*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not really sure why anyone is finding this hard to follow. I don't see where I was being controversial.

Robbo, you seem to be a bit more with it than the average punter, why do people get so tetchy over this stuff?

People tend to get a little bit edgy when a person lays some praise on Apple, I'm not sure why, I find it easier to just appreciate both sets of hardware/software and buy what I fancy.

General opinion is that iOS is smoother and definitely more refined than Android in general. However the difference in smoothness between the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S for example would be very, very small and could tip either way depending on what you are doing.

It's something that Google are obviously aware of, hence why Project Butter exists.

Apple are inevitably going to have an easier time with this stuff, as they make the hardware and the software all in-house, Google and Samsung/HTC/etc don't.

Soldato
Hang on Hang on.

You - "Android isnt as smooth as IOS which is why they are making such a big deal about 4.1"

Me - "How can you say it isnt as smooth without trying 4.1"

You - "Havnt I"

Me - "Havnt you?"

You - "Hold on I thought you knew I havnt tried it"

Me - "I made a reasonable assumption"

You - "Oh hang on let me go back on what i just said for the past 3 posts because your right I havnt tried it..."

Am I missing something?

Because that's not what you said now, is it?

---Quote (Originally by Ol!ver)---
Oh, it really is. Google basically admitted it by making such a fuss over the new tech in 4.1.

And as you know, I've got a One X.
---End Quote---
But you haven't tried the new tech so how do you know it isn't as smooth now? ;/

I took that to mean I haven't tried the current crop of hardware. SGS3 etc. If I was misunderstanding you, then I apologise. I assumed we were all talking about current, shipping stuff otherwise we could go on forever comparing iOS 6 to 4.1 etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because that's not what you said now, is it?

I took that to mean I haven't tried the current crop of hardware. SGS3 etc. If I was misunderstanding you, then I apologise. I assumed we were all talking about current, shipping stuff.

By new tech I assumed you meant 4.1 Jelly Bean as you know.. it's kinda the 'new tech'.

Soldato
What is the reason Android sometimes still stutters on certain things like scrolling (even on the GS3) - whereas WP7 and iOS is soo smooth and stutter free.

SOMEBODY MUST KNOW THE TRUE ANSWER TO THIS!

Soldato
By new tech I assumed you meant 4.1 Jelly Bean as you know.. it's kinda the 'new tech'.

I did, yes. I was using the new additions to 4.1 to back up my claim that Google has added improvements because current shipping versions lack in fluidity :)

Either way, I think we both misunderstood each other at some point. :D

Caporegime
Really? It's par for the course on here these days. Too many people think they know everything inside and out and, presumably, know exactly what each device costs to make and how much it costs to ship.

Oh, and it's cool to go against the grain apparently. And common sense, too.

Hold your horses there! I hardly ever come in here, yet now I'm being bundled in with being 'par for the course'?

I stopped coming in here after the SGS2 vs Sensation days where you couldnt post a question about a Sensation without getting some snide comment about having bought the wrong phone. I was kinda hoping things had matured a bit.

Soldato
Hold on, I'm going to take a moment to decipher that and get back to you....

Right, let's take a look at this shall we?

I'm whining? When exactly did I whine? You offered an opinion, and I countered. So far we've had nothing but oddities from you since then. I ask you again, why can I not see the benefits of both platforms and like them for those benefits? Why must liking Android for, say, it's customisability mean that I cannot appreciate the way iOS handles itself? When did smartphones become a religious argument?

Why would I want rid of the One X? Why would I want rid of the iPhone, either? It's the same argument for having a PS3 and a 360. A pushbike and a car. I recognise their individual strengths and appreciate them accordingly.

Are we beginning to understand yet?

Not many carry and use two mobile phones but many play 360 and ps3.

You are whinning like a girl complaining how **** android is compared to a iphone and i replied saying nope, both i and robbo disagree. simple as that.

Soldato
Hold your horses there! I hardly ever come in here, yet now I'm being bundled in with being 'par for the course'?

