a great price imo.

Soldato
That makes more sense now - price the 8GB model as low as possible to drive impulse sales - make up the loss on the 16GB model.

Either way I'm not buying - but I can see the number of sales being significant. Best of all it's going to shake up tablet pricing.

Soldato
I'm firmly in the Apple ecosystem. Desktop = Mac, Laptop = OS X, iPhone and iPad etc. But at this price and size I'm seriously tempted where as never been interested in Android before. If I switched from iOS it would have been to WP7/8.

This looks like a fantastic device for media consumption and the 7" makes it that much more portable. Are there any videos demo'ing chrome and eBooks as that would be my primary use?

Soldato
Sorted.

nexus7.jpg

Even better that I've not got to pay for it :D

Back
Top Bottom