***The Official HTC One Thread***

Oh dear! :(

Dropped from waist height, scooted face down on garage floor

Got insurance cover

My lad broke his s3 in a similar manner fri, we're with insureandgo, recommended off moneysavingexpert.com, iirc, gonna ring them tomorrow and see what they're like:confused:

Edit to say he had the official Samsung flap cover, I reckon we'll get the Poetic hardback as it clasp closes and IMHO is all round better.

Last edited:
I'm still confused as to how it looked fine when I first picked it up, wiped it down and put the on the side board, 10 mins later its shattered, I'm currently waiting HTC to swap it out as the screen is on wonky, not sure if that made things worse :(

That is a complete joke. These new phones come out and it would seem none of the manufacturers spend anytime actually testing the durability of the device with drops. The case in this case (pun) did little to protect the screen. I'm getting fed up of reading stories of the whole screen not being able to take the impact of a small drop. Last generation only apple managed to improve durability in the drop test with a metal back and possibly stronger screen. The generation before the galaxy s2 was far more robust and drop proof compared to current generation.

Sorry for the rant but these are expensive phones! :mad:

Erm what..

The case was never going to protect the screen, it wasn't designed too. Apple's devices are much worse in drop tests than the gorilla glass screens.

The only time screens were better was when they weren't touchscreen, or were of cheap design e.g. plastic.

That is a complete joke. These new phones come out and it would seem none of the manufacturers spend anytime actually testing the durability of the device with drops. The case in this case (pun) did little to protect the screen. I'm getting fed up of reading stories of the whole screen not being able to take the impact of a small drop. Last generation only apple managed to improve durability in the drop test with a metal back and possibly stronger screen. The generation before the galaxy s2 was far more robust and drop proof compared to current generation.

Sorry for the rant but these are expensive phones! :mad:

Waist height = small drop? Sorry but i wouldn't hold expectations of any phone screen surviving that, if it did it would be a bonus. And the case is meant to protect it when it lands face down? Errr, what?

It's just some few observations I have made over the years ever since smartphones really took off, that's all.

1. Every year they seem to come up with supposedly stronger gorilla glass, yet I think in the pursuit for thinness they have made it less resistance to drops. This I see in drop tests on youtube of the older Galaxy 2 vs the Galaxy s3 and now the galaxy s4. The S2 does better.

2. Apple went from a glass back to a metal back. The Nexus 4 device went in the a glass back and this is doesn't help with drops. I also suspect due to the smaller 4 inch screen, the current generation iPhone may be slight more resistant to cracks in the glass during drops. Conversely the android phones have a bigger pane of glass now due to larger screen size.

3. The case should have taken some energy from the impact away from the glass. I guess for this to work, the edges of the case itself have to create a raised lip rather than staying flush with the bezel of the phone.

4. I'm seeing more and more cases on this forums and xda forums of screens spontaneously cracking, not always immediately after a drop. Looks like there is no choice but to use a large case on an already large device. I'm just surprised that people are still happy for phones to seemingly get more and more fragile while its usage as a smartphone is becoming more ubiquitous for more areas other than a nicely carpeted room. People are going to drop their phones, we all drop things :D

5. Manufacturers these days don't seen to design phones to take any drops at all. I'm sure they could have a prominent and raised the bezel slightly like in the S2 for example or corners that act like shock absorbers or maybe better plastics so optics isn't effected and feel and durability is superior.

This is the most annoying thing ever, anyone else experience it?

On Whatsapp, the keyboard displays correctly. The bottom right enter key is an enter key, secondary button for the smileys.
UkdhVHF.png

But on the messaging app, the smiley is the default so every time I click enter it puts a smiley face???
GqMEsuj.png

I'm still confused as to how it looked fine when I first picked it up, wiped it down and put the on the side board, 10 mins later its shattered, I'm currently waiting HTC to swap it out as the screen is on wonky, not sure if that made things worse :(

Toughened glass is under huge internal stress, one small error and the whole thing shatters/explodes. It just took a while for a small chink to eventually fail.

Still waiting for the FW update on EE...

Still waiting on three as well.

I used my One in the official car dock (like I have been for a while). Yesterday the sun was out in full force though. My HTC got hot. Very very hot. So hot that it wouldn't charge while I was in the car (although it recognised it was plugged into a power source).

Could this damage it?

True, probably are, either way, it is better than zero/slow support *cough* Sony *cough* :p

Here you go:

No idea for what size, probably though. Yup, same camera hardware as the GS 4 and XZ (but let down by software :(), same screen panel as the HTC one, superb loudspeaker (far better than the XZ), solid build and perceived quality (possibly even better than the one! :eek:), nice design, decent battery life iirc all for around £350-400... what more could you ask for!

Unfortunately it probably will, all depends on how well the oppo 5 will do In Europe!

Nice find re the video Nexus :) I enjoy watching MKBHD reviews as he's straight forward and gets straight to the point.

Wow...that's all I have to say about Project Firefly on the Oppo 5, as Mr Marques Brownlee says "it's a beast of a phone!" LOL ;) Very impressive indeed.

Only £367 for the 32GB which is VFM! :cool: Back order for the midnight black version though :(

Hardware as you previously highlighted on par with other flagships but at a price which is incredible and a very viable alternative to those looking to get something other than the HO and S4 :D

Personally not too fussed on the software skin but it looks decent and better than most other skins imo. The apps have been ported over on XDA, haven't tried them due to people reporting crashes etc.

It is pretty tempting! :D

Just got mine back from HTC who claim to have rigorously tested it and can't find my fault. I open the front door, start filming across the street then move in to a close up object and it makes no attempt to focus...

Rigorous. Sure. I expect Samsung would do the same, but it kinda puts me off buying HTC. I explained in detail and offered a video, I doubt any of that is passed on.

Personally not too fussed on the software skin but it looks decent and better than most other skins imo. The apps have been ported over on XDA, haven't tried them due to people reporting crashes etc.

It is pretty tempting! :D

The skin is pretty much basic but the 1080p screen makes those icons just come alive, am going to have a good read over at XDA before I make my mind up although It's so tempting that my fingers hovering over the buy button :eek:

The only thing that's stopping me is that the midnight black version's on backorder :(

I have a Nillkin case and screen protector waiting just in case ;)

Just got mine back from HTC who claim to have rigorously tested it and can't find my fault. I open the front door, start filming across the street then move in to a close up object and it makes no attempt to focus...

Rigorous. Sure. I expect Samsung would do the same, but it kinda puts me off buying HTC. I explained in detail and offered a video, I doubt any of that is passed on.

That is hard luck Andy but that was to be expected as the same thing happened to someone else here on this forum and yes no doubt Samsung would've probably done the same.

What's your plan of action?

Back
Top Bottom