*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Associate
Finally picked mine up!

£15 voucher when i signed in and added a card, bonus. Thought i was too late for that.

Have to say though, i have no idea what im doing with it. Updated to 4.1.1, then had a look around and left it to finish charging.

How do i set the home screen? Every time i turn it on, it defaults to the free book and movie?

Associate
Just tried to run the OTA update on my Nexus 7, and it failed. My device is rooted which I guess is the reason why. I have Clockwork Recovery installed, so can I download the 4.1.2 update from somewhere, and then use Clockwork to install it manually??

Having it rooted won't be the reason it will have failed. As looking on the XDA Forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1928731

Those who have rooted and unlocked their device have had no issues. They do say they used CWM to install it. So give that a shot and see how you go.

Just looking at the last couple of pages of that thread (over 60 pages) and it seems some people have ran into issues. Think it's hit and miss whether or not you are rooted and unlocked.

Me, personally, I am in no hurry since Apex Launcher already allows me to use landscope at anytime I want. Wonder if it will resolve the low volume issue I have since had.

Actually I think OTA will fail if you have a custom bootloader e.g. CWM. You can still manually flash though.

Soldato
how would you reset a nexus 7? I'm on CM10 and I'm fine with that but I'm thinking of perhaps going back to completely stock, would a full reset do it?

What you want is the Google Nexus 7 Toolkit by Wugfresh.

It can download and install the stock ROM for you.

You can even go back to stock kernel or stick with the likes of CWM or TWRP and still keep it unlocked and rooted.

In other news, I downloaded the new update manually and installed it via TWRP recovery. Job done:

Screenshot_2012-10-12-20-55-33.png

Soldato
Got mine back a few weeks ago with a new screen and I have just plugged it into the charger and now I just have continous red/green/yellow lines flying across the screen.

Just going to take it back tomorrow and request to swap it over in store. It took them nearly 4 weeks to fix the screen and I am not waiting again.

:mad:

Caporegime
I had that when I completely flattened the battery. Leave it on charge for a bit, then hold the power key for a long time (30 second) and it should be fine.

Caporegime
I know I keep banging on about the poetic case :rolleyes:, but imo its the best looking/slimmest one. I have mine back up in Loughborough so when I finally get home this evening I'll check that out and give it a little review. Cover is "smart" style so it rolls to form a stand as well as waking the screen.

All of the above could end up being complete lies, but at least you'll know then :)

Some videos I've seen of it seem to show that when you fold it open the flap doesn't lie flat against the back. I'd be interested to see if its just people not folding it back properly or if it really is an issue.

I have the official case and its fine for keeping it safe and not adding bulk, but the flappy flap is starting to annoy me. Because the hinge is just bent silicone stuff it doesn't fold back and stay, it springs about, so you have to hold it flat against the back of the nexus.

kbc

kbc

Associate
I'm still on 4.1.1, I go System > About tablet > Systemupdates and it keeps saying mine is up to date on 4.1.1??

How come it's not showing an update for me?

Soldato
I'm getting a download error on Google play. Won't even update. Cleared cache and everything. Also no update from 4.1.1 for me either as yet. Don't know what else to do regarding Google Play?

Soldato
A trick to force the update:

1) Go into Settings > Apps > All Apps
2) Find 'Google Services Framework' and force stop it then clear the cache
3) Go check for an update

Do the above 3-4 times and you will get the update. I got mine on the 3rd round.

On a side note, have no clue what to spend my playstore credit on! I got tasker but that's it at the moment.

Soldato
I got the 4.1.2 update fine just now. But a server error on download I get from Google Play still persists. All my other Android Devices are working fine on Google Play. How odd. Ill wait and see if it continues. Have a nice day. Edit: Removed Google account and re-entered it.Google Play sorted. Odd but not surprising.

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking of getting this for the GF for Christmas she's been getting into downloading videos from iPlayer on her 4S and think she would like the larger screen to watch the shows on.

Do you think BBC will release the update before the end of the year so she could download the shows onto the Nexus?

Soldato
No OTA update but I'm rooted.

Will it OTA update or shall I just do a manual update?

Do you need to restore root and stock recovery to install the 4.1.2 update? Its downloading the OTA update but fails after rebooting.

OTA updates will not work if you're running custom bits and bobs. You will need to install manually. Just root should work but you will lose root.

I'm still on 4.1.1, I go System > About tablet > Systemupdates and it keeps saying mine is up to date on 4.1.1??

How come it's not showing an update for me?

The updates roll out in batches. You will get it eventually.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom