**** The Official Huawei Mate 20/Mate 20 Pro Thread ****

Recently announced from Huawei,

Mate 20 - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20-9367.php

Mate 20 Pro - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

Mate 20x - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_x-9369.php

Also Huawei are running a promotion, if you preorder a Mate 20 Pro you can claim a Free Huawei GT smart watch and wireless charger which seems like a pretty sweet deal, the watch is boasting a 12 day battery life which uses it's own OS rather than googles.

I'm personally interested in the Mate 20x which has 7.2" screen and 5,000Mah battery, it seems to be pitched as a gaming device, apparently there is going to be controller available (analogue stick and buttons) and can be attached to the phone, it will be the first phone to use graphene for cooling, I actually don't think it will 'too big', I purchased an Honor 8x for my GF today and was very surprised how compact it was for a 6.5" device due to the bezel-less design, and these days we are consuming so much media on our phones.

One other thing, I've got very used to using the finger print sensor for logging into my apps, banking etc, but recently read that the new underscreen biometric reader won't (initially at least) be compatible these apps, that is something you might want to take into consideration.

Which one are you guys temped by?

Last edited:
I was also excited by this phone but the custom fingerprint reader has put me off unfortunately, app compatibility is a major point for me as I use my phone for work also. I use my fingerprint with banking/finance apps and lastpass (I have many many passwords auto generated with max complexity).

The standard Mate 20 and 20x both have rear mounted finger print sensors just in case you was unaware, one of the main reasons I'm going for the 20x, plus the 5000mAH battery!

Last edited:
These phones are Android Enterprise recommended so they have to get regular updates.

True but,

"Android Enterprise Recommended helps ensure devices are up to date with regular security patches delivered within 90 days. Android Enterprise Recommended devices are also guaranteed to get at least one additional major OS update"

Have been reading the UK Huawei forum, and they've commented as follows. Not brilliant:

The Mate 20 Pro uses an industry-leading flexible OLED screen featuring special design curved edges for an enhanced visual experience and holding comfort. This may lead to slight discolouration when viewed from different angles. In extremely dim lighting conditions, when the screen brightness is too low, or when using dark wallpapers, these differences can be exaggerated. If the colour cast affects your normal use, take your phone to an authorized Customer service Center for assistance.

BS excuse that, does the samsung edge phones suffer from this problem? Doubt it.

Couple of question regarding the Mate 20,

Coming from the Mate 10 Pro the scrolling is smoother but the momentum seems to be slowed down, flick momentum in particular, it's like it's artificially slowed down?

HDR, does it work like like a a TV where by it automatically whacks your screen on full brightness? I've tried netflix out and the HDR logo appears but the brightness doesn't go up?

HDR takes a series of photos at different exposures then stitches them together to create an aggregate of them.

I know that, I was talking about hdr for video, Netflix in particular, on TV's hdr content maxes your backlight on your TV, I've tested YouTub hdr content and sometimes it seems to max out the brightness but not on Netflix for some reason.

Last edited:
Not really happy with the scrolling performance of the Mate 20 x, seems quite stuttery on heavy webpages with pictures or animated ads etc, what's strange is my old Mate 1O Pro was much smoother scrolling and more responsive.

Edit -

This seems to effect the Mate 20 Pro also, a lot of YouTube vids showing how poor the scrolling performance is, you scroll through google photos for example and it's very choppy, my mum's old phone with a Snapdragon 425 is liquid smooth doing the same!?

Last edited:
Still having very poor performance on scrolling in chrome browser on this phone,

Can someone test the following for me,

Load up the chrome browser, in the address/search bar type 'brownie recipe', now slowly scroll the page up and down, hitching, stuttering, not smooth at all.

Now do the same but use the google app, buttery smooth? doesn't make sense.

Now enable performance mode in the battery settings menu and try the same in chrome browser again, buttery smooth?

I swear when these phones were sent out for review they all had the performance mode on by default.

You notice any differences?

Would buying a 20x 4g version (i am not fond of the ommitions the 5g version has) be a bad thing essentially a year after release? I am currently on Mate 8 4GB ram and I cannot see any phone out there with the specs or screen the 20x offers.

Still a fantastic phone, I own one and I'm honestly temped to grab another one, it just hits so many plus points for me, headphone jack, large screen, fantastic battery life, great camera, decent stereo speakers, still getting regular updates, EMUI 10 out soon, for £499 I genuinely think outside of Chinese imports you can't really beat this phone, I run mine with Nova Launcher and it runs fine with no hiccups.

found my mate 20pro in a draw today, such a good phone and I much prefer it to the Samsung note 10 + (camera is totally insufficient for a 900 quid phone ). just a shame on the audio playback, don't think I can return to the one speak output again.

looking at Huawei's P40 line up is there any way of getting contactless payments to work without google services? that's the only thing stopping myself from returning to the Huawei range of phones. I see this being the biggest hurdle for these new phones if Huawei continues to push them in the western market.

Barclays uses it's own app for NFC payments so not sure if that will work with the P40, if it does you could change your bank!

Back
Top Bottom