*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Nexus!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it (deep behind enemy lines in the Apple forum :eek:):

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22758306&postcount=1101

:D Don't encourage him!!

Had a look myself at that thread and it very quickly by page 2, becomes very boring. Surprised Apple didn't do a little more and seem to have played it safe? Oh well :D

Nexus - got to say I really do miss the size of the One S. Signal issues for me have been a big disappointment. I might have said it was down to Three's signal but the One X fairs better and the old Moto Defy + has no issues at all. I do get on well with the One X though find it just clumsy to handle one handed against the One S. Also the One S just seems that little bit faster loading apps and doing things you do day to day. Guessing that is the S4 processor?

Given up hope of a big improvement from HTC for the One S. Liking the look and size of the yet to come Moto Razr M. Motorola generally good on the signal reception front too which may be a help to me. Shame we won't get the S4 cpu in the UK in the Razr M and wonder what the Intel one will be like? One last thing I will say is take either the One S or X to nearest city and both work very well with mostly full signal.

:D Don't encourage him!!

Had a look myself at that thread and it very quickly by page 2, becomes very boring. Surprised Apple didn't do a little more and seem to have played it safe? Oh well :D

Hehe!

To be fair to Apple, aside from NFC, and increasing the base storage size, what more could they have done really? They'll always play it safe, because at present they have a winning formula that people seem to love.

At the moment it's hard to say how much better it will be, the battery life/camera/video/etc all haven't been tested properly, so we'll see.

I updated the iPhone 5 thread with the new info (here) and I think they have actually improved a lot. Especially if the A6 chip is the A15, currently unconfirmed but quite likely.

The improvement is plenty good enough, just about on par with the Galaxy S2 > S3. The Sensation > One S jump is bigger, but that's because the Sensation is quite a bit worse to start with, so! :p

Also, I know this is a bit off-topic but this does seem to be a bit of a general chat thread so forgive me! :eek: :p

We're maybe drifting a little :eek: Screen size is subjective. I can see why apple would go for a slight lengthening of screen rather than an increase both ways. One S screen compared to One X is far more manageable to me and I have big hands though maybe not the most dexterous. One handed operation is far better on the S and I imagine on the iPhone 5 because you can reach quite comfortably with one hand. Use the One X two handed and it rocks :D I can use the X one handed but it's not half as easy and at far more danger of being dropped :eek:

NFC - is that really going to amount to anything? This swiping your phone over a reader to pay for goods is never going to be a starter surely? Phones are nicked on a daily basis and if all you have to do is wave it in front of a reader then can't see banks and such being right keen on that idea. There must be more security to it than that? Other than that NFC doesn't seem to have any deal breaking quantities?

Don't get me going on the 4G capabilities - I'd settle for good 3G coverage :rolleyes:

End of the day I expect the iPhone 5 will easy outsell the One X and S ... the Apple fans just don't know what they are missing :D

The One X is fiddly to use in one hand, no doubt about that. Mainly because it's slippery though, more than the size.

I think NFC will be more useful for things like transport (such as an Oyster card replacement). At the moment the development of NFC is a bit 'meh' as nobody is really pushing it. Apple would have done this, which in turn would have benefitted Google.

Is it right we cant use these on the new Everything everywhere 4g network?

Wish id known before buying:(

I expect you can - just not at 4G? Going to be some time before it's rolled out something like nationally but depends on if you live in one of the selected EE cities?

The One X is fiddly to use in one hand, no doubt about that. Mainly because it's slippery though, more than the size.

Yes true and ditto the S from that point of view though maybe not as bad as the X. I attach one of those skins which makes it better to grip but adds to the bulk in my pocket :rolleyes:

A customer at work has a One S .... its so... nice to hold compared to the galaxy S3! :(

Help!

Oh dear..........:o

:p

You know what to do mike! Oh wait, maybe not.............. :p

@Richy

You know what to do, move to a different network where you get very strong signal and keep the one S, problem solved :p

Probably, I think he really likes android though, it is just the size and the screen, which seem to be the main things that are important to him i.e. loves the GS 3 but doesn't like the size and feel of it and iirc isn't keen on touchwiz? Loves the one S size and feel but doesn't like the screen as much as the GS 3 and prefers sense still I think? And of course along with the battery life, performance etc. factors being important, just not as much as the other factors.

