**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Be careful ordering screen protectors for the XL 2 on Amazon - there are fake reviews already on some of them. This one for example has reviews that are all similarly worded and stating installation is easy, on a phone that hasn't been released yet :confused:

Google Pixel 2 XL Screen Protector, Vigeer [0.3mm, 2.5D] [Bubble-Free] [9H Hardness] [Easy Installation] [HD Clear] Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Google Pixel 2 XL

Permabanned
OP
Hah... I for one like reading your posts and the enthusiasm that goes into them. Yes sometimes it does read like a Google advert but like you say... They are quite a remarkable company that do rather interesting things!

Thanks.

I was interested in learning how Google uses its AI smarts and machine learning skills to create a stable video recording on Pixel 2s. Pixel 2s use both EIS and OIS.

From Engadget: "Google uses a "lookahead" filtering algorithm that pushes image frames into a deferred queue and uses machine learning to predict where you're likely to move the phone next. This corrects for a wider range of movement than OIS alone, and can counteract common video quirks like wobbling, rolling shutter (the distortion effect where parts of the frame appear to lag behind) or focus hunting. The algorithmic method even introduces virtual motion to mask wild variations in sharpness when you move the phone quickly."

Not flawless but extremely impressive:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/12/google-explains-the-pixel-2s-super-stable-video-recording/

Soldato
It's a long thread so forgive me if it has been discussed before. Cases for the 2 XL? There are 2 transparent ones on Amazon that say "super slim" (Spigen and LK) that I am looking at. The Spigen has cut outs for the side buttons where the LK covers the side buttons. Not sure which is a better option.

Also looking at the MNML and Peel cases which are super slim offering scratch protection but no real drop protection.

Thoughts?

Associate
I've not got the XL2, but having had the first XL previously and now a Pixel 2, I've stuck with either a Ringke Fusion or a Spigen case for both.

I'm currently sticking with a Ringke Fusion clear on the P2 and it's spot on... obviously YMMV with the XL2, but they'll likely be good choices either way.

Soldato
I'm not a fan of the clear cases, they show all the dust and dirt very easily.

But they do show off the phone. I have ordered a panda and most cases are black so it negates the choice of phone colour. If this is the most difficult decision in my life at the moment then I'm not doing too badly :p

Associate
I've gone for the Caseology [Vault Series] Slim Protective Shock Absorbing TPU Rugged Protection Textured Grip from the Rainforest for my XL. Looks similar to the Spigen offerings, and hopefully won't add too much additional bulk... Also, gone for the Ultimate shield TGP to protect the screen. It's one of the ones that has adhesive on the sides, top and bottom, so hopefully will stick OK.

Soldato

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I just got an email saying my black P2XL 64GB has shipped!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shipped: Nov 13
Delivery: Nov 14–16

Let the hype begin.

*please be good, please be good*

Soldato
Me too. Wasn't expecting it to ship early. Especially as Natwest flagged the transaction as fraudulent at 3am on Saturday morning (also waking me up!)

Soldato
Do we know if EE has the same release date on the XL as Google? Should I get excited that I may get it this week is what I'm asking :)

EDIT: Just seen the reply above. Good news! :D

Back
Top Bottom