*** The official HTC One S thread ***

I'm brave I installed it straight away :p

Er, so what does that do then?

Just installed the sim update, not noticed anything that has changed.

Just installed the sim update too... Can't see anything obvious.

It's a change to the wizard that runs when you change sims.
You will only see a change if you take your sim out and put a different one in. Told you it was a rubbish update :(

On a positive note the major update is great! I get better signals, wifi and mobile and the browser definitely seems to render pages faster. 2.31.401.5 here.

Last edited:
id just like to know how people get the 5 hours of screen time on.

Im lucky if i get 2 hours screen and phone on from 6am to 6pm.....

Ive even run it with it just 2g on and wifi, gps,data all off. Still cant touch it.

id just like to know how people get the 5 hours of screen time on.

Im lucky if i get 2 hours screen and phone on from 6am to 6pm.....

Ive even run it with it just 2g on and wifi, gps,data all off. Still cant touch it.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22185648&postcount=1108

Need to tell us your usage, screen brightness etc. and also install better battery stats to see what is consuming your battery life.

Also check your accounts and syncing, disable anything you don't need.

What is your signal like?

Speaking of which, my battery life appears to be good again since the update :D Usage was much heavier i.e. well over a hour of browsing (had multiple browsers installed trying them out and uninstalled the ones I wasn't as fussed on, hence why only quick ics browser is showing :p), pulse, flipboard and IMDB news browsing, camera, installing/updating apps, quick go on some games etc. manual control of brightness and wifi on for most of the time:

2q9iW.png l5DIp.png Q4Yzh.png 0qzZ6.png LePAL.png
Suspend backoff isn't even listed there. *touch wood* it stays like this!

This update has really improved the phone even more, multi-tasking is definitely better and the front camera quality has also improved (will try to get some pics later) I honestly would say overall it is pretty much perfect now and has reduced the chances of me moving to one of the new nexus devices, unless.............. the one X5 rumour is true :D :p

You're not the only one Gavin. I rarely get over 3hrs screen time, although I've out that down to my signal at work being dire (I move about the office constantly and a number of rooms have zero signal). It's odd.

Maybe I should try a browser other than Chrome? Browsing probably uses a lot of my battery.

Edit: What's this suspend backoff and where do I find it in BBS?

Last edited:
Right...the saga has concluded.

HTC provided a letter, and phone support to contend the retailer in that the device was not fit for purpose.

The retailer agreed to review and have just replaced my One S for a brand new One X for £28 surcharge. I have to say I'm happy now (given the One X is the higher value handset), but what an ordeal!!!

HTC were on the phone with the retailer and with me and have confirmed the serial numbers and IMEI match up to their records and they will support the phone and me as a customer until July 2014.

Currently holding the One X, nice phone.. :)

I hope this doesn't mean I'm no longer allowed in this thread ;)

I just want to say thank you to all here who have advised and supported me during this drama, we got there in the end and i appreciate all the help :)

Yeah browsing is the biggest killer for SAMOLED phones and is the main thing that consumes most of my battery.

IIRC fluttershy said it is something to do with WIFI, no idea what exactly though, it should show under "kernel wakelock".

Right...the saga has concluded.

HTC provided a letter, and phone support to contend the retailer in that the device was not fit for purpose.

The retailer agreed to review and have just replaced my One S for a brand new One X for £28 surcharge. I have to say I'm happy now (given the One X is the higher value handset), but what an ordeal!!!

HTC were on the phone with the retailer and with me and have confirmed the serial numbers and IMEI match up to their records and they will support the phone and me as a customer until July 2014.

Currently holding the One X, nice phone.. :)

I hope this doesn't mean I'm no longer allowed in this thread ;)

I just want to say thank you to all here who have advised and supported me during this drama, we got there in the end and i appreciate all the help :)

Wow! :eek: Great outcome in the end and certainly well worth pursuing! Thumbs up to HTC and the retailer for sorting that out :cool:

Who was the retailer?

Right so, here's some more battery stuff. Disregard time and percentages, it's been on and off charge multiple times.

