***The Official HTC One Thread***

That's not true at all IMO, people are fickle and will simply buy what they perceive to be the best. I seriously don't think people go around saying they will only buy a Samsung :p.

Unfortunately it is as I've seen it first hand with people who are proud to call themselves Samsung Fanboys and will buy nothing but Galaxy phones and will hiss at anyone who dares diss the Galaxy range. :eek:

Example I know someone who has bought the original Galaxy S all the way through to the S3 and has a pre order for the S4 in. He has dismissed every other phone that is available now and won't even consider buying anything else. In his mind the Galaxy range are the best and yes the S3 in particular the LTE version was an awesome phone and IMO that would still me top of the smartphone pile had Samsung not refreshed the Galaxy range so quickly.

Last edited:
Seriously have wanted to root and flash custom ROMs etc. on my S, but each time I read posts where people encounter the standard niggles with ROMs i.e. slow down, battery drain, GPS not locking on quickly etc. it just puts me of straight away, cba dealing with that stuff :p

Your welcome! :D :p Hopefully the rumours of a snapdragon powered nexus 7 next month will be true, if it turns out to be really good and the price is nice like the nexus 7, I might just get one and not bother with replacing my S till next year.

Seriously have wanted to root and flash custom ROMs etc. on my S, but each time I read posts where people encounter the standard niggles with ROMs i.e. slow down, battery drain, GPS not locking on quickly etc. it just puts me of straight away, cba dealing with that stuff :p

Your welcome! :D :p Hopefully the rumours of a snapdragon powered nexus 7 next month will be true, if it turns out to be really good and the price is nice like the nexus 7, I might just get one and not bother with replacing my S till next year.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm currently reading up on the process to unroot and relock the bootloader just in case the HO needs to be fixed under warranty purposes and it's just a mission. :confused:

I'll probably give it a couple of months and then attempt to root the HO, in the meantime I'll turn my attentions to the Nexus 7 instead. I hope the rumours prove to be true and a snapdragon N7 would be awesome. :)

I can't believe that you might actually hold onto your HOS until next year, surely not Mate? You have will power of steel! :p I certainly couldn't last that long especially with the likes of the "X" phone and Nexus 5 coming this year.

That's not true at all IMO, people are fickle and will simply buy what they perceive to be the best. I seriously don't think people go around saying they will only buy a Samsung :p.

There is at least one post in the S4 thread where somebody says 'The HTC One, is, well an HTC' as a reason for choosing the Samsung :p

Fortunately I think mine is perfectly flush, I can't feel any raised surfaces.

Hmmm, reading this makes me think I should get mine swapped? Trouble is what if the next one has two raised surfaces? etc etc.

This is why I wanted to hold out for CPW to get some, but hey. The good news is that the more I use this device the more I love it. It's fantastic.

@stoosh

The only things I really want improved with the S is screen size, res. pretty happy with everything else currently so a small tablet would in some ways be better for me when I think about it, sure the one and GS 4 bring nice improvements in the majority of areas, main ones for me being the one's speakers, camera overall and both devices screens (especially the GS 4 screen :cool:), but its not like the one S and other last gen. phones are slouches in the likes of the camera, battery, performance etc. department and for me, not worthy of the £380+ price tag (baring in mind, the one S is worth hardly anything now especially when mine has those wee nicks from the drop :(), in order for me to give that much money, it has to be a good/very noticeable upgrade overall, if you know what I mean. Bit like how I am with my PC, only upgrade when I really need to! :p

Of course if the X or/and nexus 5 are amazing and even better than the one and GS 4 then I might change my mind :p

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is as I've seen it first hand with people who are proud to call themselves Samsung Fanboys and will buy nothing but Galaxy phones and will hiss at anyone who dares diss the Galaxy range. :eek:

Example I know someone who has bought the original Galaxy S all the way through to the S3 and has a pre order for the S4 in. He has dismissed every other phone that is available now and won't even consider buying anything else. In his mind the Galaxy range are the best and yes the S3 in particular the LTE version was an awesome phone and IMO that would still me top of the smartphone pile had Samsung not refreshed the Galaxy range so quickly.

[TW]Fox;24190457 said:
There is at least one post in the S4 thread where somebody says 'The HTC One, is, well an HTC' as a reason for choosing the Samsung :p

People really are crazy, I thought people would have grown out of this sort of behaviour by now.

