**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Hearing comments like this draw me closer to the Pixel over any other offering at the moment. My last few phones have had woeful cameras (Nexus 5, LG G4) in terms of nailing focus and snapping moments. The things I will look most back on will be images and videos taken with the device over the next few years. I could save some money and get the OP5T but then will curse the moment it misses a group shot or my little one doing something funny. I hate it when get sent awful blurred noise ridden images from others of days out. I won't always have my RX100 with me or a Fuji setup so hoping to just bite the bullet this week and be done with it!

The XL2 screen issues are still at the back of my mind so still a toss up between that or the smaller one.

I've also got an RX 100 - I could do some comparison shots if you want?

The blue tint doesn't really bother me. Once I've had a chance, I'll upload the comparison shots of the G6 and XL 2 screens

Soldato
Still waiting for my phone from EE. Actually became one of those people who emailed the CEO with my long list of issues. He passed me over to the Exec Team who pretty much have done nothing lol. Offering me a month free ONCE I get my phone. Meh :(

Soldato
Having added my work Gmail apps account yesterday, I was presented with 'Work Mode'. Has anyone seen this before? It seems to be a separate set of apps that are linked to work. I don't have to give them access to my whole device now and can turn work mode off, stopping notifications and such from the work apps. Seems a good idea I guess, but still just trying to work it all out.

Also, that's more of a base Android question, do we have just an Android OS thread? Might be good for discussion upcoming version and new features etc?

Associate
Mine has shipped and will be arriving tomorrow from Mobiles.co.uk via DPD.

I may have mentioned previously but fortunately (in terms of my Pixel deal anyway) O2 and Vodafone are the only two providers worth a damn in Northern Ireland, EE and 3 may as well not exist. The good thing is both O2 and Vodafone are excellent here, never had any 4g issues on either network.

Mine is on the way! But, I have had a text saying my retail discount has been removed, when I was told it wouldn't be, as it is a percentage discount. So I'll be on the phone to them as soon as it arrives to discuss reinstating it, or I'll revert the upgrade with them, and take out a new one from mobiles.co.uk, which is 30% cheaper than what EE are offering! (sorta)
25GB EE Max for £67.99 with EE for the 128GB P2XL
25GB EE Max for £47.99 with mobiles.co.uk/EE and £25 up front for the 64GB P2XL

I don't really need the 128GB so dropping to 64GB will be fine with me, but I'll see if EE will at least match the mobiles.co.uk price to save me the hassle of porting my number away to another network and back again. If they won't come close I won't even open it, back it'll go!

Associate
Mine has shipped and will be arriving tomorrow from Mobiles.co.uk via DPD.

I may have mentioned previously but fortunately (in terms of my Pixel deal anyway) O2 and Vodafone are the only two providers worth a damn in Northern Ireland, EE and 3 may as well not exist. The good thing is both O2 and Vodafone are excellent here, never had any 4g issues on either network.

I see you from N.Ireland also! Have you had any Text's this morning regarding delivery and did you get a tracking number?

Soldato
I see you from N.Ireland also! Have you had any Text's this morning regarding delivery and did you get a tracking number?
Nope nothing yet today unfortunately. I am expecting another couple of parcels from a different courier today so I took the chance to work from home so I'd be in, the downside being that I have to go out on site tomorrow and the more the day goes on the more it looks like this phone is going to land tomorrow and I'll be nowhere near to get it! According to the tracking it left Birmingham this morning at 2am so I thought it was going to be on time, seemingly not though...

Associate
Nope nothing yet today unfortunately. I am expecting another couple of parcels from a different courier today so I took the chance to work from home so I'd be in, the downside being that I have to go out on site tomorrow and the more the day goes on the more it looks like this phone is going to land tomorrow and I'll be nowhere near to get it! According to the tracking it left Birmingham this morning at 2am so I thought it was going to be on time, seemingly not though...

Man that sucks! I never got an email with my tracking number so I ain't to hopeful but the tracking on the mobiles UK website mine was shipped yesterday. So I dunno what's going on.

Permabanned
OP
Walking around London today and otherwise pre-occupied with one thing or another, I did manage to see a few London buses that have been repainted white and blue completely,all advertising the Pixel phones.

Last year many billboards on bus stops and tubes showed the first Pixels but they seem to have taken it to a new level this year!

With Google breaking ground officially on their new headquarters building in London this week, I guess it is safe to assume you will see lots more ads around with their growing stable of hardware products.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/21/googl...nd-on-its-london-campus-headquarters-7097123/

Associate
Has any one come across a decent screen protector yet?

Not yet, and would love to hear either feed back of people who have already fitted them or recommendations.

This is exactly what I've been researching for the last hour or so and from what I've read it looks like I'll be going for a film one instead of an tempered glass for my Pixel 2.

Torn between the ones available from IQ Shield and Skinomi, they both look very similar if not the same manufacture with two brands. I have a case Spigen Thin Case on and I'm not sure if I should try the max coverage or the case friendly? Am I correct in thinking they're easy enough to remove and refit if required? If so I might order one of each and give the max a go first, then if I encounter any problems fit the case friendly one.

Has anyone had any experience of protectors from either of these two companies in the past, not specific to just Google Pixel 2's?

I did want to try a tempered glass one, but the film ones appear to get much better reviews and that's put me off them.

Associate
J&D screen protectors from the rainforest, feel nice, not stupid thin, but cut too large so overhangs the sides. Also makes the screen look wet, sparkles all over.

My phone has a dead pixel, though! :( Thought I had something trapped under the screen protector, so I peeled it off and it didn't go away. Gutted :(
Calling EE tomorrow for exchange...though if they say the ETA is gonna be a while I'll try Google direct.

I can't enjoy a device once I know it'll be going back, so I've not played with it much!

Associate
Walking around London today and otherwise pre-occupied with one thing or another, I did manage to see a few London buses that have been repainted white and blue completely,all advertising the Pixel phones.

Last year many billboards on bus stops and tubes showed the first Pixels but they seem to have taken it to a new level this year!

With Google breaking ground officially on their new headquarters building in London this week, I guess it is safe to assume you will see lots more ads around with their growing stable of hardware products.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/21/googl...nd-on-its-london-campus-headquarters-7097123/

You know someone is on the take from Google when they’re bus watching for Pixel adverts....

Associate
Has any one come across a decent screen protector yet?
I'm using the UltimateShield TGP. I'm on my second one as the first one fell off after a day, and the company sent me a replacement out. I have to say, the second one is much better than the first one I got. Seems to have stuck much better (adhesive on the sides, top and bottom only), no "dot matrix" visible, and very slight rainbow/oil slick which cannot be seen under normal use. Touch sensitivity is good too. Pretty happy with this one!

Soldato
Gotta say, having had my Pixel 2 for about 2 weeks now this is easily the best android phone I've owned.

I'm just loving using it. Nothing is a chore as it's so quick and I like all the stock apps (I used gboard on my old phone) so I've not had to fill it up with replacement apps.

Nice screen, the blue shift doesn't bother me and in fact I wish people would stop going on about it as it happens on other oled screens, perhaps to a lesser degree but it still happens).

Just use it, and enjoy it. Especially that camera!

Back
Top Bottom