**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Soldato
Took a photo of the led but can't get it to post the image, so click the link. It's not the biggest led notification but it is noticeable and does the job.

https://ibb.co/bKnEUJ
bKnEUJ

Thanks for that. Much appreciated

Soldato
I'm still on 110, and there's users on XDA discussing the 140 update. I'm surprised how slow Huawei are proving to be...

Android One seems the way to go next time.

Associate
Nerd rage has got the better of me... ordered a P20 Pro to replace the iPhone 8! iOS integration with things like LastPass finally drove me up the wall again, plus I wasn’t taking as many photos as before Mrs whiskycycle nicked my Pixel 2. Got a sweet deal on the P20 Pro (NHS discount) and fancied a change from just getting another Pixel 2.

Had an Honor 8 before, and got Mother whiskycycle a P10, and know the lie of the land with Huawei/Honor etc.

Just went with black, as I couldn’t stomach having the other glorious colours wrapped up in cases where you couldn’t see the colouring and the like. Looking forward to yet another change of phone, like the daft tech magpie I am.

Soldato
I know there have been a few posts about good screen protectors (I cba to dig out and quote the posts) but I got this :

Huawei P20 Lite Pro Genuine Full 3D Tempered Glass 9H Screen Protector Cover

On eBay, £4, and it's nice. It's got a curved edge so it's fits the screen properly, unlike the previous one I had that was completely flat.

Edit: sorry mean to say they do them for the P20/pro.

Soldato
Nerd rage has got the better of me... ordered a P20 Pro to replace the iPhone 8! iOS integration with things like LastPass finally drove me up the wall again, plus I wasn’t taking as many photos as before Mrs whiskycycle nicked my Pixel 2. Got a sweet deal on the P20 Pro (NHS discount) and fancied a change from just getting another Pixel 2.

Had an Honor 8 before, and got Mother whiskycycle a P10, and know the lie of the land with Huawei/Honor etc.

Just went with black, as I couldn’t stomach having the other glorious colours wrapped up in cases where you couldn’t see the colouring and the like. Looking forward to yet another change of phone, like the daft tech magpie I am.

Il be interested to hear thoughts of the p20 compared to the pixel 2 :)

Associate
Il be interested to hear thoughts of the p20 compared to the pixel 2 :)

Me too! Should get it today... Mrs whiskycycle might end up with the P20 and I nab back the Pixel 2, but given that the P20 seems a bit stroppy with Android Auto, she'll not entertain that idea at all, given her newfound devotion and love of Android Auto!

Can I ask what the NHS discount was that you got as I can access that also?

Register on Health Service Discounts with your NHS employee ID and there are quite a few on there... I used the EE deal, as it applies to new contracts, and in some cases you can apply the same code to renewals and still get the 20% discount. Approx £34 quid, no up front, for 8GB EE Max with the black P20 Pro + Freebuds deal. Realise I could probably eek a slightly better deal elsewhere, but the family data gifting is a godsend that I can't ignore.

Associate
All good so far. Not had a chance to test the camera properly, but a couple of shots I've tried look damn decent.

One annoying niggle: anchor the bottom buttons to the bottom (power port end) when the phone's in landscape orientation... Pixel does it, so no reason Huawei can't! Not enough to raise the need rage levels, but still an annoyance.

Soldato
Just got back from a trip to Prague, and my P20 Pro was wowing the iPhone users with its night mode photography. Trying to get some shots of the squares and bridges at night, the iPhones could only manage shots that looked too dark, lacking detail and a bit underexposed - whilst the P20 Pro was producing shots like this:

2018-07-22%2022.57.39.jpg

The night mode setting and the 3x optical zoom really made this a different beast from any other phone camera I've had when I've been taking pictures on my travels.

All good so far. Not had a chance to test the camera properly, but a couple of shots I've tried look damn decent.

One annoying niggle: anchor the bottom buttons to the bottom (power port end) when the phone's in landscape orientation... Pixel does it, so no reason Huawei can't! Not enough to raise the need rage levels, but still an annoyance.

I'd recommend trying to get used to using the hardware button. It frees up a bit more screen space and IMHO looks better. It took me some getting used to single press for back, long press for home but now it's second nature and I much prefer having the extra screen real estate (plus, of course, this button can't but stay anchored to the power port end! :))

Associate
I recommend trying to get used to using the hardware button. It frees up a bit more screen space and IMHO looks better. It took me some getting used to single press for back, long press for home but now it's second nature and I much prefer having the extra screen real estate (plus, of course, this button can't but stay anchored to the power port end! :))

I'm gonna have another go with the hardware button... Loving the phone so far otherwise.

Soldato
I'm gonna have another go with the hardware button... Loving the phone so far otherwise.

Yeah, the first time I tried the hardware button I switched back to the on-screen ones after a day or so. I kept going back when I meant to go the home screen or bring up the open apps list.

The second time I persevered a bit longer. Took me a few days I think to properly get used to it, but you do get a nice amount of extra usable screen space, so it is worth it (plus it looks better...)

Soldato
currently thinking of switching from apple (iPhone 6s) to Huawei... I heard so much about Huawei and about their 'brilliant performance'.. well the price is also high, but thats the same when you buy an Apple device :D:D would you recommend switching? or is there anyone who switched from iPhone to Huawei? ;)

Well, there are some things I would express to someone considering it. There are some (very) good and some (annoyingly) bad aspect of this phone.

The Good:
The main positives are always going to focus on the camera hardware. It is exceptional, and offers options not found on any other models. The 3x optical zoom and the superb night mode are the killer features. On the software side there are some annoyances with the camera, but in terms of what it is capable of, it is extremely impressive.

The other killer feature is the battery - far and away the best battery time I have ever had in a phone. It is head and shoulders above any other phone I've used in this respect.

The build quality is pretty good, and whilst the phone is generally snappy to use it doesn't have the raw power of other flagships. This may or may not be an issue. Fingerprint scanning and face recognition feel almost instant.

The Marmite:
EMUI - some people like it, some people hate it. It's probably an idea to have a play around with a phone with EMUI on it if you can find a phone shop that will let you.

The notch and lack of headphone socket annoy some people. Coming from an iPhone, though, I guess you'll be used to that.

The Bad:
Wifi reception is not as good as Samsung phones I've had, and it has an annoying habit of failing to reconnect to a wifi network when coming back in range. This is the biggest annoyance for me.

The screen is actually pretty good to my eyes, but it doesn't have the PPI of some other flagships so it is objectively inferior in that respect.

The vibration motor is very weak and I can't see a way to increase its power. I can't feel the vibrations reliably when the phone is in my pocket, which means I need the ringer on if I want to actually pick up calls or notifications. This is the second biggest annoyance for me!

I guess you need to balance all those up - but probably best to see if you can have a go on one for a bit, I guess.

Soldato
Looks like they have finally fixed all issues with Android Auto on the July update. Time to rebuy this phone I think, fed up of my Samsung S8+'s battery now.

Soldato
Just ordered a blue version of the p20 pro, should come tomorrow. Hopefully a bit on an upgrade from the galaxy s8, hate not having an actual home button!

Hopefully play old school runescape better too :p looking forward to the free ear buds too!

Soldato
looking forward to the free ear buds too!

I wouldn't get too excited! They're pretty horrible really. Solid plastic buds with no rubber grommets. Not only do they fall out of my ears too easily, they are so uncomfortable to wear compared to other in-ear phones that I've not used them since I first tried them out. I use Bluetooth buds and also use the included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter for my Creative in-ear buds instead.

Back
Top Bottom