I stopped coming in here after the SGS2 vs Sensation days where you couldnt post a question about a Sensation without getting some snide comment about having bought the wrong phone. I was kinda hoping things had matured a bit.

Not really sure why you thought I was having a go at you there....

Man of Honour
OP
Just take my posts as I write them, don't use me as some kind of stick to beat another member with please... :p

And all of you calm down, or I'll have to fetch the Palm Pre...! ;)

Soldato
For me personally my SII has been as fast as my 4s even on 2.3, the big problem with andorid was hardware accelration. SII had this in 2.3 and you could see the gaint difference compared to anything else. Now on 4.0.X it is the same as iPhone on any dual core phone tbh, maybe iOS has a very small advantage still but it would make almost no difference.

With 4.1 I think google is trying to be the fastest OS out there, if it runs constantly at 60FPS and predicts what you will touch then there is 0 Lag, 0 waiting nothing at all you cant really get any faster then that.

Soldato
It's not particularly the animations, but rather the perceived lag when tapping things. Flicking through lists, for example. It's apparently sorted in 4.1, and it is undoubtedly improved in 4.x compared to earlier releases.

I'm not really sure why anyone is finding this hard to follow. I don't see where I was being controversial.

Robbo, you seem to be a bit more with it than the average punter, why do people get so tetchy over this stuff?

EDIT: By the way, it's not like I'm an iPhone owner that simply thinks Apple owns all. Or an Android owner that wouldn't touch Apple with a barge pole. I just love new tech, simple.

Example: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01/14/fan-of-tech-not-just-apple/

What so its not animations? ist responsivenesS? now this is utter trolling/android hating now.

there is nothing wrong with the responsiveness. you are not being serious right? Maybe your One X is messed up. better get that sorted because even my htc dires, YES htc desire is very very responsive and easily on par with a iphone.

Why cant apple fanboys leave this thread instead of slating android?

Caporegime
I would really like one of these as I do not like my playbook at all.

However, the memory is so small. I am not up on these things, so is there a way of streaming music and videos from your PC to the device? I realise this is probably possible indoors, but is there a way to do it on a different network?

Soldato
For me personally my SII has been as fast as my 4s even on 2.3, the big problem with andorid was hardware accelration. SII had this in 2.3 and you could see the gaint difference compared to anything else. Now on 4.0.X it is the same as iPhone on any dual core phone tbh, maybe iOS has a very small advantage still but it would make almost no difference.

With 4.1 I think google is trying to be the fastest OS out there, if it runs constantly at 60FPS and predicts what you will touch then there is 0 Lag, 0 waiting nothing at all you cant really get any faster then that.

I'd be interested in hearing what people mean when they talk about the speed of devices. For me, I still find iOS devices react to screen interaction quicker than Android devices. The One X and GS3 are undoubtedly closer. I assume 4.1 will be even better, which is awesome.

Soldato
I was just genuinely interested because it sounded like Oliver had tried 4.1 and still found it to be nowhere near as smooth as IOS.

Turns out we just had our wires crossed apparently so I can still hope Jelly Bean has closed the gap and runs as smooth as IOS.

Either way im looking forward to getting my hands on one of these.

Soldato
Just take my posts as I write them, don't use me as some kind of stick to beat another member with please... :p

And all of you calm down, or I'll have to fetch the Palm Pre...! ;)

You see Oliver is just trolling, instead of expressing his android hating comments in a mature meaningful way, he goes and whines whines whines. But me and u however had teh exact same convo and guess what, no whining, no arguing. nothing.

u made your points, i made mind, end of teh story but this apple fan comes in here whining and moaning and crying on how android is inferior to apple.

Man of Honour
OP
You see Oliver is just trolling, instead of expressing his android hating comments in a mature meaningful way, he goes and whines whines whines. But me and u however had teh exact same convo and guess what, no whining, no arguing. nothing.

u made your points, i made mind, end of teh story but this apple fan comes in here whining and moaning and crying on how android is inferior to apple.

I don't think that was his intention, there's just a bit of confusion.

If he was an Apple fanboy I doubt he'd have a One X (and like it :p).

Back
Top Bottom