Normal wakelock screen: -------------------------------------------------------Raw wakelocks (noooo suspend_backoff :()
2012-09-26_16-26-20.png
2012-09-26_16-27-55.png

2012-09-26_16-28-28.png
2012-09-26_16-28-20.png

2012-09-26_16-29-44.png

Battery definitely isn't draining as much as it was before. But it is waking up occasionally.

CPU states are
384MHZ - 10h 8m

Deep sleep - 1d 9h

So i don't think there is anything to worry about.

Last edited:
Wow! :eek: Great outcome in the end and certainly well worth pursuing! Thumbs up to HTC and the retailer for sorting that out :cool:

Who was the retailer?

I know... great screen...and no tint!!

CeX was the retailer, the phone was indeed "new" according to HTC it hasn't been registered to anyone other than Carphone Warehouse so they will support.

Ah right. I'll check it out.

Also for those using Apex do you have 'Keep in Memory' checked? I do, but was just wondering if that could cause any extra battery drain :confused:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22185648&postcount=1108

Need to tell us your usage, screen brightness etc. and also install better battery stats to see what is consuming your battery life.

Also check your accounts and syncing, disable anything you don't need.

What is your signal like?

speaking of which, my battery life appears to be good again since the update :D Usage was much heavier i.e. well over a hour of browsing (had multiple browsers installed trying them out and uninstalled the ones I wasn't as fussed on, hence why only quick ics browser is showing :p), pulse, flipboard and IMDB news browsing, camera, installing/updating apps, quick go on some games etc. manual control of brightness and wifi on for most of the time:

2q9iW.png l5DIp.png Q4Yzh.png 0qzZ6.png LePAL.png
Suspend backoff isn't even listed there. *touch wood* it stays like this!

This update has really improved the phone even more, multi-tasking is definitely better and the front camera quality has also improved (will try to get some pics later) I honestly would say overall it is pretty much perfect now and has reduced the chances of me moving to one of the new nexus devices, unless.............. the one X5 rumour is true :D :p

I can get nothing like that although i notice you dont have voice calls up there.

Phones been on from full charge for 5 hours.

Signal is always good.

3g and data disabled most of the day when i have wifi

screen on for 1 hour
voice calls 30 mins

And im at 45%

What stats is it you actually want from better battery stats i have it installed so can take some shots....

I just dont know how people get stats like that...................:(

Last edited:
Yup, I hardly ever ring/receive calls :p :o Only ever on the mobile for like a max of 5-15 minutes each day if even that, use text/whatsapp etc. mostly :p

Regarding better battery stats screenshots, the kernel and partial wakelocks and process plus this:

http://i.imgur.com/2q9iW.png

Take them when you hit 15% or less battery though.

What about your screen brightness?

2 days and 20 minutes since I've charged my phone, and 33 percent left in the battery. I have left wifi on all night and mobile data all day with light medium usage. Damn, coming from a iPhone 4S, I'm really impressed.

Screen brightness? Usage?

With my sort of usage spread across 2 days I can get over 3 hours on screen time, best I have got for that sort of time:

This time I adjusted brightness via qbright when necessary so brightness was set to either 0% (at night and first thing in the morning, so probably about 30 minutes in total for each day then), 30% brightness (during the day indoors, so most of the day) and then 50 or 70% when outdoors (about 15-20 minutes each day, maybe).

Usage was much of the same (good bit of browsing, phone calls, texts, whatsapp, a lot of messing around with apps, youtube as well as the usual syncing for weather apps etc.) except this time a fair amount of files/photos/1080P videos transfer via estrongs and wifi transfer with wifi max performance enabled during these transfers and quite a lot of speedtests via wifi along with a bit of GPS usage in google maps and whilst in the speedtest app. Had H connection for a bit when browsing and camera (photos plus 1080P recording) usage as well as about 30 minutes in total of TV catchup etc.

TrrZM.png asik1.png sg7fi.png

BTW wifi and mobile data actually turn off from midnight onwards to 7am and turn on again, if you unlock your mobile during that time, they will re-enable for 15 minutes. I was wondering why my wifi kept disconnecting after midnight until Sarge told me it was a power saving feature, which you don't have a choice of turning on/off :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom