***The Official HTC One Thread***

I would like to ask you guys that are just going to 'live with' the little defects in your phones whether you would buy a new premium car (lets take BMW for example) and be happy with the bumper not being correctly aligned, or the headlights being wonky?

I can't understand people buying a premium device and being happy with something that isn't essentially perfect?

Personally it's because I just feel done with worrying over phones. Having had every major Android release over the past 3 years they've almost all cost a bomb and almost all been imperfect in some way. My Nexus 4 for example has a slight gap between the bezel and the base of the phone. The Nexus S I had was pretty creaky. The GS3 had a pink tinge on the screen.

As long as everything works and nothing's falling off, I'm not too bothered these days. I just want to enjoy using the device. I appreciate others may feel differently though.

... and now I found a dead pixel and a few stuck pixels. Sigh.

Gonna go to the store tomorrow and demand a refund.

Yeah, that is certainly grounds for a swap! Sounds like you got a totally duff one :(

Last edited:
Couldn't live with all the issues mentioned i.e. by titanium, although I would need to feel the "sharp" parts first, i could live with the tiny gap and screen not being exactly flush with the rest of the device.

Why am I not bothered about those two things? Because they aren't even a full mm and every phone that I have seen/used has several gaps and they all look to be the same size as what we have seen in the photos posted in this thread, from seeing GS 4 reviews etc. I can see a gap all the way around where the back part connects to the rest of the device (and just below the screen), a gap around the camera lens

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05710-1366741454.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05555.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05553.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05538.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/04/dsc05492.jpg

That doesn't bother me at all in the slightest and I doubt that anyone will be even mentioning about those gaps in any GS 4 thread.

Now if there was a gap on the part where the "zero gap" term applies, then I would perhaps be a bit bothered about it, but would I return the device for a new one if we are talking about a very tiny gap, probably not.

As for the screen not being flush with the rest of the device, if we are talking about it being very tiny again as shown in here, then that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, again the only device(s) where this isn't an issue (from my experience) are on devices where the entire front is glass like the nexus 4, GS 3.

Personally for me the rest of the build/perceived quality and not to mention design are still far above the GS 4 etc.

EDIT:

Yup stoosh, I really like the nexus 4, could swap my S for one, but the camera and lack of features stop me from doing so :(

You wouldn't be saying that if your thumb was sliding over it and feeling that unnatural feeling mate. I'm might try to fix it using hairdryer to loosen the glue then clamp it down

you didn't get it did you.. ho as in whore.. jeez.

:o

Anyway, Dialaphone were brilliant and got my replacement to me by next day delivery. Unfortunately, i can't say the same about my Royal Mail postie. He did the old trick of sticking the "Sorry you were out" card through the letter box without knocking at 9am on Saturday. Then instead of returning the parcel to the post office so i could at least go down there to pick it up myself, he has written that it will be at the post office on Monday. And now it's showing on the online tracking as "delivered" for some reason (can't view the electronic signature yet though - that'll be interesting when i can), so who knows where it is or who has got it at the moment.

Oh what i would have given to have caught him. He'd have got an ear full from me and a complaint.

The weather location thing is irritating, it usually just says Current Location rather than where I am. A problem I never had with my last HTC. Anyone else?

[TW]Fox;24194266 said:
The weather location thing is irritating, it usually just says Current Location rather than where I am. A problem I never had with my last HTC. Anyone else?

Every now and then, but it tends to figure itself out.

All the time for me, pretty much. Says 'My Location' on lock screen.

When I enter the weather app it says cannot contact location service.

Yet Google maps etc knows my location...

Last edited:
You wouldn't be saying that if your thumb was sliding over it and feeling that unnatural feeling mate. I'm might try to fix it using hairdryer to loosen the glue then clamp it down

It is rather annoying isn't it? All four of the HO's I've had exhibited the same problem I've heard that the hairdryer method works well. Let us know how you get on Mate if you try the fix.

Quality. Glad to see someone with good taste in music :D

Someone here's gotta represent and be a Dude when it comes to music! ;)

[TW]Fox;24194266 said:

Yep, I couldn't get the home screen to detect my location either even after I added my home town manually.

It's not a big deal for me as I'm not using the Sense home screen anymore but I can fully understand how irritating it would be.

It is rather annoying isn't it? All four of the HO's I've had exhibited the same problem I've heard that the hairdryer method works well. Let us know how you get on Mate if you try the fix.

You've returned 4 HO's because of that?

Seriously? Some people clearly have too much time on their hands!

You are always going to feel some kind of a join at that point because it's actually a join of two completely different materials.

You've returned 4 HO's because of that?

Seriously? Some people clearly have too much time on their hands!

You are always going to feel some kind of a join at that point because it's actually a join of two completely different materials.

Chill out I didn't say that I returned four HO's because of the screen raise problem, it was down to all sorts of issues....obviously you can spend £500 and not give a damn about the build quality. Either you're incredibly frivolous or have no standards.

No, under normal use you wouldn't have your finger near it. I struggle to understand why people would complain about being able to feel a join where there is a join.

It is under normal usage that I detected the issue on mine pal. It's an issue because it's a gradual increase in the height difference from the right to the left of the bottom where speaker grill & the screen mean. This gradual increase in height makes me think it's the uneven application of the glue for the speaker grill or some dodgy clamping whilst the two surface mate that's the cause of the issue.

And yes, it gets annoying as your thumb slides over it again & again.

I'll let you know if I take a brave pill & do it.:p

For those having issues with the weather thing. I got mine to work after downloading GSP Test off the market & went into the settings of it & clear the AGPS then updated AGPS then allowed the device to get a GPS fix with the app. After that my weather works properly.

Back
Top Bottom