*** The Official HTC One M8 Thread ***

Mobster
Soldato
More info is coming out about this phone everyday so I thought it would be good to make a thread in preparation of its arrival :).

Rumoured specs:

Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 CPU
4MP 'Ultrapixel' rear-camera and 2.1MP front-facing camera
5 inch 1080p display
2GB RAM
Android 4.4 KitKat

Leaked photos were recently posted here: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_m8_photos_leak-news-7140.php

The specs look very good, except that 4MP camera. They really need to up that to 8MP!

Official specs:

• Operating system - Android 4.4
  • Processor - Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 @ 2.3GHz
  • RAM - 2GB
  • Screen - 5in LCD, 1920x1080 resolution (441ppi)
  • Camera - 4.1UP and dedicated depth sensor rear, 5MP front
  • Storage - 16/32GB (microSD expandable by up to 128GB)
  • Connectivity - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX
  • Battery - 2600mAh
  • Dimensions/weight - 146x71x9.4mm/160g

Photos:

wWJnElL.jpg

P5APHsb.jpg

Xficnmf.jpg

UyW4bXa.jpg

http://www.htc.com/assets-desktop/images/about/newsroom/pr-2014-03-25.jpg

No hotlinked images, if you want to post them please rehost them on your own webspace. Thank you.

Video reviews:

MKBHD - first impressions:

DetroitBORG - unboxing and review:

Android Authority - review:

Last edited:
Caporegime
dont look at the MP!

for me it will be down to the battery and storage

32GB
3000mAh

those are my requirements and why i dont have a G2 already

oh, i forgot that HTC dont have RGB led anymore

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really sure if that spec bump would even be worth producing.

As for the '4MP' camera, it takes some rather excellent shots, but I do agree, a larger resolution is to be expected now.

Soldato
When would this be released though? I have a feeling Q2 would be too late for such a device, the HO was ahead in terms of raw specs when it was released, but using the same S800 as everyone else would make HTC one of the last to jump on the S800 boat. I know the S800 is a beast, but it seems boring that most flagship phones are using it :p.

That camera needs an improvement as well, the majority of HOs still suffer the purple tint problem when in very dark conditions. I'm happy with the qaulity on mine, but I feel it could do with a little more oomph.

And that fingerprint scanner on the back... the position in the leaked pictures seems a bit silly. Can't they place it where the HTC logo on the front is? Surely that would be a better location?

Soldato
big battery + silver/black versions + more pixels sorry but 8 is the lowest I'll ever go.. and it just looks like an updated ONE that's it! :) if they're sticking with the 4mpx camera no way am I getting it.. ONE's camera was a let down IMO.

Man of Honour
'Official' thread for a phone that doesnt exist. Can we not drop the meaningless 'official' from quite literally half the threads in this forum? Whats wrong with just having an M8 Thread? Why does it need to be official with 8 stars?

Anyway, promising news though I may skip this generation as I can't see it offering much over my One.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;25410950 said:
'Official' thread for a phone that doesnt exist. Can we not drop the meaningless 'official' from quite literally half the threads in this forum? Whats wrong with just having an M8 Thread? Why does it need to be official with 8 stars?

why do you feel the need to express that particular point in every thread? why not just leave it be? I mean you're the only one complaining about it for literally no reason.. whats up your bum fox? :o

Mobster
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;25410950 said:

Anyway, promising news though I may skip this generation as I can't see it offering much over my One.

Fair enough. Mods, can you please re-name this thread: 'HTC M8 Thread'?

Edit: Request sent to MODs.

Last edited:
Associate
MicroSD card slot is a must. I've been using the HO & I'm missing the expandable storage more & more as time passes. Also the UltraPixel camera is a bit of a let down to be honest.

Mobster
Soldato
OP
MicroSD card slot is a must. I've been using the HO & I'm missing the expandable storage more & more as time passes. Also the UltraPixel camera is a bit of a let down to be honest.

That's the thing that Samsung really have in their favour currently. I'm thinking a removable back (but not a removable battery) with a MicroSD, like on the Max.

I've just noticed a problem: releasing phones the early part of the year is a really bad idea! The newer, better CPUs, etc. always come out later, so these phones will always have 'bad' specs! The Note 3's release time is perfect, because all the new chips, etc. have come out when it is released.

Soldato
Camera software needs to be spot on as well. So many people are still plagued by the pink spot problem not to mention the failure of the flash to fire off first in complete darkness just to get a decent picture in low light conditions.

Also HTC need to sort out the QC with regards to build quality, I'm not talking about the "perceived" gap issues but the misaligned screen either being raised by a fraction of a mm at either the top or bottom.

Last edited:
Associate
Thoughts on power button? No matter how much I use the HTC One the power button never seems to come to hand. My preference would be on the side above volume rocker for HTC One M8? Apart from so so camera the power button has been my only annoyance. On the up side it has never turned on in my pocket :D

32gb of memory a minimum and if no memory card slot the option of 64gb. That said 32gb's is enough for me. Edge to edge screen keeping phone size to a minimum though as has been said the front speakers must stay. None removable battery is fine as long as a decent size, preferably a nice bit larger than the current HTC One. I know others have had build quality issues but mine has been good and hope the M8 is just as good.

Will I get one .... dunno :rolleyes: Probably not as long as my current 'One' does the job.

Soldato
http://www.androidcentral.com/first-htc-m8-photo-shows-dual-rear-cameras

Not sure how I feel about whatever the **** as that the top of that. Sense 5.5 actual looks really nice and includes things like white icons, transparent navigation (Looks better then stock) and overall looks pleasant and I am looking to maybe switch but if it turns out to have some weird finger print sensor or another random camera I'm not 100% sure.

Soldato
I dont get it, htc new phone is using specs from last years phones? Is this just a budget/sidegrade as surely this isnt going to be their new flagship?

Back
Top Bottom