The big advantage of Android is that you can choose from a wide variety of manufacturers, so you really can just pick a phone that offers the most complete package without having to worry about app compatibility etc. I have an S2 at the moment and if I was buying a new phone now I'd favour the One over the S4. Why people restrict their choices through blind loyalty baffles me.

People really are crazy, I thought people would have grown out of this sort of behaviour by now.

The big advantage of Android is that you can choose from a wide variety of manufacturers, so you really can just pick a phone that offers the most complete package without having to worry about app compatibility etc. I have an S2 at the moment and if I was buying a new phone now I'd favour the One over the S4. Why people restrict their choices through blind loyalty baffles me.
if i had to choose i would go with a S4 purely because it offers more storage

Took the dog for a long walk and fired up Poweramp had a tweak and I'm so pleased with the sound quality :) bass, but clear and full.... Much better than my iPhone 4s was

Can things get any better with this handset

[TW]Fox;24190470 said:
Hmmm, reading this makes me think I should get mine swapped? Trouble is what if the next one has two raised surfaces? etc etc.

This is why I wanted to hold out for CPW to get some, but hey. The good news is that the more I use this device the more I love it. It's fantastic.

Yep after a full days use I've got nothing but praise for mine. It's superb.

2 little niggles today though.

1: Google Nav seemed to have quite a bit of trouble navigating from Worksop to Cleethorpes. It's a straight A1> M18> M180 but it tried to take me a route that I've never tried or heard of. It also had some serious problems with rerouting which I've not experienced.

2: I put my hand in pocket and felt something sharp which turned out t be the edge of the headphone socket.

On the other hand I'm very impressed with the camera, particularly its dynamic range. I never use phone cams as I've always got my SLR with me but a couple of samples taken today have given me some confidence.

This is straight out of the phone and just resized for the forum.

IMAG0011a_zps2ec8aa19.jpg

Last edited:
Yup it is pathetic the way people choose one device over another purely because of the brand name, unfortunately it is a huge part of sales/popularity.

Many average joes would go for Samsung, Sony devices due to them being well known and generally having good devices all round (HTC only do phones, nothing else) where as many many many people will never have heard of HTC or/and assume that they aren't as good, as someone else said, average joes would view HTC as we would view ZTE, Huawei etc. devices :(

Got my HTC One (silver) this morning direct from a P4U store. Everything seems fine except the polycarbonate cutout for the power button at the top seems very rough around the edges, with tiny scratches and nicks on the power button surface itself. There's also a 1cm nick along the top speaker grill where it meets the polycarbonate, as if someone had wedged a flathead screwdriver in there. There's also an obvious gap along the speaker grill, but I'm not too fussed about that. I get the impression that this is a repackaged phone that probably got sent back to HTC for the same issue I'm having. See the picture below, sorry for the poor quality on my old phone, its hard to see the defect, but its quite noticeable to the naked eye:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7416/imag0194resize.jpg

If the image is larger than 1280 pixels wide please resize, link only or put in spoiler tags. Thank you.

Anyway, I opened the box at the store after purchasing it, wasn't happy with the defects mentioned above and requested an exchange. After a lengthy discussion with the store manager about these defects, they weren't having any of it and insisted that this wasn't a fault with the device and that they didn't have any more units to provide an exchange with anyway. In the end, the manager made a service enquiry with the head office to see what they can do and the guy said he would give me phonecall on Tuesday when the get a new shipment of phones, but couldn't guarantee an exchange/refund unless he got authorisation from the head office (or something to that effect). He also gave me a receipt of service query.

Other than this the phone seems perfect and the screen is actually perfect, no dead pixels or backlight bleeding, truly a gorgeous looking screen. It's just this damn shell defect that has spoiled all the fun! :mad:

Am I overreacting? Is it reasonable for me to pursue a refund/exchange? If P4U refuse, would HTC provide an exchange?

Owned Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab & when the Samsung Rep p***** me off I cussed out the plastic build of their phone quite loudly in the store & the cartoon like colour scheme of their GUI & then went right ahead & cancel my S4 pre-order & ordered a HO.

Ordered the Poetic Atmosphere Clear/Gray case & the Liquid Armour protector for the screen.

Back
Top Bottom