*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Associate
Really stumped as to whether I should get the 16gb or 32gb version. It's for Christmas so I can get the 32 version and get nothing else or the 16 version and get a couple of extra bits.

Got a 32gb iPad as well.

Any help? lol

Soldato
could someone recommend a decent case for sensible money please :)

cheers

A couple have been suggested already, and cases are of course quite a personal thing.

For anyone looking for a nice light, soft, fully but enclosed protective case, I can recommend the Mofi range from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261070129942

These cost under £10 with free delivery and there are also similar models for other tablets and mobile phones.

They do appear to be custom made for individual models though as the one for a Nexus 7 is noticeably different to the one for a Kindle Fire HD, for example.

Associate
Just flashed and rooted my new 32gb with the paranoid android rom. Wow much faster and much cleaner layout, love it.

Cant believe im actually liking this tablet more than my Apple Ipad 3 which got zero use at all!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just flashed and rooted my new 32gb with the paranoid android rom. Wow much faster and much cleaner layout, love it.

Cant believe im actually like this tablet more than my Apple Ipad 3 which got zero use at all!

Excuse my lack of knowledge, are there other ROMs that can be used? What does changing the ROMs allow you to do? I've spotted this and would like my first Android device so it's between this and the Kindle Fire HD.

Associate
Excuse my lack of knowledge, are there other ROMs that can be used? What does changing the ROMs allow you to do? I've spotted this and would like my first Android device so it's between this and the Kindle Fire HD.

Yes there are quite a few ROMs to choose from.

You may find that you like the nexus 7 as stock and thus not change anything, but i just cant help myself from tinkering and in my experience of putting custom Roms on my phones i find them to run better and add more features.

Theres loads of guides on the net and it isn't that hard to do if you take your time.

Soldato
yeah I went back to stock for a while to use 4.1.2 but I'm back on CM10 now, I just like the little tweaks like the battery percentage, reboot into recovery etc. Everything I've seen about the kindle fire makes it sound like buying an amazon advert.

Soldato
Everything I've seen about the kindle fire makes it sound like buying an amazon advert.

I think you are right there... it was not until until I started to use one that I realised jut how restricting that was.

No easy access to the Google Play store, no GPS and not (I didn't think) a very attractive or easy to use user interface.

Of course I could always 'root' it and install a custom ROM or whatever, but that then rather defeats the point in buying a Kindle in the first place!

Needless to say (despite the nice bright and vibrant screen) it is being returned, and is being replaced by a 32 GB Nexus 7, which is due to be delivered this morning! :)

Back
Top Bottom