*** The official HTC One S thread ***

I was thinking that £350 from cpw is a pretty cracking deal, no? And what's this about a revised One S? I know there's the One XL but haven't heard anything else..?

Lol, everyone's case arrived today! :D

*high five*

:p

Great review Nexus - very thorough! :D

It's a smart case isn't it; much nicer than any other TPU case I've seen. It didn't feel slippery to me though. I have that same rough edge/bit too - part of the manufacturing process no doubt - still should have been smoothed off though. All in all a super case for £8 as you said. :)

Thanks very much :)

It certainly is :cool:

For me even if my hands are as sticky as anything, it still isn't grippy, I must have weird skin! :p :o

Ah, good to hear I didn't get a bad one then :) Not too bothered by it tbph, as I will never look there again and I never feel it so :p

Yup, that is me done with cases now :D :p

I was thinking that £350 from cpw is a pretty cracking deal, no? And what's this about a revised One S? I know there's the One XL but haven't heard anything else..?

IMO it is. The only phones that are worth waiting for (which we know are definitely coming) are one of the next nexus phones, all Samsung will be bringing is probably just the note 2 and HTC this new XXL (think this is just a rumour still though), but it will probably cost £500 no doubt.

I have no idea, not seen any rumours about it myself, only the XXL........

We need links Sarge!!!! :p

Last edited:
Yeah, and all those new phones are going to be as big as the One X if not bigger, right? That's just too big for me tbh! Doesn't seem to be anything coming out that's a similar size of the one s?

Yup, spot on!

Maybe one of the nexus devices will be similar to the S for size, no way of knowing till we get more info. though:(

Samsung generally don't do good mid-range smartphones and any of their phones, which aren't flagship devices i.e. GS, GS 2 and GS 3 etc. are generally pretty rubbish, they seem to only concentrate on flagship devices the most especially when it comes to updates etc.

Nice write up on the Diztronic Nexus. Certainly worth considering.

My cheapo S-Line gel case turned up today. I have to say, for 1.79, there is not much to grumble at. The power and volume buttons now require a firmer touch, but it does give good protection to the phone. There is also enough of a lip on the front to hide all of the screen protector edges, except for at the top.

On another note, my battery life was poor yesterday.
It seems that after I did the sotware update, the screen brightness moved to 100%. I just failed to notice it. I have found around 60% to be comfortable.

I updated the other halfs phone, and this did not occur. Prob cause she had auto brightness set.

Should go for the diztronic, it is well worth the £8 :)

Hmm, haven't read about that problem before, better battery stats is a good app to see what exactly is consuming battery life and by how much, always nice to have in case your battery does take a massive hit and you aren't sure as to what caused it.

60% :eek: Indoors? Way too bright for me :p

I have qbright installed and 4 choices:

low light - 0%, at night and morning when in bed I use this

indoors - 30%, when I am indoors obviously :p

outdoors - 50% although even at 30% brightness the screen is still very easy to make out, so only use this when the conditions are "brightish"

sunshine - 70% only when it is very very sunny, which in NI, is only like 3 weeks of the entire year, if even that :p :o

LOL.

I have not had the phone a week yet.:D
Still finding whats right for me. Now I have it in a case it will get some proper use. :p

I will have a look at the qbright app. Sounds worthwhile.

:p :D

It most certainly is :)

If you are using a 3rd party launcher like apex or nova then you can assign a gesture so that when you swipe up/down with one finger or 2 fingers etc. on your homescreen it will launch the app:

kaOcS.jpg.png

Pfffffft!

