*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Hmm, not too sure tbh. I would imagine that everything should be covered/paid for since you bought an item under false advertisement.

Maybe try getting in direct contact with the company/seller?

Must say, seeing all these recent reports of people getting the S3 version is making me consider using the diztronic case again, worried that if I drop mine and the screen cracks/phone breaks, I will have to send it off and possibly not get the S4 version again :(

I'm due to receive my One S (black) on Tuesday/Wednesday this week from mobiles.co.uk/T-Mobile.

My questions are:

1) Is the best way to check hardware the apps mentioned in this thread? i.e. S3 vs S4
2) Should I care? - The reason I'm saying that is because I'm going from a Blackberry Bold 9780 to this, and it will be used for information and media rather than games (well, Angry Birds might feature!). If it turns out to be an S3 then, given my intended use, should I bother kicking up a fuss and seeking a replacement? Or will either blow me away regardless?

Check the CPU using quadrant standard benchmark app, the S4 is 1.5GHz and has an adreno 225 GPU and the S3 is 1.7GHz and has an adreno 220 GPU, you want the S4 version ;)

Well, either will blow you away regardless of the CPU/GPU, however, the S4 really is something special, better than the quad in the GS 3 and X and it does give the mobile a more snappy/instant feel and overall just faster. I can't comment personally on the S3 version, I imagine that it will still be quick in general usage like browsing, few games etc.

Essentially the biggest difference will be battery life as the S4 is extremely power efficient and the S3 has also been overclocked so obviously it will drain the battery even quicker :p Again though I can't say how much of a difference there will be as I haven't seen exact figures yet.

It also comes down to the price you paid as if you paid a fair bit then you will want to get the best one (personally would not pay £370 for the S3 version, would only pay £300) and the chipset will also affect the price of the handset when/if you sell it in the future.

And lastly the S4 is more future proof.

Last edited:
No problem :)

Yup, it won't do any harm to send them an email or give them a call if you do receive the S3 version and just explain to them that the S4 chip was one of the main reasons why you decided to get the S as it impacts speed/smoothness and battery life etc. and that it is the best for these areas as well as not being happy considering that you paid the same price as the much better version along with the usual false advertisement of specs. etc. etc. etc. :p

Last edited:
I've checked for the update on my bro's HOS - nothing soo far...any news Nexus?

In other news I'm sorely temped at a Hitachi 4TB Touro Desk Pro USB 3.0 Hard Drive. It will give me peace of mind until I need mwoar! :D

No idea at all :(

And no idea how that guy got the update in the UK (network locked to o2) without unlocking the bootloader etc. must have been telling a white lie or it was indeed an old update :p

I don't think it should be too long though as it has been confirmed that the AT&T X has been getting the update rolled out OTA for the last week now and then all the news sites are saying that the international X and S will soon get the update. Maybe another week? :p

More space? :eek:

That is a damn nice price, however, it is Hitachi :eek: :p Only Samsung or WD for me when it comes to hard drives :p

What do you guys think of these battery stats? I can't say I'm overly impressed. Needs some fine-tuning. What does everyone have their screen brightness on? I'm on 24% but any lower and it looks drastically worse?

2012-08-06_22-13-10.png
2012-08-06_22-13-19.png
2012-08-06_22-13-28.png
2012-08-06_22-13-38.png

Wifi on at home and at work all day, turned off when commuting or not available. :confused:

Last edited:
No, that battery life is a bit below average really. Unless all of your use was browsing/games in which case it's probably okay.

Not that great :( Really need to know your sort of usage though? Browsing time? Phone calls, texts? Facebook, weather syncing? time spent playing games?

Your wifi signal looks very weak and that wouldn't help at all. Install network signal info. to get an exact reading of the strength.

Also is that a task killer in the top left of the notification bar?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad:

:p

If it is, uninstall straight away, that will harm battery life a lot!

As for brightness, I control mine manually via qbright, indoors I have it set to 30%, at night time and first thing in the morning when lying in bed and quickly checking emails etc. out it is set to 0% and when outside, most of the time I can get away with 30%, but if it is a bit bright then 50% and in extreme sun shine it is 70%.

Make sure you have wifi max performance turned off as well, goto wifi settings, advanced menu.

And lastly switch the mobile data to GSM only, when you don't need a H/3G connection even if you're on a wifi connection as I find that it helps battery life and it also makes the voice reception stronger.

On the topic of battery life, some people are really getting great battery life, a lot of people reporting 6 hours on screen time and one guy even getting 7 hours on screen time, just wish they would give more detail though! :mad:

Newest ruu, completely stock No root...

4dbc83fe-5233-9583.jpg
4dbc83fe-5245-e5ec.jpg

If I use my phone like that (sms, whatsapp, few calls and mail), I can get about 6 to 7 hours of screen on time...

Bit usually with normal use like browsing, YouTube and some games my screen on time is about 4 hours...

Btw, Standby time seems to have improved with the newest FW

Here a ss with sms and whatsapp use

4d0aceab-be8c-89dd.jpg
4d0aceab-bea3-4b6a.jpg

Last edited:
Hmn under 3hrs screen time, weren't you guys on about getting 5-6hrs?

I'd say most of the usage was browsing and emails (i don't have a desk at work) so there's a lot of white on screen, but there was about 15mins iPlayer and 10mins gaming too.

I also sit in rooms with poor signal a lot, so maybe that is hurting it?

Hmn under 3hrs screen time, weren't you guys on about getting 5-6hrs?

I'd say most of the usage was browsing and emails (i don't have a desk at work) so there's a lot of white on screen, but there was about 15mins iPlayer and 10mins gaming too.

I also sit in rooms with poor signal a lot, so maybe that is hurting it?

Lowest on screen time seems to be about 4 hours, average seems to be about 4 hours 30 minutes and max is about 5 hours 15 minutes, it all comes down to the usage though.

Browsing is the biggest killer for me, but I do browse a lot and it would be my main use and as you said there if there are a lot of whites being displayed then that won't help.

Yup, a weak signal even for wifi won't help the battery life, it wouldn't be as bad as having a weak mobile data connection signal though.

That isn't an app, just click on the wee bar chart graph at the top of the screen with the current life time on it i.e. 1 day 0 hours 4min

Ah ok, then you're safe :p

Back
Top Bottom