*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Hmm I've got 5 homescreens. Still playing about really. I did try nova but prefer apex. Maybe it's just the transition. I'll try without. It's not that it's laggy, maybe I just thought things would be quicker (than possible) :P

How do I disable apps?

I think there's something up with the benchmark there though, there's just no way the S3 would come in level with a Tegra 3 in any sort of fair test.

Nice sig! :p

Hmm I've got 5 homescreens. Still playing about really. I did try nova but prefer apex. Maybe it's just the transition. I'll try without. It's not that it's laggy, maybe I just thought things would be quicker (than possible) :P

How do I disable apps?

You can change the speed of the animation to make it quicker :p

Also I am now using 0.5x animation speeds, so animations etc. are a bit quicker but still noticeable, mobile feels even quicker then :cool:

Setting>apps>all>click on app you want to disable>top right corner, click "disable"

Works for the majority of stuff, however, things like sense launcher and maps (HTC app), browser can't be disabled.

Not my fault the SGS3 can't handle all those extra polygons

AeZky.jpg

:p

Done :p :D

*looks at sarge's new sig*

M7RG1.gif

Done :p :D

*looks at sarge's new sig*

:cool: :D

I think there's something up with the benchmark there though, there's just no way the S3 would come in level with a Tegra 3 in any sort of fair test.

Polygon count has always been a major flaw in Mali 400 architecture, it doesn't have enough vertex processing hardware. The MP4 has 4 pixel shader cores but still only 1 vertex shader core, like all the other Mali GPUs (Midgard/T604 moves to unified cores)
It doesn't show up on basic 3D benchmarks and has less impact with off screen rendering. Briefly explained here > http://www.anandtech.com/show/6121/glbenchmark-25-performance/2

..but it's more than enough for current Android gaming, even though the S4 One S is the fastest phone in the UK! :p

After having a a bit more thought about it, I am in no rush (still have 30days) to get the OneS sorted, so going to give it a punt at getting it swapped for a 560e variant afetr checking out those benchmarks

After having a a bit more thought about it, I am in no rush (still have 30days) to get the OneS sorted, so going to give it a punt at getting it swapped for a 560e variant afetr checking out those benchmarks

Generally you shouldn't pay too much attention to benchmarks, well, that's what I'd normally say anyway.

However, in this case you should get it swapped because it:

• Makes the phone feel faster and smoother
  • Increases battery life by a considerable margin
  • Means that it's far more futureproof

Without the S4, the One S really isn't anything particularly special.

Last edited:
Without the S4, the One S really isn't anything particularly special.

No way man! The S4 is the icing on the cake! You get the best design around (119g and a metal body, only the iPhone could improve it) a fantastic camera and very usable screen (brighter with better colours than the SGS3/GN)

Definately try for a 520e though (the s4 version) but the S3 is still decent enough now it's got good drivers and fast memory (early Sensation/touchpad results have it a bad name)

As stated above! :p

In some ways that is like saying take away the 720P res on the GS 3 and X and there isn't really anything particularly special about them (more so for the X) :p :D

PS you forgot about the awesome audio Sarge! :p

Last edited:
Looking at getting one of these, not really keen on any of these redemption deals (mainly because of the hassle). Probably gonna go with a refurb on amazon at £276 with the giffgaff sim, which works out at 21.50 a month? Seems to be the best deal I can find.

My question is, anything I need to look out for with refurbs or are they all the same model?

No way man! The S4 is the icing on the cake! You get the best design around (119g and a metal body, only the iPhone could improve it) a fantastic camera and very usable screen (brighter with better colours than the SGS3/GN)

Definately try for a 520e though (the s4 version) but the S3 is still decent enough now it's got good drivers and fast memory (early Sensation/touchpad results have it a bad name)

As stated above! :p

In some ways that is like saying take away the 720P res on the GS 3 and X and there isn't really anything particularly special about them (more so for the X) :p :D

PS you forgot about the awesome audio Sarge! :p

I disagree really. I think without the S4 it wouldn't be anything particularly special.

The screen isn't good enough (this doesn't mean it isn't good, just that it's the main feature and it's notably worse), the storage is on the low side, the camera is fantastic on the S3 and X too, and the video recording on the S3 wipes the floor with both HTC phones.

I doubt there's much in the audio between them as well (even the X is very good here).

Also remember that without the S4 the battery life would take a hit, likely putting that below the GS3, then you're just left with the design and HTC Sense, both of which are personal taste though I do prefer the One S design, but I'm not too worried about it as the rest of the S3 is so good.

Anyway, I'm bored of talking about this as opinions are obviously going to differ a bit. I have no interest in a huge discussion spanning millions of words about it. :p

I've found the whole One S and One X thing very annoying, as HTC have effectively made one amazing phone, then split it in half and gimped both of them. Why not just have one awesome phone. Why. :mad:

One last thing, don't take the above as any sort of attack on the phone. I think the One S is excellent and three people I know have already bought one on my recommendation (they all had iPhones too).

I'm just angry with HTC for doing a questionable job of picking what hardware to use. Fools.

The One S is pap - I ditched the phone and kept the TM sim :D

It now lives in here:

b6be89c4.png

HOS IS GREAT BTW :)

Last edited:
It now lives in here:

Awesome, I'm up to 4000kbps on talkmobile now :cool: Are you still hitting those ridiculous speeds with that Huawei?

I'm just angry with HTC for doing a questionable job of picking what hardware to use. Fools.

Yep, something like the EVO 4G LTE should've been the global flagship (using S4 stock from the One S) I would've spent £££ on that, the One S was only a impulse buy due to that stonking deal.

...but I'd be more than happy enough using it for a few years if I didn't want more storage.

Hang on a sec, so did I want a 520e dual core or 560e dual core ?

I think the quad is pretty much no chance, but I was returning (sorted btw) to get the better?? new 560e :confused:

Your after the older 520e model (before they ran out of stock due to global demand. We get the short end as there's no LTE availability here, something the S4 was designed for)

Back
Top Bottom