At the minute I have these gestures on nova:

1 finger swipe down - wifi settings
1 finger swipe up - unified remote
2 finger swipe down - oi safe

pinch out - nova settings (would have this as double tap, but I have no screen space left so :p)
pinch in - screen previews

dock gestures:

Dialer app - gesture is contacts/people
SMS app - gesture is whatsapp
app drawer - gesture is gallery

And then the home button will return me to the default homescreen and if I am already on the homescreen, the camera will be launched

Indeed! :p :D

I was never was a huge fan of gestures before nova/apex though, I would set them all up but just end going through the app drawer etc. as usual :p :o

Newb! :p

Been using them since LP on my Desire - gesture's are a must - WP7 & iOS have nothing on Android :D

Edit - I'll annotate my home screen to show you my shortcut's when I'm bored :)

Last edited:
:p :o

I must say I did quite like the LPP gestures for the pop ups of bookmarks, messages etc. such a shame that the developer has essentially done a "runner".

Even without gestures they have nothing on android anyway :p :D

*dons flame proof suit*

Nice, look forward to seeing your setup :)

Everyone's setup is essentially the same as mrk's now :p

Well after a stressful week I've finally caved and bought my One S. Mixed emotions as it's been incredibly hard figuring out what to do for the best financially (long story and not as serious as it sounds - I was trying to get a new credit card but failing haha!). To top it off when I finally took the plunge at CPW my credit card was rejected because the purchase was out of the ordinary (and the CPW website didn't ask for my securecode). Cue a loooong phonecall to HSBC, then back to CPW... argh why are these things so difficult!!

I'm now convinced I'm going to have chipping and signal issues.. either that or my handset will be network locked or something else daft (maybe I'll get two..) :( We shall find out on Monday!

I've also just realised my current Tmobile SIM card is normal sized and won't fit in the One S. Was planning on using that until my contract ends in a couple of weeks. Do you think I could persuade CPW to cut my SIM for me when I pick up the phone?

Er, someone please persuade me I've done the right thing because at the moment it feels like it would have been easier to stick with TMobile's crummy offer :p

On top of that I've now got to go to work on a Friday night. Argh nightshifts!!

/rant :p

If you do encounter any issues, you can return it and get your money back and either try another S or if you can, pay the extra for the X or GS 3 if they appeal to you that is :)

I think you have made the right choice ;)

- good bit cheaper than both the GS 3 and X, however, it is a flagship device as well
- great audio
- lovely build/design/size
- sense is a nice skin and has some great features/tweaks, runs faster/smoother than on the X
- awesome CPU, not just for performance but also for power efficiency and heat
- amazing battery life
- IMO a great screen, just not as sharp or large as the GS 3 and X
- good wifi speeds/signal strength
- superb camera for quality and combined with a lovely UI and a vast selection of features/effects, it makes photography enjoyable

That help? :p

Regarding the SIM, yeah I think they could do it for you, or they can just give you a new micro SIM (or maybe a T-mobile shop could do it if they don't) or you could just buy a micro sim cutter from ebay for a few pounds.

Also, I highly recommend the diztronic matte TPU case for £8 from ebay, it is superb, it covers all edges so there should be no problems with chipping and if there is at least it will be hidden :p, of course you don't have to get a case if you don't have any chipping issues, but just in case you did experience the chipping issue it is a good alternative.

Thanks that does help :D. Part of the reason I was getting so stressed was because I wanted to buy it specifically from cpw - easier in case I had any problems! And I couldn't tell how long their payg deal was going to last!

I heard TMobile charge a tenner to cut the sim card. I think considering I'm leaving them I'd have more chance trying to persuade cpw to do it for free? :p

Thanks for the case recommendation I will check it out!

What did you pay for it and why did you get it in the end? Was it just that you felt 4.7/4.8" was too big?

What phone do you have at the moment? That's what will decide whether it's ultimately worth it or not.

If you have the chipping issues, it's faulty. Do not stand for it. You shouldn't be forced to use a case, especially when a phone feels as nice as the One S does. There's no way in hell I'd use one. ;)

If it's the Desire then it's well worth it. My uncle has one and was showing me something on it the other day and it was just awful. I was mocking him while things were loading. :p

Back
Top Bottom