Hopefully the nexus will tick all boxes, but be smaller than the GS 3 and one X, however, have a bigger screen at the same time than the S :p

Posted this in the proper cat thread in GD, but I'll post here as well anyway since this thread is for all kinds of discussions :p

Quick video of Sprite playing with a shoelace and getting bored after a minute :p

TC sleeping on the top step:

pXkOp.jpg
Bit blurry these next two:

M1Lms.jpg
Gz6al.jpg

I appear to have fixed my battery problems by disabling 'best wi-fi performance'. No idea why having that turned on was stopping my phone going to sleep, but it was.

Nexus you should post resized pics as well :p

Yeah best wifi performance rapes my battery as well, don't really notice much difference with it turned on/off though when it comes to browsing, streaming youtube videos etc. (maybe things are a bit snappier, but it isn't worth the extra drain) but if streaming 720P MkV's it makes a difference, although BS player has the option built in now so I just use it :p

Have you gone through your apps, which you recently installed since the problem appeared? Maybe an app is hogging the connection?

And yes, I really should resize them but then they don't look as awesome and you don't get all the glorious detail :p

@Mike

Yes! You be stupid to move to another android phone now with the nexus(s) coming out in November unless money isn't an issue for you :p

And you most definitely would be stupid getting the X now as the XL is going to be coming over here iirc :p

Yeah best wifi performance rapes my battery as well, don't really notice much difference with it turned on/off though when it comes to browsing, streaming youtube videos etc. (maybe things are a bit snappier, but it isn't worth the extra drain) but if streaming 720P MkV's it makes a difference, although BS player has the option built in now so I just use it :p

Have you gone through your apps, which you recently installed since the problem appeared? Maybe an app is hogging the connection?

And yes, I really should resize them but then they don't look as awesome and you don't get all the glorious detail :p

But I've had best wifi performance on for ages so it can't be that. And I never noticed much difference with it turned on in battery or performance.

Gone through apps, nothing I can think of there.

Post both!

@mike

Yes! You be stupid to move to another android phone now with the nexus(s) coming out in November unless money isn't an issue for you :p

And you most definitely would be stupid getting the X now as the XL is going to be coming over here iirc :p

From reading matey - the XL has the nice screen and better cpu? :D

But I've had best wifi performance on for ages so it can't be that. And I never noticed much difference with it turned on in battery or performance.

Gone through apps, nothing I can think of there.

Post both!

Hmm strange :confused:

Might have to give it another go then and see how my battery gets on.

Had a quick search on google and came across this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1697899

From the op his alarm manager has a count of 743. Not sure if that could be attributing. If you believe wifi has something to do with it make sure you uncheck "best wifi performance" or whatever it is called under advanced wifi settings as that has caused wake locks on previous htc devices including the og evo.

We have a winner! This is definitely what was causing the problem. I deselected this option and the suspend_backoff item stopped growing. I left it deselected for a couple of hours just to make sure. As soon as I re-enabled it, the suspend_backoff quantity started climbing again. Thank you very much for your help and thanks for everyone else who shared their ideas. I truly love this place.

Also Iirc you have a battery meter thing in your status bar? Remove that for the time being as well. I never use them myself as in the past I have always had problems with them draining battery life. Plus in that thread a few people mentioned about the guy removing his battery meter widget as well.

Are you 100% sure it is disabled and not enabling itself again? Anything else that could be causing wifi to perform at its best?

what about syncing stuff? What do you have and how often does it sync?

Seems a bit pointless posting the 2 same photos but different sizes, does it not? :p :D

From reading matey - the XL has the nice screen and better cpu? :D

Yup :D

The S4 chip with the awesome 720P 4.7" screen of the X, same body as the X as well.

Last edited:
It certainly is annoying that :mad:

The only thing that I would suggest (would do this myself) is a factory reset. Or what you could do, is get the log of your usage and post it on the better battery stats thread on XDA to see if anyone can identify the drainage problem or possibly here if people know what to look for in the log.

Back
Top Bottom